Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Hello,

I wonder how many people here use Mac. There are issues related to websites and design that may be unique to the Mac platform. I am interested to explore these issues with you — exchange ideas, share links, known software (open source, shareware, commercial, etc.)

Basically, help each other set up a database of web resources that we found to be useful for what we do.

Just post below, if you are a Mac user, and if you are interested.

Thanks.

Cornelio

questbg Friend

<em>@cgc0202 58919 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hello,
    Just post below, if you are a Mac user, and if you are interested.
    </blockquote>

Absolutely, count me in! 🙂

Not sure how much help I could be though, I’m totally new to Joomla!

Our current ‘printed’ monthly magazine is losing out to the internet, so decided to ‘port’ the whole thing online, but this is new ground to me!

Still, I could sure be a great asset when it comes to finding bugs 😎

bigrk Friend

I haven’t really heard of anyone here at JA that uses a Mac. I know there are a lot of Mac users at RocketTheme though.

cgc0202 Friend

Thanks Chris, bigrk,

I am hoping there would be a lot more. Supposedly, Mac is big in webdesign and art departments. Now, even in film.

Cornelio

TomC Moderator

SCREW MAC !!!!

hehehehe .. . . . just kidding. Life long PC user here. :p

I actually like Macs for some things – I just remember getting frustrated over the relative lack of software for Mac versus that for PC. Not trying to get into a “which is better” debate – Mac’s are definitely awesome for graphic design and video work – no doubt about it.

cgc0202 Friend

Hi Tom,

I try to avoid going into the slugfest too. I just use what I found to be best for me.

I don’t know if you ever used both Mac and PC, extensively over the years, I have used both of the while in training, and later own in research laboratories. From my experience over the years, if the laboratory equipment maker provided an option for a Mac- vs PC-driven equipment, I always used the Mac version. They were so much easier to use, and were less troublesome. In fact, in the laboratory, they were seldom turned off, and strangely, I never recall having any ofthose in the lab serviced. Quite amazing because many were used to drive common equipment and everyone in the Department used them

During my early experience in research laboratories, I did not have much preference, except I was predisposed with the Apple. They seemed more easy to work while I was strunggling with the Windows machines. I I bought my first computer, from the Harvard Computer store. Kind of costly then, about $1500 with extra RAM for my first Apple computer.

In 1994, I asked my Department head to buy me the top of the line Mac, which cost more than $5000 with a large screen. He cringed because the best Dell computer at the time was under $2000 with many gizmos you can throw in. All the rest were just issued the standard $1200-1300 Dell computers. The Mac was my office computer during the day, and “personal computer” after work — free T1 internet connection when the internet was really just coming to more widespread use. Although actually in mid 1994, there was just a pre-Netscape (I forgot the name now), and if I am not mistaken, Netscape came out later that year, or early in 1995.

I had three personal Apple computers since then, my second one was a second hand bought in 1996. Then I bought my first iMac (second generation) in 1999 and later on I bought a iBook (G4) in 2003 because I came back in Boston and left the other computers in the Condo.

Guess what, all of them are still working (except the second hand I bought in 1996, the screen gave out when I used it in December 2007. I could have replaced the screen but it was not practical, it was a dinasaur compared to today’s computers. The only one that I have to have serviced was when my iBook when it was new. After installing the extra RAM, a few days after, it acted up. I had to bring it back to the Boston U computer store. They do not know what was wrong with it, but I told them that it acted up only when they installed the extra third party RA. After they could not figure out what went wrong, they replaced the extra RAM with the standard one used with Apple — no extra cost. No more problems except when I open to many programs at the same time, plus several kinds of browsers — Netscape and Internet Explorer (IE), then added Safari and Camino, then Firefox the past few years, to ensure that my webpage looked OK with the different browsers. I always had the worst time trying to make the one I was working with to look good with IE, so that when Microsoft stopped updating IE a few years back, I gave up on it.

With this experience, I never had any misgivings about preferring a Mac. I just keep mum, when those around me seem to think that I must be crazy because everyone else is using PC.

Knock on wood, my reliable G4 iBook, is still what I am using right now. The new Macs which are gazilion times faster now are so enticing compared to my old G4 iBook, but I hope it will last many more years because I am excited about the coming Snow Leopard — which was meant for parallel computing.

Cornelio

cgc0202 Friend

Hi Tom,

<em>@tcraw1010 58981 wrote:</em><blockquote>
    Not trying to get into a “which is better” debate – Mac’s are definitely awesome for graphic design and video work – no doubt about it.</blockquote>

This has never been disputed. The programs they created for movies have revolutionized movie making; they were “so cheap” relative to the ones used by major studios that it allowed independent, including individuals to become film makers. I believe many of the movies presented in independent venues, like the Sundance Festival, came from such works.

Their products, including Apple’s Final Cut Pro, have been replacing the gold standard film making accessories, produced by Avid, and threatens the very survival of the latter company:

Fade to Gray at Avid Technology

<em>@tcraw1010 58981 wrote:</em><blockquote>SCREW MAC !!!!

hehehehe .. . . . just kidding. Life long PC user here. :p

I actually like Macs for some things – I just remember getting frustrated over the relative lack of software for Mac versus that for PC.
    </blockquote>

Hmmm… actually there are a lot of long time PC users who are migrating to Mac, especially with the Vista troubles that they experienced, including some well-known gurus of the PC world. I read an article by one of the PC gurus, who decided to try the Mac and write about it; but then after a few months, he converted completely to using Mac for his personal use. He had to use PC at work because that is the one they cover in their magazine mostly. After his immersion into the Mac, and further research, he wrote also about “Myths about Macs”, and when he tried to learn more about Macs since he got so enamored with his MacBook Pro, one of the things he found to be a myth, that he himself always kept on saying it the idea that as you stated so just above ” …over the relative lack of software for Mac versus that for PC…”

When I come across his article again, I will post it here.

According to him, there are tens of thousands of programs for the Mac, especially in Education and most serious endeavors. And, what he was surprised about was that it seemed only “fewer” because unlike the PC world, many of these Apple programs actually are not sold or distributed in the usual stores where the average consumer shop but through the internet. At least that is true for my case. For example, I downloaded most of the programs I use for website creation.

His other point, about the lack of merit of the argument on the number of programs for the Mac is that in reality most average people really do not use many programs, unless you are a dedicated gamer. Many of the needs of the average user could be satisfied with the products like Microsoft Office as well as the free softwares, like browsers, and email programs — many of the latter being free.

The only area where he found PC to have undisputed advantage, right now, in terms of quality and quantity is gaming softwares. But, even there his research showed that there were many thousands of programs especially in the education and science area.

This advantage of course may not be long. It is possible in fact that with the advent of mobile computing, the current interest on the iPhone and iPod touch has attracted so many interest in developing programs for the new OS developed by Apple for the iPhone and iPod touch. Apple claims that more than 250,000 have downloaded their SDK since its release in March 2008. They claim several tens of thousands have applied, but since the platform is still new, and the Apps Store has not been fully tested in real setting, they decided to accept just a couple of thousands when the Apps Store would open either late this month or next. Many big names that usually work with gaming in the PC and never developed any for the Mac, were so excited — what with the tens of millions of iPod users already, and the growing iPhone based expected to increase during the coming years. With the Apps Store, with no parallel elsewhere, even single developers have the clout to reach these tens of millions potential customers. In fact, some of those selected for the presentation included individual developers. One guy develop his “Band” software after his work (I think he worked in the Bank).

I am not really into gaming but I am most excited with the revolution that will come with mobile computing in relation to the education and the internet — the iTunes University is becoming the iPhone University, and will have greater reach in other countries because mobile phones are more affordable. I can envision, where the prominent universities all over the world would have truly global reach with their extension education. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) is most aggressive in sharing its educational programs online. BBC for example has especially tailored a program for the iPhone and the iTunes — guess what it is making a fortune, and so do some other non-profit groups like PBS getting an added source of revenue. The educational quality of the programs coming from these groups is what I am most interested with, to counter balance the garbage information in the internet.

In the Philippines where I came from, many are very poor, but the joke among us who visit our country was that it seems that even the young children had their own phone. The reach of the cell phone in Asia is really quite enormous, even much more than here in the US.

A few years back, we had what was called the “text messaging revolution” — where the effort of the Administration at that time, was thwarted when there were instant massive rallies, as activists text their friends who then text their friends, and so on. Eventually, it toppled the Administration, without any shot fired. These are the unexpected developments of the cell phone were more than what were possibly ever been envisioned by the companies who made them.

I just had a brief look at the in the Apple store in Cambridge because it was so packed, I thought I had ten thumbs then. I spent more time observing pre-kindegarten kids playing with the computers in the kid corner, while the parents were as busy trying to have their hands on learning. I have never seen any spectacle like that where many are so excited and the staff are so nice, eager to help but not too pushy.

The Apple Store was indeed a stroke of genius. Their one-on-one program was perhaps the most important in the whole store because it allowed senior citizens, and those who are computer challenged to get one on one instructions — for under $2 each week. I was amazed but not all too surprised (most likely because of they were made welcome to try, and be taught) how many old people (graying hair and all) were actually coming out with the iMac from the Apple Store. Of course, there were more coming out with small bags, either an iPod or the costly iPhone then.

When I visited the Boston Apple Store when it opened last May, I had a second look at the old iPhone. It turned out, it was easier to use the “virtual keyboard” as it is. I understand someone came up with a horizontal version, so that this would even be easier. I am not rushing to go buy one though, because I really do not spend right now on the phone. I still prefer my old trusty Apple notebook when I use the internet, but it is killing my back, especially if I bring my old D200 Nikon, my widelens and a stable tripod. My dentist kept on asking me whether I was going on vacation, when I visit.

Will all this bode well for the Mac, and increasing Mac users? Perhaps, their experience with iPod (more than hundred million?) had enormous impact on many finding the Mac really as the computer for the tech-challenged. Something that us pioneer users knew all along, even when Apple was almost in its deathbed sometime in late 1999. My only worry then was what computer was I going to use, if indeed Apple was going to go under. I did not relish going to a PC.

The only great mistake I guess I made at that time was that I did not have as much faith on the survival of Apple. Had I had a crystal ball then and new that Apple would be what it is now, I could literally have become a billionaire now had I sanked all my nest egg to the stocks of Apple company, literally in its deathbed. I believe the stock was less than $2.

But, those were difficult times. The internet bubble burst in late 1999 and it sank from its high since then for a few years. Until now in fact, it has not recovered from the crazy highs of the 1990’s. Being a more cautious investor, during those trying times, I preferred the safety of mutual funds, but no one who was invested in the stock market then from the deep plunge. So, I do not dwell too much of what could have been. I am content that I am not yet in the poor house, although there is no such safety net now, in the US.

Cornelio

questbg Friend

I’m using a 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 20″ monitor. It works perfect for me!

Oh, I’ve also got a partition on the HD and I’m running Windows on that if I ever feel the need, or come across a web site that won’t work at all on the Mac.

As to the age-old debate about ‘which is best’ I tend to stay out of that one. If it feels right for you, then use it!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  questbg 16 years, 4 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum