Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

I have finished the first stage of my new site using JA-Pollux with Joomla 1.5
    you can see it at http:// chooknet dot com dot au
    i removed the link from here because google found it!

I am new to Joomla so the site features a very basic customisation of the logo and header graphic with a dash of bright color to suit the theme of the site, chooks! ( If you don’t already know, chook is an Australian word for chicken )

Image gallery is Simple Image Gallery Pro
    Classified Ads is AdsManager 2.1.9

TomC Moderator

I admire your integration of the AdsManager component with your site – nicely done.

So you have a system in place so as to realize revenue from either people placing ads and/or from a percentage of the sales price?

studiowest Friend

I havent launched the site yet so I am still deciding about the revenue side .. I think I will have a limit of 3 free text ads at any one time per person, and a fee for extra ads, and a fee for adding a photo.
    There is a local newspaper here which has free text ads and that is my competition, thats the only place for people to sell their chooks at the moment so I have to offer some sort of free ad system similar to theirs.
    I also have to confirm about AdsManager if the ads and their photos are deleted automatically upon expiration of the ad.
    I am also thinking I should launch it nationally with a seperate ads section for each state, with a map of the country on the home page as the entry point to the ads. So I will be working on that over the next week or two.

TomC Moderator

I haven’t been sure whether or not AdsManager allows for fees within the component – so I will be very interested in seeing/hearing if and how you are able to accomplish this.

studiowest Friend

I have decided to make all the ads free and focus on building the online shop. However a friend of mine is setting up a classified ads site on Joomla 1.5 and she is using SOBI2. SOBI has a free menu module that displays the SOBI categories list inside a joomla menu very similar to adsmanager.
    SOBI is very easy to customise the HTML output and is already complete with Paypal support and image resizing on upload.

There are other plugins and addons for SOBI eg. a kilometre radius search by postcode, and featured entries but I havent confirmed if they work on J1.5. The SOBI website says they are for J1.0.

The adsmanager guys have a great support forum, answering questions almost immediately and even agreed to customise their new JDirectory for my friend to include the paypal support and image resizing on upload,(for a fee) however their developer is getting married early June and my friend couldnt wait that long to get her site live so thats why she is using SOBI because it has everything she needs already, and for free although it doesnt look as nice as adsmanager i am sure the html output can be customised enough to make it look similar.

If you search within the adsmanager forum, there has been a custom paypal module or plugin developed for adsmanager already. i am not sure how much it costs though but you can buy it for a fee.
    If I was going to charge for ads on my site i think i would just buy the paypal module for adsmanager. I think you can get it from joomprod.com but you have to search the forums to find it!

Sharon

mfcphil Friend

Good looking site which would be improved with a few images here and there.

studiowest Friend

Thanks yeh it does look a bit bare and white – i havent had time to have a look at the template and how to fit more images in without distorting everything but i am sure it can be done easily enough. Some templates are easier to add images to than others.

studiowest Friend

I have changed the site to JA-Xenia because I wanted the latest ads to show at the top module positions. I think JA-Xenia looks better now.

cuemkid Friend

good job! how long you have seen joomla? How about it?

studiowest Friend

I have only been using Joomla for three months. So I guess you would call me a newbie!

cuemkid Friend

I’m a newbie too.

I suggest you that some repeated pictures is not beautiful, such as No-Image picture.

Cheers!

Kid

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  cuemkid 16 years, 4 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum