Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Ja Edenite template:
    http://www.joomlart.com/templates_club/club_portfolio/ja_edenite.html
    As far I can see, the Top menu completely duplicates the left vertical menu. Does it possible make Top menu displayed only few required links, not all? If yes, where this adjusted? In Joomla default rhuk_solarflare_ii template this already preset, so Top menu display only few links.
    Does it possible change color of Top menu bar? Where it adjusted?

TomC Moderator

It’s possible to change anything you want within the templates.

cerntauri Friend

<em>@tcraw1010 51676 wrote:</em><blockquote>It’s possible to change anything you want within the templates.</blockquote>

How specifically? You mean in Main Menu module itself? (by changing values in Menu Class Suffix or Module Class Suffix)

TomC Moderator

The beauty of working with Joomla templates is that the vast majority of them are based on CSS web design. This means that you have virtual control over any / all aspects of the layout of your site.

Now, I will admit that often times the way in which the Joomla Development Team (or any designer who isn’t you or me for that matter) sometimes labels their CSS rules and classes in ways that it seems only they can understand. However, with a little logical inspection, it is usually relatively easy to figure out which CSS rules control which aspect of the template.

For example, if you want to change the background color of the top main navigation menu, all you need do is determine which CSS rule(s) apply to that element, inspect the parameters within the rule(s), and modifying them to whatever specifications you require. Sometimes it’s as simple as changing a background color, sometimes it involves modifying and/or replacing a background image that is used.

Now, ff the Development Team created the template in such a way as to offer several different color options via the module class suffix, then that is an option too. Generally, this information is presented within the relative template’s information page.

Basically, if there is a particular element that you are having trouble with and you need some guidance on how to accomplish your desired goal, the JoomlART Forums are your first line of defense (so to speak) in seeking such assistance. The ultimate goal, however, should always be broadening your own experience and knowledge base sot hat these tasks become relatively easier and easier for you to handle on your own as you progress further.

When I discovered Joomla and, shortly thereafter, discovered JoomlART – my knowledge of working with CSS and php was next to nil. However, through a lot of time working through trial-and-error, seeking assistance when I ultimately couldn’t figure something out, and taking all that I learned and building upon it as I progressed . . . I find that have been having a whole lot more fun working with Joomla and Joomla sites.

😎

cerntauri Friend

I know, however that all things is edited via css. The thing is not to climb into css file each time when we need to change someting. Its much more handy to do this from menu modules.

TomC Moderator

Well, I do not believe this is how even Joomla 1.5 is configured. Again, unless a particular module class suffix was developed as part of the template package, when you want to modify the look and layout of a particular module and/or element, you need to work with the relative CSS files.

cerntauri Friend

Does the Ja Edenite template has this option? (changing module class suffix which developed as part of the template package) This is something simple, and probably depends how Joomla configured : for example new Joomla 1.0 setup with default rhuk_solarflare_ii template – top navigation bar show just 4 links (Home, Contact Us, News, Links) whereas Main Menu(left) show 9 links.

There is no sense duplicate the Main Menu.

TomC Moderator

And you do not have to duplicate the main menu . . . . all you have to do is either use one of the other menus (i.e. user), or simply create a new one in the Menu Manager and assign it to the left position.

cerntauri Friend

But how to control Top menu items? I just checked Menu Manager > topmenu: it have only 5 menu items published(Home, Contact Us, News, Links, Joomla International), whereas actually it shows all 10 items, i.e. just duplicates Main Menu.
    Also, in Module Manager(site) the Top Menu module is not published at all. So, this bar isn’t Top menu?

TomC Moderator

Can you provide a link to your site?

cerntauri Friend

here is: link

TomC Moderator

Okay . . . So what is it exactly you are wanting to accomplish?

cerntauri Friend

I want to adjust Top menu – I do not need to show all menu items, currently it duplicates the Main Menu items, there is no space enough even for Search form. I cannot find how to change this Top menu items. I want make this Top bar show only items I need, not connected with Main Menu items.

TomC Moderator

I have a question . . . . How is it that you are using the JA Edenite template as an unlicensed member?

cerntauri Friend

I not use it at all yet, its just sample installed for testing purpose, among many others templates. When I’ll find an appropriate template, I’ll certainly purchase it to have full advantages of licensed user (updates, fixes, etc)

It looks like this template have top horizontal navigation connected (linked) to the Main Menu, so this is one and the same menu, by design. Is not very convenient, in my opinion.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

This topic contains 22 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  TomC 16 years, 5 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum