Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

I’m having trouble understanding how to add module positions. We would like to have positions on this theme like the user 1-5 positions only below the breadcrumb. Whenever I try to create the modules, they don’t evenly span out correctly. Please help! Thanks!

TomC Moderator

Are you asking how to create a new block of positions?

Positions and modules are two different things. Modules can be created easily and assigned to positions.

Incidentally, where the heck ARE the breadcrumbs located? :confused:

himangi Friend

Hi abrill,

1. Please go to site joomla admin > Extensions> template Manager > Ja Rave (Your Template). In J1.5, in Global tab, in Profile Override Settings, check which profile is being used. In J1.6, the same setting is there in the left column.
    2. If you havent made any changes in the original template, you must be using default profile with default layout.

3. Now go to Layouts Tab and click on the EDIT link infront of the Default layout.
    4. Find codeline something like <block name=”content-top” type=”navhelper” main-inner=”1″>breadcrumbs</block> which defines where to show breadcrumbs.
    5. You need to paste following code above / below your breadcrumbs. <block name=”content-mass-top” type=”spotlight” main-inner=”1″>yourposition1,yourposition2,yourposition3,yourposition4,yourposition5</block> This code will place your new module positions at the top of the middle block.

Please note that this process will create some new positions in your template but this does not create positions in your module positions list, which you see while editing a module.. You can type your position in that inputbox and then you can use it to place your module..

abrill Friend

<em>@tcraw1010 248752 wrote:</em><blockquote>Are you asking how to create a new block of positions?

Positions and modules are two different things. Modules can be created easily and assigned to positions.

Incidentally, where the heck ARE the breadcrumbs located? :confused:</blockquote>

Hi Tom,
    Postions for modules. We want postions underneath the breadcrumb to put the modules in. The breadcrumb position is above the footer for this template.

abrill Friend

Thanks for your help HImangi! I think we’ve got the code in ok, but they aren’t equally spanning like they do at the top. Please see image. I”m not sure how to fix this?

1. positionsformodules
    himangi Friend

Hi abrill,

Can you please update your site url and admin details at http://support.joomlart.com/index.php?/Tickets/Ticket/View/75170 so that I can take a look? This should not happen normally and whatever positions have modules published in it should take equal space unless specified otherwise..

abrill Friend

I think I filled out the ticket Himangi. Thanks in advance for your assistance!

himangi Friend

Hi,

I tried publishing the same modules in user1,user2,user5 at the top as well as user6,user7 and user10 at the bottom and I see they are taking equal widths. I have attached screenshots of the same for your reference.

1. botsl_mods
    2. topsl_mods
    abrill Friend

Thank you for looking at this so quickly! And yes the predefined modules for the template do span correctly, however we are trying to create 5 new positions to be directly under the breadcrumb and before the dark gray starts (please see beginning of this thread) I have inserted the code as you referenced above, but the published modules to user11, user12, and user13 are not even showing up now. And before they were showing up, but not spanned correctly. Thank Himangi for assisting with this!

himangi Friend

Hi,

I am sorry, it seems there was confusion since you had 2 positions breadcrumb, above main content area and breadcrumbs, above footer area. I have now made changes in your layout and giving the same here.. Please check the modules are spanning correctly where you wanted, in the user11,user12,user13 positions..

Previous Layout
    <blockquote>
    <?xml version=”1.0″ encoding=”utf-8″?>
    <layout name=”desktop”>
    <!–Extra css load for this layout–>
    <stylesheets>
    </stylesheets>
    <blocks name=”top” style=”xhtml”>
    <block name=”absolute” type=”modules” style=”raw”>absolute</block>
    <block name=”top-panel” type=”modules” style=”raw” main-inner=”1″>top-panel</block>
    <block name=”mainnav” type=”mainnav” main-inner=”1″></block>
    <block name=”header” type=”header” main-inner=”1″></block>
    <block name=”cpanel” type=”usertools/cpanel”></block>
    <block name=”topsl” type=”spotlight” main-inner=”1″>user1,user2,user3,user4,user5</block>
    </blocks>
    <blocks name=”middle” colwidth=”35″>
    <block name=”inset1″ width=”18″>left</block>
    <block name=”content-mass-top”>slideshow</block>
    <block name=”right1″>right</block>
    <block name=”content-top”>breadcrumb</block><block name=”content-mass-top” type=”spotlight” main-inner=”1″>user11,user12,user13,user14,user15</block>
    </blocks>
    <blocks name=”bottom” style=”xhtml”>
    <block name=”navhelper” type=”navhelper” main-inner=”1″></block>
    <block name=”botsl” type=”spotlight” main-inner=”1″ >user6,user7,user8,user9,user10</block>
    <block name=”footer” type=”footer”></block>
    </blocks>
    </layout></blockquote>

Current Layout
    <blockquote><?xml version=”1.0″ encoding=”utf-8″?>
    <layout name=”desktop”>
    <!–Extra css load for this layout–>
    <stylesheets>
    </stylesheets>
    <blocks name=”top” style=”xhtml”>
    <block name=”absolute” type=”modules” style=”raw”>absolute</block>
    <block name=”top-panel” type=”modules” style=”raw” main-inner=”1″>top-panel</block>
    <block name=”mainnav” type=”mainnav” main-inner=”1″></block>
    <block name=”header” type=”header” main-inner=”1″></block>
    <block name=”cpanel” type=”usertools/cpanel”></block>
    <block name=”topsl” type=”spotlight” main-inner=”1″>user1,user2,user3,user4,user5</block>
    </blocks>
    <blocks name=”middle” colwidth=”35″>
    <block name=”inset1″ width=”18″>left</block>
    <block name=”content-mass-top”>slideshow</block>
    <block name=”right1″>right</block>
    </blocks>
    <blocks name=”bottom” style=”xhtml”>
    <block name=”navhelper” type=”navhelper” main-inner=”1″></block>
    <block name=”botsl2″ type=”spotlight” main-inner=”1″>user11,user12,user13,user14,user15</block>

<block name=”botsl” type=”spotlight” main-inner=”1″ >user6,user7,user8,user9,user10</block>
    <block name=”footer” type=”footer”></block>
    </blocks>
    </layout>
    </blockquote>

Please note that you can not use content-mass-top,content-mass-bottom,content-top,content-bottom etc blocks twice, that was one of the problem earlier. If you observe the previous layout code, there were 2 blocks of content-mass-top, in such case only first block show up.

P.S. I have removed the highlighted code from previous layout and have added highlighted code in the current layout. For more information on adding new positions in a JAT3 template, you can refer to http://wiki.joomlart.com/wiki/JA_T3_Framework_2/Guides#Layouts

abrill Friend

Thank you Himangi x10!!!! We really appreciate you assisting us with this!

abrill Friend

Himanji,

We copied the default template profile and then changed the desktop to be right-main-left position. The module positions that you helped me create me with aren’t showing up now. How do I fix that?

Thanks!

himangi Friend

I assume you mean that you are now using right-main-left layout instead of default layout. The positions you had created in default layout were not there originally, so if you are using some other layout, check if you have those positions in there, else paste the code as suggested earlier..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

This topic contains 13 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  himangi 13 years, 2 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum