Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

The templates look great (and I’m using a modified ja zibal for one of my sites), but please stop making the content fonts smaller! It’s just really bad for accessibility, and rather rude to users (they’ve picked their default font size for a reason…possibly because smaller font sizes are hard to read). They shouldn’t have to adjust the fonts, either in their browser or using the +- buttons in the template, to get back to a size they’re comfortable with.

So, every time I look at one of the JoomlArt templates, I have to think, “is it worth my time to go through and find all forty locations where they’ve shrunken the fonts in the style sheets, remove the shrinkage, and then fix all of the formatting issues that result from having normal sized fonts?” The answer, since that first experience of having to fix ja zibal, has been “no”.

So, please, just say no to screwing around with the content font size (unless you’re making it bigger for menus or titles).

alyson Friend

hi all –
    new to joomla and it’s been a few years since I’ve done any coding or CSS.

I’m struggling with this issue I think and could use some assistance. I’m using ja_mercury template and am working on implementing a font resizer javascript.
    so I went into template_css and changed all the font sizes from px to em to facilitate this. Now, some of the small fonts at default size are about 7px/too small to read, and I can not seem to find where in the css to fix this.

Using FF web dev toolbar, it looks like what’s happening is that these few places, for instance, a.readon { font-size: 0.8em;}

are inheriting their font size, but I’m having trouble figuring where from – so that in this case, it’s 0.8em of 70% of 1em, making it too small to read.

or conversely, the regular body/main content text is not inheriting a percentage or smaller size that the small fonts are.

one thing for sure is that everything is inheriting or affected by this:
    body#bd { font: 70%/1.5 Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif; }
    If I change this to 100%, the default text size becomes huge and the default size for the small text instances become readable.

can someone tell me where I need to make a change in order for either everything to inherit the body font size or for everything not to, rather than this inconsistent inheritance? I guess what I need to do here is un-force the small font sizes.

does this have anything to do with $ja_font_size_default = 3; ?
    I’d like to fix this for real rather than kluge it if possible.

thanks

MuffinDCC Friend

Can you not just pick differnt font sizes, seems fine in Firebug?

alyson Friend

ummmmm. I double posted. sorry, saw the date on this after posting and thought no one would see it.
    here’s the other post:
    http://www.joomlart.com/forums/showthread.php?p=24357&posted=1#post24357

but yes, as a quick fix, I did go ahead and just increase the font sizes for the small fonts from .8 or .75 to 1 and all is readable, but I’m sure this will bite me later, so would like to a real fix.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  alyson 17 years, 2 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum