Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

I tried to get a response on this from the Joomla support forum. Maybe this is more a template issue. Here is the situation.

I wanted to take my site offline while I upgraded an extension. When I clicked “Yes” for offline in global configuration – nothing happened. Rechecking the site, it continued to function. I cleared my browser cache, and even tried other browsers. The site continued apparently on-line.

Then suddenly, the template stopped functioning on some pages. I just got a text list of menu items or context.

I didn’t want users to experience this, so I placed an index.html page in the root directory saying the site is down while I proceeded to research. That had no effect either for taking the site out of user view. But, get this, the site started functioning normally – even though the global configuration was still “off-line”.

Someone suggested I disable the system and global cache, since the problem is probably there.

I hate to make this post too long, but there is more to the story. In another Joomla forum thread, it was suggested that I turn on all caches in the system and modules to solve excessive CPU usage that my hosting provider was complaining about.

Others have indicated the same problem. It seems to have something to do with non-existent URLs from the previous version of the site because I am getting a lot of 401 errors. The suggestion was to turn on all cache options. So I did. By the way, from a user stand point the site is little used so far – recently launched. But there is a main menu item that no longer exists.

Since turning on cache, it seemed to help some. Another suggestion was to install Admin Tools Pro. That seemed to help even more, although I am still figuring out what needs to be configured. This is the point where the posted problem occurred. I got an email about an upgrade for an extension, and I was going to install it. But I could not take the site off-line.

So the question is, should caching be disabled when taking the site off-line?

Ninja Lead Moderator

Please send me URL, admin and FTP credentials of your site via private message. I will help to check this problem directly on your site.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ninja Lead 10 years, 7 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum