Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hello,

This is a generic question. I requested last January that the most popular Teline II be upgraded to Joomla 1.6. I wonder if there is any plan to do this at all. An official position Inot just opinion) from the staff would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Cornelio

TomC Moderator

Just my own opinion/thought, mind you . . . but Teline IV (already 1.6 compatible) has all the features of Teline II and then some. While Teline IV can appear a bit overwhelming in the demo version (with all of the bells and whistles activated) … you know, of course, that you do not have to use every single available feature. PLUS, Teline IV has several features that T3 does not have – such as integration of JA’s mega menu navigation system.

Just sayin’ …. seems to me you can have the best of both worlds with T4.

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@tcraw1010 239159 wrote:</em><blockquote>Just my own opinion/thought, mind you . . . but Teline IV (already 1.6 compatible) has all the features of Teline II and then some. While Teline IV can appear a bit overwhelming in the demo version (with all of the bells and whistles activated) … you know, of course, that you do not have to use every single available feature. PLUS, Teline IV has several features that T3 does not have – such as integration of JA’s mega menu navigation system.

Just sayin’ …. seems to me you can have the best of both worlds with T4.</blockquote>

tcraw,

I actually use Teline IV also,, and I have shown severall modified versions here. I like the general layout. And the accordion left menu

I have to unpublish many of the modules, including the JA News. Many of the modules are static modules — they will require too much work to update in real life. They make the page very cluttered too and too busy. So, I deleted almost 80% of them and replaced it with more simple dynamic modules already in the Teline IV. Using the dynamic modules, if you add a new article, your site would be refreshed automatically.

Initially, I liked the MegaMenu quite a bit, but in practice, especially if you have a smalll screen laptop, it gets on the way — like manu of the sliding up and down features of the Joomlart oage. So, I removed all those and opted for the simpler split menu.

The modified aite I came up with has become much faster than the original template, However, it i sstil slower than Teline II. And, this is partly because of the bulk added by the Teline IV template.

Apart from all the above, there are still so many missing features of the Teline IV that are wiorking well in Teline II. For example, the most important is the automated creation of the equivalent categories in the magazine menu, once they are created in the category window. It is painful task to do the process manually if you have nundreds if not thousands of categories, like in taxonomy.

It also does not have the Hot Topic module, which is one of the more useful modules coming from Joomlart, at least for the staff I do. It is more compact format than the Newsflash module. One advantage of the Joomla 1.6-Teline IV that I found is the ability to include more than one category (not possible in Joomla 1.5). One just big problem, it new Newsflah module does not have automated way to resize images, just like you can with the JA News and JA News Frontpage.

I was hoping that after four months the issues have been fixed, but I downloaded the Joomla1.6- Teline IV and the last version was still way back in February.

Tje best of both worlds is if the working stuff in Teline II have been included in Teline IV. Also, the faster Teline II is a very important consideration. Not sure if the cause of the slow presentation of the Teline IV is the T3 and the JA News plus all those whistles and bells added. However, even if I deleted most of them and unpuclish all the JA News, Teline IV was still much slower than Teline II — at least for the websites I prepared.

It leaves the T3. as the possible cause. Joomla 1.5 alone with the simpler templates are much much faster than the Teline IV.

Cornelio

Anonymous Moderator

<em>@cgc0202 239154 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hello,

This is a generic question. I requested last January that the most popular Teline II be upgraded to Joomla 1.6. I wonder if there is any plan to do this at all. An official position Inot just opinion) from the staff would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Cornelio</blockquote>

Hi,

You can rest assured that JA Teline II is in the list of templates to upgrade for j1.6. However, it will take time and is is difficult to tag a timeframe for its release as we are working hard for upgrading all our templates.

Please keep eye on the blog as all releases will be announced there. Currently, there are 17 + templates released for J1.6.

Thanks for your great patience.

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@JA Developer 239306 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi,

You can rest assured that JA Teline II is in the list of templates to upgrade for j1.6. However, it will take time and is is difficult to tag a timeframe for its release as we are working hard for upgrading all our templates.

Please keep eye on the blog as all releases will be announced there. Currently, there are 17 + templates released for J1.6.

Thanks for your great patience.</blockquote>

Thanks JA Developer,

I was just concerned that it took almost four (4) months to finish 17 upgrades or about 51 in a year, at this pace. At this rate of upgrade, it will take more than a year to upgrade all the JA Templlates. By then, Joomla 1.7 may be out. Initiating a new round of upgrades all over again.

This means that Joomlart must prioritize. And, if Joomlart has to prioritize, JA TELINE II has been the most popular template based on forum posts, and remains so based on forum board. It is true that there is a Teline IV but there are features of Teline II that I like that are not in Teline IV. Just as important, there are so many issues about Teline IV that remains unresolved. And this is ine of the reason why I have deployed any Joomla 1.6 yet, for the news-magazine website.

I might have considered buying the Magento e-commerce template, but the history of supporting older templates by Joomlart made me pause. It would be a promised contract that might never be delivered based from the Teline II experience — waiting for Godot.

Cornelio

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  cgc0202 13 years, 5 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum