Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

<em>@tcraw1010 46641 wrote:</em><blockquote>So hey, go right ahead and use WordPress templates if you want.

This whole thread is kind of ridiculous – WHO CARES where JA gets its ideas/inspirations.</blockquote>

Who cares? Many people do.

TomC Moderator

Well, personally … I do not. If I wanted to use WordPress templates, I would be using WordPress as my CMS. I do not – I use Joomla – thus, I use Joomla Templates and choose to be a member of JoomlART.

Again, inspiration is gleaned from a variety of sources – by everyone. So what if some fo the JA Templates took a cue/inspiration from some WordPress templates (or vice versa). Does this mean that because the Joomla CMS looks a lot like PostNuke or PHPNuke that Joomla we should start a thread about it? You know what, a Toyota Landrover looks a lot like a Ford Expedition …. should we start an inquisition thread about it?

If you think some of the WordPress templates look similar, and you like WordPress … then go use WordPress.
    Otherwise, what’s the big deal and how does this affect anyone’s life in any way, shape or form?

mfcphil Friend

There is a pretty big difference between a cue/inspiration and taking a full template :confused:

TomC Moderator

<em>@mfcphil 46761 wrote:</em><blockquote>There is a pretty big difference between a cue/inspiration and taking a full template :confused:</blockquote>
    Well, until someone proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that JA Templates are flat out “copies” of other templates,
    then it’s a non-issue to me. The whole premise of this thread is childish and unnecessarily persecutory.

I guess every time I see people’s sites that are very similar to each other – because they were created from the same JA template –
    I’ll be sure to start a thread about it.

forgestone Friend

I guess I’m having trouble seeing what all of these other “copies” are, as in the links I saw (the ones that would open) I have a hard time drawing more than a passing connection in design. Even the Hedera clone, while clearly using the header and background image, is not a true “clone.” Hedera is a Joomla template. It’s made to work in Joomla. It’s got its own menu look, its got its own graphic components aside from the header. Having built a couple of Joomla templates from scratch, I have a hard time calling something a clone just for sharing those elements. One was clearly lifted from the other, but a Joomla template is significantly more than just that, it’s not like you can snag a design and just drop it into Joomla.

Besides, in going through that site it says the WordPress template was posted October 23 of 2007. The JA Hedera template shows as being released live on October 20, 2007. Given the comparative difficulty of lifting a non-Joomla theme/template and converting it to Joomla, versus the opposite in lifting graphics from a Joomla template and rearranging them in something much more simple like a WordPress layout, I’d think the answer here would immediately lean strongly in favor of the WordPress template being a ripoff even before you get to the fact that the Joomlart template was apparently released first.

ErikThorsen Friend

We are not here to argue about “legal issues” for this but of course, some people expect “real fresh” stuff.

What if JA started to look at Rockettheme and Yootheme and all the other clubs and just “took” inspiration from them. Would that also feel just ok for most people? I guess the question is good enough to ask. The question isn’t the problem. The answer would be the issue.
    It shouldn’t be difficult to say: Yes, we got inspiration from this or that site/theme/template??

I find daily templates based on other templates and stuff copied from other places. It is not a problem. But it still makes me curious sometimes. Who was first and who is just copying others.

Why not just answer it. It is no big deal really?

TomC Moderator

<em>@ErikThorsen 47138 wrote:</em><blockquote>
    I find daily templates based on other templates and stuff copied from other places. It is not a problem. But it still makes me curious sometimes. Who was first and who is just copying others.

Why not just answer it. It is no big deal really?</blockquote>
    Why IS IT such a big deal? . . . Why are some of you being so persecutory about this issue?
    Does it REALLY matter in the grand scheme of things? Is it really going to affect you or your JoomlART based website?

You know what, there are A LOT similarities amongst A LOT of websites . . . but that doesn’t mean we need to start pointing fingers at them and ranting about the similarities and/or which came first.

You know what’s ironic . . . . in another thread, there are a group of members who have been ranting for JA to create a template just like another club’s “Newsline” template. In fact, we frequently see people requesting templates similar to other sites. Yet here, in this thread, people are ranting about the similarities. Which one is it ??

I guess JA is damned if they do, damned if they don’t – catch-22.

mfcphil Friend

<em>@tcraw1010 47141 wrote:</em><blockquote>

You know what’s ironic . . . . in another thread, there are a group of members who have been ranting for JA to create a template just like another club’s “Newsline” template. In fact, we frequently see people requesting templates similar to other sites. Yet here, in this thread, people are ranting about the similarities. Which one is it ??

I guess JA is damned if they do, damned if they don’t – catch-22.</blockquote>

Very Very good point 😉

mfcphil Friend

<em>@ErikThorsen 47138 wrote:</em><blockquote>
    I find daily templates based on other templates and stuff copied from other places. It is not a problem. But it still makes me curious sometimes. Who was first and who is just copying others.</blockquote>

Well we know where to check when the new template comes out 😉

Hieu Nguyen Admin

Just saw this thread today and I very surprised what’s being here. It’s our mistake not to clarify the fact earlier. This (http://wordpress.topwpthemes.com/) is really a bad rip-off of Hedera. This (http://iwebnet.org/demo/) using a lot of Edenite’s material. We will contacting those site owners soon. Thank you!

tanisha Friend

Thank you very much Hieu for clarifying this matter, much appreciated. You may also be interested in contacting the owner of a website that lists most of your templates & are available to downloade for free. I will PM you the link.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

This topic contains 26 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  tanisha 16 years, 6 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum