Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Okay, I think I’ve asked this question before – but dangit if I can’t find it for some reason – so I apologize..
    And I am getting absolutely no help from the VirtueMart Forum.

Okay, what I want to do is assign specific product categories to specific “feature product” modules on my frint page – so that in one module a row of, say, “on special” musical instruments will display …. and in another feature product module, a row of “on special” electronic products will display.

I have looked through my various modules and category/product sections in both Joomla and VirtueMart and I just can’t figure it out.

:((

Does anyone know how to accomplish this and, if so, can you provide a simple step-by-step?

Thank you very much for any assistance you can provide !!!

TOM

TomC Moderator

Anyone ??

Anyone ??

This is a roadblock I really need to overcome.

MuffinDCC Friend

Never used Virtuemart myself but Virtuemart is definantly the place to go.

TomC Moderator

<em>@MuffinDCC 23980 wrote:</em><blockquote>Never used Virtuemart myself but Virtuemart is definantly the place to go.</blockquote>

You would think so, wouldn’t you … but I am getting absolutely no help there whatsoever – and my post has been up for over a week.
    Heck, I can’t even get anyone to respond to me on the Joomla Forum.

MuffinDCC Friend

Persistance 🙂

TomC Moderator

Just for a bit more clarification as to my issue . . .

On my site, I am going to have about four separate rows of featured products.
    The modules I have set up for each “row” are named “feature1, feature2, feature3 and feature4 – respectively.

For “feature1,” I will want to display a particular category of products – say musical instruments

For “feature2,” I will want to display only products from a different category – say electronic gadgets

For “feature3,” I will want to display products from category for music downloads.

As it is right now, any product marked “on special” displays randomly in all of the feature modules.

Is it a “Category ID” thing? If so, (and I apologize for the novice question), how do I designate a Category ID in VirtueMart so as to assign it to the particular feature module? I looked into my Categories within the VirtueMart administration and I can’t find any field that designates the Category ID. (I’m sure it’s right in front of my face, but it’s one of those “right in front of my face” things that I’m just not seeing for some reason.)

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

MuffinDCC Friend

Shouldnt there be modules to do this? Ive seen lots of VM modules on sites.

TomC Moderator

<em>@MuffinDCC 24075 wrote:</em><blockquote>Shouldnt there be modules to do this? Ive seen lots of VM modules on sites.</blockquote>

The module that is set up when VirtueMart is installed is the “featured products” module (or “fp”).
    I simply duplicated that module a few times for my multiple/independent rows.

Again, I am thinking it may be a “Category ID” thing – but, again, I am not sure how to designate Category IDs to certain categories in VirtueMart so as to correspond them with the appropriate feature product module.

TomC Moderator

Problem solved …. Figured it out.

😎

MuffinDCC Friend

Persistance does work 🙂

colcoen Friend

<em>@tcraw1010 24134 wrote:</em><blockquote>Problem solved …. Figured it out.

:cool:</blockquote>

How did you mange to find the category ID tcraw1010? The support on the Virtuemart forum is very poor. There is never a reply.

Your help would be greatly appreciated

colcoen Friend

FOUND THE ANSWER!

When you add a category, it gets a Category ID assigned. You can get a category ID by going to the category details page, then look on the URL for something like ‘&category_id=16′, where ’16’ is the category ID assigned. Child items share the category ID with their parent.

Although I doubt it is easy to see with search engine friendly URLs enabled.

nabeel Friend

Hi, This post of mine is very beneficial and informative, however there are some specific facts or information that I require. If anyone can help me in this matter then please send me a private message. Best Regards,

Property Directory | Wholesale Billiards
    Wholesale Batteries
    Something Directory

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  nabeel 16 years, 12 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum