Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
  • Author

Some of you need to relax . . . You are building this up as if it is the second coming of Christ.

I suspect that, like ANYTHING having to deal with aesthetic art, there will be those who like the new template and those who will not. Subjective taste – it simply cannot be avoided. If there are some of you who do not like the next JA template, it is not going to “break” JA – no more than it “breaks” the likes of the other template clubs who have always been offering one template a month.

I, too, am looking forward to what Hung and his Team are going to present to us under the new delivery structure. However, if the template release turns out to be a design or structure that I personally do not find divinely immaculate or something I can use, I’m not going to abandon ship or start ranting and raving about how JA should be tarred-and-feathered. Sadly, I’m certain there will be those who will choose to take the less constructive and self-centered approach and communicate their personal subjective tastes in the form of denigrating/negative attack.

Seriously . . . . take a deep breath . . . enjoy your day . . . enjoy the anticipation of the next template release. If you like it, fantastic. If it’s not to your personal artistic taste, that’s okay too – but PLEASE try to express your thoughts and/or suggestions for areas of improvement in a constructive and considerate manner. Honestly, it s that really too much to hope for?

Have a great day !!

😎

munders Friend

I can’t wait for this template. 😉

scotty Friend

<blockquote>I remain reserved. It’ll have to throw everything else out of the water, and actually be fully functional. Tag clouds for instance, a simple thing yet never implemented as a working plugin, usable galleries, etc. Time to wait and see.</blockquote> Tag clouds for instance… ? Plugins? Galleries?

Do people realise it is a template that is being released? Not some kind of bumper extensions pack?

PS: Tag clouds are so last year :p

SP Media Friend

It’s not an extensions pack, no, but why bother putting them there as a html module? There’s always a huge portion of “eye candy” which only require a short 2 minute fix. I’ve just simply listed what I thought of off the top of my head.

I’m more concerned about being provided a half-job of the same old, rather than a functional release that has been actually looked through. There’s a few where they have references to templates that are over a year old, it’s about quality and care prior to release.

As for being a bumper extensions pack, you seem to be mistaken with every template released thus far which include the news, gallery, slideshow modules, and so forth. A wise person once said, “if you want to do a job, do it properly or don’t do it at all”.

scotty Friend

I agree SP. Nothing looks worse than putting a ‘pretend’ module in like JA have done in the past with Tag clouds.

Phill Moderator

Here is my incomplete list of what I would like to see in JA’s future templates.

1. Well written and comprehensive manuals built into the templates. This is quite an important thing for many. The current guides are poor and lack a lot of important information. It is also a pain to have to log onto this site just to find a module position or required setup for a tab. It could all be so much better.
    2. Increased flexibility. By this I mean more module positions with adjustable widths Flexible/multiple hilites., by this I mean the ability to put a number of options in the box such as “red-top blue-body” so you can select multiple options at your whim. So your title could be one colour from a choice, your main body could be a different style from your choice, badges easilly added etc. This flexibility will hugely increase the possible looks of a site and is very easy to achieve.
    3. New menu systems and styles. I am growing bored of the same old menu systems. There are so many other options out there that could be incorperated
    4. Improved typography instead of the same recycled ones each month. I have come up with a few ideas myself in the vain hope that it will spur JA into thinking outside of the box.
    5. The clean looks should continue. We need templates that are easy to customize and make our own. Other clubs over design a lot of their stuff requiring a skilled graphic artist to get anywhere something good. While I am getting better at code I will never be skilled graphically. I am just not artistic.

This list is far from comprehensive but these things are what is important to me. You can forget integration with JS, Kunena, phpBB3 or Coppermine etc. Those are just a little graphical thinks that a good graphic artist can knock up very quickly. If JA want to do these then it would make good marketing sense to release templates for those packages that work well with full JA templates for free on those other sites. That might bring their users here.

mfcphil Friend

I would certainly like to see a vast improvement in the amount of module positions…. I will not mention which company, but one latest template is now equipped with 35 possible module positions.

Now I’m not saying I need 35, but the option to use them would be really useful 😉

and I’ve been asking for fresh typography for over a year now…..it would save me having to make my own

thatcomputerdude Friend

Having 35 module positions is a HUGE benefit because it allows you countless options when putting together the layout of the pages. Will you use all of them, no but the flexibility for a Web Media company that does a lot of projects is a big plus.

Documentation would be nice to have in the template.

Typography would be a huge plus.

Personally I couldn’t careless about the support because we have developers that know what they are doing. Having template club memberships cuts down on my cost to have in house designers. Instead of having 3 or 4, I only need 2 so the memberships more than pay for themselves.

We have memberships with RockeTheme, Shape5, Joomlart, YOOTheme and JoomlaXTC. What I LOVE about Joomlart is they produce the most templates out of the box that can be used for business sites. However it’s the structure and the way they are coded that is the most important for a high end media firm such as ours.

Right now I would rank for quality of products and how they do business in a template/extension club:

1. RocketTheme – they might produce designs that are a little much but their community, support and development is far and above the best.
    2. YOOTheme – the structure that they develop with Warp from a SEO standpoint is the best, with RT catching them.
    3. JoomlArt – they produce the best business out-of-the-box designs but their creativity is lacking and their community support is VERY lacking. Products not dependable with delivery or communication.
    3. Shape5 – They have a unique design that continues to improve and hits on different vertical markets each month, VERY dependable
    5. JoomlaXTC – Flashy looking designs but the coding structure isn’t very good and the owner is NOT dependable at all – always coming up with excuses about delivery delays and why their extensions don’t work. Had a lot of potential with their unique designs but a huge letdown, at this point I would never recommend joining.

scotty Friend

thatcomputerdude;140445
    1. RocketTheme – they might produce designs that are a little much but their community, support and development is far and above the best.
    2. YOOTheme – the structure that they develop with Warp from a SEO standpoint is the best, with RT catching them.
    3. JoomlArt – they produce the best business out-of-the-box designs but their creativity is lacking and their community support is VERY lacking. Products not dependable with delivery or communication.
    3. Shape5 – They have a unique design that continues to improve and hits on different vertical markets each month, VERY dependable
    5. JoomlaXTC – Flashy looking designs but the coding structure isn’t very good and the owner is NOT dependable at all – always coming up with excuses about delivery delays and why their extensions don’t work. Had a lot of potential with their unique designs but a huge letdown, at this point I would never recommend joining.

check this out… http://www.prothemer.com/morph/

thatcomputerdude Friend

<em>@scotty 140462 wrote:</em><blockquote>check this out… http://www.prothemer.com/morph/</blockquote>
    I’ve been keeping my eye on them as they’ve been developing that and talking about it. I was a member on their original site but they weren’t releasing templates so I didn’t keep my membership. I am waiting to see how their new framework turns out and I might go back.

Thanks for the heads up though – what do you think about their new framework? I think some of these clubs are going to be left in the past if they don’t keep up with staying on the leading edge in developing bigger and better for the joomla CMS.

antoniu1 Friend

I just hope it won’t be another newspaper template. Unless it is built flexible enough to be heavily modified to serve other purposes.

I mean, how many newssites can one handle? 🙂

Cheers,
    Tom

Arvind Chauhan Moderator

Well, I think the discussion has been good so far and now its just the assumptions…. and may be this thread be closed, as no one is sure of the upcoming template and we all are well aware of the last minute delays in template release.

Then why so much of hype every month? Also, instead of killing time here, we can try to be of help in the forums.

(not intended to offend anyone) as at the initial stage only this thread was called to be closed by a respected JA member.

Regards

Arvind.

Phill Moderator

I think there are som good points in this thread but we get the same every month. It always ends in speculation and is getting very predictable.

Instead of speculating what may or may not happen why don’t you all come up with sensible ideas and examples of what you would like to see.

bennitos Friend

<em>@phill luckhurst 140547 wrote:</em><blockquote>I think there are som good points in this thread but we get the same every month. It always ends in speculation and is getting very predictable.

Instead of speculating what may or may not happen why don’t you all come up with sensible ideas and examples of what you would like to see.</blockquote>

There have been good ideas and examples posted in this thread, but as with all threads like these they get overflowed with the less usefull comments.

Personally cant think of anything usefull to be added to this “hype” thread 🙂

Arvind Chauhan Moderator

phill luckhurst;140547 Instead of speculating what may or may not happen why don’t you all come up with sensible ideas and examples of what you would like to see.

Thanks Phil,

Yes, this would be highly appropriate to conclude on a specific requirement / request instead of beating the same old bush. The only difference in these kinda monthly threads is that it is started by a fresh Member and in the end the rhythm is lost and the important of all it ends up hurting each other in one way or other.

Arvind.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)

This topic contains 48 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  antoniu1 15 years, 2 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum