Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

When having someone view the my test site, they responded that the template ran off the screen in ‘wide screen’ and in ‘narrow screen’ the menu is stacked. Is there a way to include the “auto”:fluid width in this template? I know that this person keeps their screen resolution larger than 800 x 600, and I checked at 1024 x 768 and it fit for me, however, he uses a laptop. This is the first time that I have shown a template to him that he complained it ran off the screen. He then said that he couldn’t find the ‘auto’ width button, as this would probably be the best option for this template (in my opinion).

I am seriously looking for a response and would greatly appreciate it if someone would help me.

Menalto Friend

I can help you out if you want, give me a PM about it

bernhar Friend

Maybe Menalto has already done it. Nevertheless I would say that it is not advisable to make this template fluid. Why? There are several problems coming up with a fluid version.

1. The horizontal main menu would break if someone reduces the width of the browser window to 800px. If you have 4 or 5 menu items this seems to be unavoidable with fluid width.

2. You would have to find a solution for the width of the large images in the header. When someone has a very wide screen your images will have to be very wide as well which makes a slower loading.

There are several other problems with a fluid width for this template. In my view it us just designed for fixed width and making it fluid would break too much. If you want to see some of the problems you could change the fixed width (950px) in the CSS to something fluid (e.g. 98%). Play around with resizing your browser and you will see what happens.

Though I am sceptical I wish you and Menalto good luck because it is surely possible to change it to a fluid version although there are a lot of problems to deal with.

writeonwoman Friend

Thank you bernhar. I agree with your points, however, it is nice to have your opinion to fall back on. I have been able to play with it and the css for the main menu, however, while it is okay – things are not perfect. I am working on the logo and the newsflash rotating module and think that I may be able to line up things to work for what I want. Thanks again for your comments.

bernhar Friend

You might have to set the entire left column to a fixed width in order to avoid problems with a resizing of the newsflash and the logo. The horizontal menu looks like the hardest nut to crack. Possibly there is a method of making the template partly fluid by setting a minimum width but no max width. Then it would be possible to reduce it by resizing the browser window while not getting narrower than the set min width.

writeonwoman Friend

Thank you so much. I have basically got it where I want it, but your advice is very timely indeed and I will try that .:)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  writeonwoman 17 years ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum