Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hi All,

Once again I am looking for suggestions. I am thinking of putting my current project on the back burner and instead exploring Joomla a little more and test drive it by using it for my business site. No one visits it anyway since I never advertise it.

Again, it is an html site but I would like to try out Joomla on it.

Anyway, on the home page you will see a button that says “We need to…” when you click on that button, a menu opens. I really like this… though nothing on the menu works yet.

Is there an extension that does this for Joomla? If not, can I use what I have on a Joomla site somehow.

Also, I would like to keep a similar look for the site. I have looked at the demo of every template Joomlart has and can’t make up my mind what to use. Suggestions would be very much appreciated.

I have a few months set aside to work on my own projects rather than websites for other people. I am considering buying a developer’s license to accomodate all of my personal projects and then if I am comfortable with Joomla possibly using it for my clients. I am just tired of HTML and all the work but I am still a little afraid of the whole Joomla and database thing.

Thanks for any input and suggestions.

scotty Friend

imsleepy;112001Anyway, on the home page you will see a button that says “We need to…” when you click on that button, a menu opens. I really like this… though nothing on the menu works yet.

Is there an extension that does this for Joomla? If not, can I use what I have on a Joomla site somehow.[/quote] Yes you could use something like Highslide or another AJAX component OR you could use the script you are using now.

Also, I would like to keep a similar look for the site. I have looked at the demo of every template Joomlart has and can’t make up my mind what to use. Suggestions would be very much appreciated.

There are several templates that could be easily adapted to this look. I’d suggest Edinite or Drimia. You may also want to read this tut on Here) but I don’t know the first thing about Javascript.

Once you move to Joomla completly you’ll never move back.

cjmicro Friend

Sometimes when you first get started with Joomla it does seem a long way around, BUT I agree with Scotty, once you get it going, you will find it easier and better, especially for specialized types of components. I found it difficult to add a member directory, a blog, a forum, a calendar, etc etc using all “separate” components with my straight HTML sites. This is easier and more integrated. So far I’m really loving it.

Cheryl

imsleepy Friend

<em>@scotty 112050 wrote:</em><blockquote>Yes you could use something like Highslide or another AJAX component OR you could use the script you are using now.</blockquote>

If I use the script that is on there now is it treated like an extension?

<blockquote>I learned by setting a goal or a task and finding out how to achieve that task. At the start it might take you a while but before long you will know how to fix the problem straight away. That’s one of the reasons I spend so much time on here. I read a problem and if I don’t know how to fix it I’ll go and find out. There are very few problems now that would stump me.
    </blockquote>

That is exactly what I have been doing… it has helped some.

<blockquote>Some basic PHP and Javascript is a huge help too. I’m currently doing a course in PHP (Here) but I don’t know the first thing about Javascript.
    </blockquote>

I actually bought PHP for Dummies about 5 years ago… I use it quite a bit. I think it is all the different files that have to be modified to make one thing work that throws me so bad.

Thanks for all of your input.

imsleepy Friend

<em>@scotty 112050 wrote:</em><blockquote>Some basic PHP and Javascript is a huge help too. I’m currently doing a course in PHP (Here) but I don’t know the first thing about Javascript.</blockquote>

Just took a look at this site. Looks like I will be spending some time there too. Thanks for the tip!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  imsleepy 15 years, 7 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum