Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Request a news portal template in the style of CNN.

How to do it:

– Start with the JA Justicia template.

– Change the header from fixed width to fluid width.

– Replace JA SlideGallery with a modified rotator from JA news (see lead story on http://www.cnn.com/politics). Please make image linkable.

– Revise JA Newslight to be an attractive “Latest News” module. (see “Top Stories” on http://www.cnn.com/politics).

– Use JA News in the mosBody to create a “More News” section. (see ‘More News” on http://www.cnn.com/)

– Insert new module position above left and right positions. Include photo gallery module here (see “Video” on http://www.cnn.com/)

– Banners go in Right module position.

*** Make sure the JA Slideshow and JA Newslight positions don’t show up when viewing the content pages.****

The work is basically already done. This is simply a minor revision of the Justicia template and the JA news component. This should be quick and easy for you guys and will fill a void that has not yet been addressed by JA. Teline is a newspaper style template. We need an attractive news portal style.

I’ll be waiting. 😉

ShannonN Friend

TeeTide;37217Request a news portal template in the style of CNN.

How to do it:

– Start with the JA Justicia template.

– Change the header from fixed width to fluid width.

– Replace JA SlideGallery with a modified rotator from JA news (see lead story on http://www.cnn.com/politics). Please make image linkable.

– Revise JA Newslight to be an attractive “Latest News” module. (see “Top Stories” on http://www.cnn.com/politics).

– Use JA News in the mosBody to create a “More News” section. (see ‘More News” on http://www.cnn.com/)

– Insert new module position above left and right positions. Include photo gallery module here (see “Video” on http://www.cnn.com/)

– Banners go in Right module position.

*** Make sure the JA Slideshow and JA Newslight positions don’t show up when viewing the content pages.****

The work is basically already done. This is simply a minor revision of the Justicia template and the JA news component. This should be quick and easy for you guys and will fill a void that has not yet been addressed by JA. Teline is a newspaper style template. We need an attractive news portal style.

I’ll be waiting. 😉

Why don’t you do all this yourself instead seeing as you know what to do?

teetide Friend

<em>@ShannonN 37272 wrote:</em><blockquote>Why don’t you do all this yourself instead seeing as you know what to do?</blockquote>

If I could do it myself do you really think I would be asking JA for it?.

I’m an attorney, not a Joomla template or component designer. I hope to eventually learn, but I’m not there yet.

Thanks for asking.

ShannonN Friend

TeeTide;37278If I could do it myself do you really think I would be asking JA for it?.

I’m an attorney, not a Joomla template or component designer. I hope to eventually learn, but I’m not there yet.

Thanks for asking.

Fair comment however, if you keep asking Ja to design a certain type of template just to suit your needs you would be better off actually learning how to create, modify Joomla based templates and get the benefit out of doing your own custom stuff. it can be rewarding.

And if not, as an attorney, earning more per hour than most of us earn a month 😀 pay JA or menalto to create the “Killer” turnkey site for you to your specs? $2000 for the definitive turnkey site is not a big ask? Menalto would probably heavily comment the code and css to help you learn?

teetide Friend

So you’ve come to the “Request and Wishlist” forum to tell me to learn to create my request myself or hire someone to do it?

For the record, my partner and I have bought an essentially defunct small town newpaper that we wish to revive with an online presence. The news portal is the only template I foresee ever needing. It is also the only template I’ve requested. JA has often cited “customer demand” as their reason for releasing specific template types. I’m making sure the “demand” for this one is known by JA.

I said I was an attorney to highlight the point that I am not a designer. I said nothing whatsoever about making a lot of money. To clarify, I am a broke attorney, not a designer 🙂

cgc0202 Friend

Well, TeeTide, if I am an attorney and was paid as much as the ones I hired, I would be able to hire someone or a few people who knows simple scripting and could make a very nice newsportal website for me.

Actually, I am not as enthused with the CNN webpage. It is not as clean as BBC News or New York Times. NYT though is good only if you have way way too many people working for you — to fill up all those rows and columns.

Now if all I am willing to pay is the “$50-70” that we pay to get the right to use the template of Joomlart, I would not start with La Justicia (even if I am creating a legal related site).

I have looked around, and I decided to join Joomlart because of their JA Teline. It is not perfect, and could do more improvements, but it is one of the most simple and quite elegant Newsportal Template I found among the Joomla Template vendors. There is a very promising British webdesigner who is also a Joomla template developer, like Joomlart, but his company does not have a forum and he did not respond to my inquiry, so I did not consider his templates.

If you try to create a newsportal, starting with Joomlart templates, you would do less work, by starting with either JA Teline, or JA Quillaja. I suggested some further stuff here to make it more suitable for a law related webpage. If you want to make it more professional, you may spend a few hundred dollars to hire a webdesigner for a nice logo, and a few hundred dollars more to hire an experienced programming who is familiar with Joomla to improve the scripts and advise you on how to improve the security.

If you use just the off the shelf Joomla and Joomlart template — I guarantee you that you will have so many “spammers” and undesirable people who would register in your site. This is even more critical for sites that involves the Law, Politics and Justice — where many people do not see “eye-to-eye”.

Security is one of the big problems of the basic Joomla CMS. Even Community Builder, which addresses some of the problems, is rather primitive compared to some other non-Joomla softwares I have seen around.

I wish like many here, that security would be one of the areas addressed by programmers, like the brains behind Joomlart.

Unfortunately,I agree with many of the group of posters here. it appears the Joomla Template business seem to have this notion that making as many templates as they can — moving essentially the same whistles and bells around, and changing the colors and background images, adding some unique features here an there will attract new customers and keep long time customers to stick around.

Cornelio

teetide Friend

Thanks for the comments Cornelio – all of them.

I’m not sure where you got the idea that I want to develop a law related site. As I said in the post above, my partner and I bought a small newpaper in our hometown that was about to go bankrupt. We intend to revive it via an online news portal instead of the weekly hardcopy that it once was. We currently have Teline ready to launch on January 28th, one week from today. However, my opinion differs radically from yours as I’d prefer much less of a NYT or BBC look than you get with Teline. It’s too stodgy and formal for the image we’re trying to create. Unfortunately, I do agree that it’s the cleanest Joomla News design I can find, and by default, it’s the one that we’ll be using.

Again, I’m after a CNN look and I think you’re wrong about JA Justicia in that regard. I’ve played around with Justicia for the last few days, installing Frontpage Slideshow and JA News among other things. I’ve also revised the css though a painful trial and error exercise. Surprisingly, it’s looking really good and my partner is already asking if there’s any chance I can get through with it before our launch date next Thursday. Very unlikely but we’ll see.

bigrk Friend

<em>@TeeTide 37896 wrote:</em><blockquote>Thanks for the comments Cornelio – all of them.

I’m not sure where you got the idea that I want to develop a law related site. As I said in the post above, my partner and I bought a small newpaper in our hometown that was about to go bankrupt. We intend to revive it via an online news portal instead of the weekly hardcopy that it once was. We currently have Teline ready to launch on January 28th, one week from today. However, my opinion differs radically from yours as I’d prefer much less of a NYT or BBC look than you get with Teline. It’s too stodgy and formal for the image we’re trying to create. Unfortunately, I do agree that it’s the cleanest Joomla News design I can find, and by default, it’s the one that we’ll be using.

Again, I’m after a CNN look and I think you’re wrong about JA Justicia in that regard. I’ve played around with Justicia for the last few days, installing Frontpage Slideshow and JA News among other things. I’ve also revised the css though a painful trial and error exercise. Surprisingly, it’s looking really good and my partner is already asking if there’s any chance I can get through with it before our launch date next Thursday. Very unlikely but we’ll see.</blockquote>

Good luck with the project TeeTide! I’m looking forward to seeing it.

ShannonN Friend

TeeTide;37508So you’ve come to the “Request and Wishlist” forum to tell me to learn to create my request myself or hire someone to do it?

For the record, my partner and I have bought an essentially defunct small town newpaper that we wish to revive with an online presence. The news portal is the only template I foresee ever needing. It is also the only template I’ve requested. JA has often cited “customer demand” as their reason for releasing specific template types. I’m making sure the “demand” for this one is known by JA.

I said I was an attorney to highlight the point that I am not a designer. I said nothing whatsoever about making a lot of money. To clarify, I am a broke attorney, not a designer 🙂

NO I did NOT come to this thread to tell you specifically to learn ya ya ya , but offered it as a solution only, in my opinion there is no such thing as a broke attorney?

When the chosen industry is so saturated with skilled personnel or your own skill set gets too old, etc you leave the profession is what I’m saying,

bigrk Friend

It’s really nice to see you back in the forum Shanny. You always seem to know how to keep a topic going. 😉

ShannonN Friend

bigrk;37930It’s really nice to see you back in the forum Shanny. You always seem to know how to keep a topic going. 😉

Hee Hee Yeah Its a knack I seem to have 😉

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  ShannonN 16 years, 9 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum