Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

I feel like the current Joomlart templates are for artists who show their works on website. In a word, the templates are very artistic/fashionable. But not all of us are showing artistic stuffs on website, we need more practical template for news portal, e-commerce, etc. We don’t have that many pictures to show on the frontpage.

I hope I make myself clear.

thanks!!

teetide Friend

I agree with you on the news portal gwang81 and so do many other posters. Unfortunately, I have been told that there will be no news portal for the foreseeable future. JA will essentially release a news portal if and when they get ready to release one and we’re wasting our time by even making a request for one.

It’s incredible to me that that they can stop the presses over “customer demands” to release something like Avian II, but they can’t work it into their “roadmap” to meet the cries for something like Teline II.

cgc0202 Friend

Actually there are two possible news portals templates ready for use — JA Teline and JA Quillaja..

By the Avian II is one of the recent new templates that I like quite a lot — it is very simple and elegant in layout. If you know what you are doing, you may use the JA News extension — provided for free by Joomlart — to covert JA Avian to a Newsportal template. However, when I tested the JA SlideShow included in the JA Avian, it is rather primitive at present. If you value your time, just buy some more sophisticated “Flash Modules” for $30-75, stick it in your favorite Joomlart template, add the JA News, and wella, you have a very flashy and dynamic news portal. This will involve a lot of work though, even if you know what you are doing. You may be better of just hiring someone to do it for you.

The easier way is to start with the existing newsportal template — JA Teline and JA Quillaja — already provided by Joomlart, and modify one of them that will suit your field or area of interest.

As a newsportal template, JA Quillaja has some features that is not found in JA Teline, and vice versa. So, if you know what you are doing, you can mix and match their features to get what you want. JA Quillaja is good if you like black background, which is nice for artsy or “show business” types of news-entertainment. If you do not like the black background, and the character colors and sizes you may revise the CSS. However, that is very time consuming.process, and you really have to know what you are doing. When I have more time, I may play with it in the future.

Of the two templates you should consider the JA-Teline — the only reason why I joined Joomlart last August 2007. It is quite good, actually and a very clean one. I wish Joomlart develops JA-Teline further by creating more useful extensions — modules, components and plugins. Joomlart has a few very useful ones, like JA Submit that you should incorporate.

You may customize it the way you want. Also, you may add other components and modules to make it even more interactive.

If you do not want photos, just disable many of the modules, like those found from user module user 6 to user 10, as well as the banner, multimedia and advertisements.

You can move things around too, add modules that are quite useful, plugins, etc. like what I am playing with here.

Also, Joomla and the Joomlart registration/ login module is not very secure, so you have to change that. I decided to use the Community Builder, but the latter is still very primitive compared to the “permissions” system of such advance CMS like TikiWiki. Unfortunately, TikiWiki is like a tank because of the so many features loaded into it, so that it loads so slowly. Many people also do not understand the Wiki scripting, so they tend not to participate. That was why I am exploring Joomla.

Cornelio

N.B,

One word of caution, the JA Teline QuickStart kit has bugs that remain uncorrected. It will not work, as it is, and it took me forever to find out what caused the problems. The big guys here and the developers, even after I alerted them about the problem did not seem to ensure that the errors are corrected. It is still there when I download a fresh JA Teline QuickStart.

gwang81 Friend

<em>@TeeTide 37864 wrote:</em><blockquote>I agree with you on the news portal gwang81 and so do many other posters. Unfortunately, I have been told that there will be no news portal for the foreseeable future. JA will essentially release a news portal if and when they get ready to release one and we’re wasting our time by even making a request for one.

It’s incredible to me that that they can stop the presses over “customer demands” to release something like Avian II, but they can’t work it into their “roadmap” to meet the cries for something like Teline II.</blockquote>

I just don’t understand why such a template club deliberately makes so many artistic templates which are impractical for most of its users. When you are trying to sell something, you gotta know what people are looking for…. I feel so bad about the lack of templates most users need.

teetide Friend

Thanks for the feedback Cornelio.

darylba Friend

cgc0202;37876Actually there are two possible news portals templates ready for use — JA Teline and JA Quillaja..

N.B,

One word of caution, the JA Teline QuickStart kit has bugs that remain uncorrected. It will not work, as it is, and it took me forever to find out what caused the problems. The big guys here and the developers, even after I alerted them about the problem did not seem to ensure that the errors are corrected. It is still there when I download a fresh JA Teline QuickStart.

This is a serious issue with JA they actually do not fix the bugs and upload a new zip file. You can go back over a year and still find the same zip file with the same errors. I hope they start fixing the bugs and updating the files soon. The only way to find out about your templates bugs is to search the forum for answers, you may or may not find the fix. Sad situation when so many people have helped fix the templates and then they don’t apply the fix to the download area.

railer Friend

I disagree with some of the posters in this thread. In my opinion, Joomlart makes some of the nicest templates available, especially in terms of really slick extensions that can be used in very many creative ways to display products or other sales images. JA Larix is a great example of that. But I also like some of the other aesthetic choices that they’ve made in their designs that can be applied to corporate applications. Often, Joomla templates tend to be for club and social networking portals. I’m looking for very sophisticated templates that have very tasteful, understated css styling and other design aesthetics in mind. By understated, I don’t mean boring three column layouts with really basic menu styling. I want options for different kinds of module “looks” but all unified in their style. Many Joomlart templates strive to move in that direction. They seem to pay attention to the subtleties of positive and negative space, right down to the padding between columns and the leading between heading and body text. Somebody on their team has real graphic design theory training. Thanks Joomlart!

Best regards,
    railer

TomC Moderator

<em>@gwang81 37897 wrote:</em><blockquote>I just don’t understand why such a template club deliberately makes so many artistic templates which are impractical for most of its users. When you are trying to sell something, you gotta know what people are looking for…. I feel so bad about the lack of templates most users need.</blockquote>
    What I feel bad for are those people who can’t seem to grasp the concept that a template is a STARTING POINT for further customization into what YOU want YOUR website to be.

Last time I checked, this wasn’t called the “JoomlART Built To Go” or “JoomlART Turnkey Website” Club.

People . . . JoomlART’s offering are diverse. Some are more theme targeted than others – true. This is not a bad thing. Just because YOU do not like or have use for a particular template’s base theme, do not try and assert some kind of blanket condemnation upon the product as a whole.

Joomla templates have NEVER been meant to be turnkey websites – they are TEMPLATES that provide you with the tools to take it from point “A” to point “B” It is not JoomlART’s mission to create your website FOR you. They provide the tools …. YOU need to learn the skills to take it from there to accomplish your goals. If you decide that you possess neither the aptitude nor the desire to put forth the effort to learn the basics of css web design/manipulation … then no one is stopping you from heading on over to Joomlancers and putting your project up for bid to someone who can help you.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  TomC 16 years, 6 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum