Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

I have been at this for nearly 7 hours now. I am sure it’s simple, but I have tried everything and ready to throw my laptop off the cliff!

Everything is working perfect. Theme colors change depending on what menu item is selected.

I would very much like to change the defaut color for the site to one of the optional colors. How do I do this? In the Teline II template parameters, there is a dropdown box but only choice for main site color is default. I even added a color to the Template Details XML but that didn’t work either. Maybe I did it wrong? I tried -cyan, theme-cyan, and cyan. Nothing works.

Please help. Really would like to change from the default grey color it is now to one of the other optional colors. The front page and other pages that aren’t attached to the menu absolutely scream BORING!!!!!

Thanks for any suggestions or help you might have.

questbg Friend

Hi imsleepy

The colours can be changed via the .css files. Here’s how:

Say for instance you want to modify the default ‘red’ colour in Telline Ii demo.

Each of the default colours has its own css file, and in this case, you could modify the “theme-red.css” file.

For instance, if you go through the theme-red.css file and took every instance of:

#CC0000

Which is the default Telline II ‘red’ colour:

and changed every instance of the above to something like:

B200CC

Your red section would now appear more purple:

You can find all the css files for the default Telline II colours at:
    /templates/ja_telline_ii/css/colors/

You could also duplicate one of these files to make your own colours, so long as you remember to add them in the JA News module with your Section ID!

Hope that helps!

Chris

imsleepy Friend

Hello,

I guess maybe you may have misunderstood my problem. I have all of the different color css files, but the default theme for the site is grey. I would like to change it to one of the other colors, but can’t find a way to use one of the other color css files for the defaut theme. I even created one of my own that has my prefered color of gold and it works great… when it is attached to one of the menu items, but I can’t figure out how to choose it for the default color for the entire site.

I bet I just confused things more didn’t I.

sunrise Friend

Hi imsleepy,

Time to wake up!:D

I don’t know if the solution I have for you is the best, but at least it works.

Go to the folder templates/ja_teline_ii/css/colors

Copy the contents from the file for the color you prefer to the file theme.css, and this color will show on the home page. The downside is that this color will then show twice on your menu.

I’m sure there is a more elegant way to solve this, but at least for now, here is a solution you can use until you get a better one.

questbg Friend

I think to acheive this will mean hacking two different files!

Firstly, the template.css file. This contains lots of references to the default ‘grey’ of Telline II which is #666666 so I guess you could search and replace that with the colour of your choice (backup first!!!).

You would then need to modify the top ‘magazine’ menus too in order to match.

For instance, if you’re using the ‘Moo’ menu, you would then need to modify the ja.moomenu.css file.

Again, just change the #666666 to whatever you want.

You can also change the colour of the ‘grey’ menu text in there too!

Good Luck
    Chris

sunrise Friend

Hi again, I just tried something else that also worked and is mabye better, adn easier. Rename the file of the color you prefer as theme.css. Then rename the file theme.css to the name of the first file you used. That way they take each other’s places. Of course you will have to copy them to different directories to rename or they will over write each other. I hope it works.

imsleepy Friend

<em>@sunrise 109320 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi again, I just tried something else that also worked and is mabye better, adn easier. Rename the file of the color you prefer as theme.css. Then rename the file theme.css to the name of the first file you used. That way they take each other’s places. Of course you will have to copy them to different directories to rename or they will over write each other. I hope it works.</blockquote>
    Fantastic!!!! Took all of 2 minutes to do this. I have to “tweak” a few minor things on the main template.css that I put in myself that weren’t on the optional color css, but this worked absolutely great! Wish I had asked this question HOURS ago!!!!

Thank you thank you thank you! 😀

sunrise Friend

I’m happy I could help. Like I said, it maybe wasn’t the most elegant way or proper way to do it, but if it works, great.

Have a great day, imsleepy!

imsleepy Friend

<em>@questbg 109319 wrote:</em><blockquote>I think to acheive this will mean hacking two different files!

Firstly, the template.css file. This contains lots of references to the default ‘grey’ of Telline II which is #666666 so I guess you could search and replace that with the colour of your choice (backup first!!!).

You would then need to modify the top ‘magazine’ menus too in order to match.

For instance, if you’re using the ‘Moo’ menu, you would then need to modify the ja.moomenu.css file.

Again, just change the #666666 to whatever you want.

You can also change the colour of the ‘grey’ menu text in there too!

Good Luck
    Chris</blockquote>

Hello Chris,

Just wanted to mention that your answer is the proper way to do this change. I did try this before I asked the question, but I just don’t have the skills to do it properly. Though I tried and tried, I failed miserably each time. The problem came up with the different “shades” of grey that are included. I just made such a mess of it.

The solution given by Sunrise was the quick fix I needed. I couldn’t understand why the template manager didn’t have the option to use one of the optional colors for the default or the option to assign different colors to pages not associated with the news module. They really should build that option in since there are so many color choices.

I just wanted to add this thanks to you as well. Anyone else reading this post should know that your answer is actually the “proper” answer and the answer from Sunrise is a “quick fix” option that works as well but still requires some modification of the template.css.

Thanks to both of you for your help!

sunrise Friend

Hi again.

I’m happy you put that in there. For sure Chris’s solution was much more thourough and professional. Like you said mine was the quickfix. Not something elegant or proper, but at least it worked this time. I’m learning a lot as I go along, from the likes of Chris and other pros. They are great at sharing all their wealth of knowledge and help us all learn more. That’s one of the things I like the most about this forum. Thanks Chris, and all others.

peterpeter Friend

Does anyone know? Do the menu colors work only in magazine mode? I can’t change colors at all, the whole site is just plain black.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  peterpeter 14 years, 11 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum