Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

A few characters are not displaying correctly in JA Wall, such as ellipsis, quotes, apostrophes–and tildes in Spanish text. The problem is particularly bad in photo captions. I think perhaps installing a Spanish language pack will solve some of this problem. But it’s common in English too. See attachments.

On checking my server error logs, I see a number of errors to do with UTF-8. Could this be part of the problem? Any suggestions on fixing these problems?

1. invalid-UTF
    2. character4
    3. character3
    4. character1
    Ninja Lead Moderator

I would need to take a closer look at your site. Please include your site URL here for further investigation. I will help you check it

jkriordan Friend

The problem occurs in captions and headlines, not in the body of articles. Here’s an example of an apostrophe that’s screwed up in a headline:

http://pilgrimpeople.com/index.php/facebook/22156-facebook-id-3f9975c31044eaf6527e90fbfb374fe4

It seems to be more prevalent in Facebooks, but it happens in blogs too. Here’s an example of a caption where the quote marks are messed up. Look for the article in the center column entitled “Those people” Gazans are not human.

http://pilgrimpeople.com/index.php/blogs

Ninja Lead Moderator

You can fix the problem with my suggestion as follows:

<blockquote>Open templates/ja_wall/html/com_content/article/default.php file</blockquote>
    from

<?php echo $this->escape($this->item->title); ?>
    change to

<?php echo html_entity_decode($this->escape($this->item->title)); ?>

jkriordan Friend

It didn’t work. The bad characters still display in the introtext, and when I try to open the article, I get a white screen.

The snippet of code appears twice in default.php. I changed both. Any suggestions?

Ninja Lead Moderator

<em>@jkriordan 348688 wrote:</em><blockquote>It didn’t work. The bad characters still display in the introtext, and when I try to open the article, I get a white screen.

The snippet of code appears twice in default.php. I changed both. Any suggestions?</blockquote>

Please send pm me with url, admin access and ftp account. I will help you out of

Ninja Lead Moderator

This issue occured with content retrieved from another site, pls download new version JA Social Feed plugin here: http://www.joomlart.com/forums/downloads.php?do=cat&id=20454, we fixed this problem with this new version.

With old existing content, please try to ocheck it manually.

For example, with this article The Deacon’s Bench

Example:
    <blockquote>Go to admin > Article > and find “The Deacon’s Bench”</blockquote>
    from
    <blockquote>The Deacon’s Bench</blockquote>
    change
    <blockquote>The Deacon’s Bench</blockquote>

Save and clear cache

jkriordan Friend

But I’m using JA Social Feed v. 1.0.5. I’ve been using it since October. :((

Ninja Lead Moderator

I just updated new version from our dev version for your site. You can re-check it.

<blockquote>Admin site->Extensions->Plug-in Manager->JA System Social Feed plugin</blockquote>

All special characters (supported UTF-8) are supported on your site.

Ninja Lead Moderator

With the article posted before, i found this solution to fix it.

<blockquote>templates/ja_wall/html/com_content/article/default.php</blockquote>
    from

<?php if ($params->get('link_titles') && !empty($this->item->readmore_link)) : ?>
    <a href="<?php echo $this->item->readmore_link; ?>">
    <?php echo $this->escape($this->item->title); ?></a>
    <?php else : ?>
    <?php echo $this->escape($this->item->title); ?>
    <?php endif; ?>

change to

<?php if ($params->get('link_titles') && !empty($this->item->readmore_link)) : ?>
    <a href="<?php echo $this->item->readmore_link; ?>">
    <?php echo html_entity_decode($this->escape($this->item->title)); ?></a>
    <?php else : ?>
    <?php echo html_entity_decode($this->escape($this->item->title)); ?>
    <?php endif; ?>

I applied this fix on your site.

Please check it on the link: http://www.pilgrimpeople.com/index.php/facebook/33042-facebook-id-bc7cb82a9fb26b10c1f3c80c84a3d27e

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ninja Lead 11 years, 10 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum