Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Is it possible to copy/paste the menu items from one template to another ??

In other words, I have a site using a particular template set up as a “main” site, and I have a subdomain for which I am using a different template (independent installation). Is there any way to copy and paste the menu items from one template to another – as opposed to setting the items up manually? (there are a lot of them)

Just curious if it’s somewhere within the code or something.

:confused:

rami77 Friend

dear tcraw1010,
    hope this will help.

in the database, there are 2 tables: jos_menu & jos_menu_types

these 2 tables hold the settings on the menus in joomla.

take a backup of these 2 tables from your “main”, and import them to the other template.

( MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP jos_menu & jos_menu_types FROM YOUR OTHER TEMPLATE )

this is not over yet. you will have to link the menus with their articals, catigories and sections again.

************************************************************************************

I wonder, why are u having that template as a separate insatallation?

regards,
    Rami Al Nairab

nguyenhuu quang Friend

hi TOM, Rami77
    need edit Css and php files.
    so need exact copy from where to where?
    sory my bad English

TomC Moderator

rami77;131377dear tcraw1010,
    hope this will help.

in the database, there are 2 tables: jos_menu & jos_menu_types

these 2 tables hold the settings on the menus in joomla.

take a backup of these 2 tables from your “main”, and import them to the other template.

( MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP jos_menu & jos_menu_types FROM YOUR OTHER TEMPLATE )

this is not over yet. you will have to link the menus with their articals, catigories and sections again.[/quote]
    I will give this a shot tonight . . . So, if I am understanding correctly, it’s a matter of copying/pasting the database items you indicated above from the one site/template database into the other. At that point, the menu items should appear in the new site/template already populated – correct?

I wonder, why are u having that template as a separate insatallation?

regards,
    Rami Al Nairab

It’s more a matter of redoing my site using the new template, and just hoping I didn’t have to spend the few hours re-entering all the menu and sub-menu items all over again. I set up the new template install (using quicktsart method) on a subdomain . . . with the eventual plan to migrate everything over as the main site once I have it where I want it.

(It’s kind of like doing the same thing using XAMPP – only doing it using a sub-domain on my host server)

It’s not a matter of existing articles and things – I hadn’t yet gotten to that point anyway. It’s juts the menu items/titles themselves. Between the main menu items and their relative sub items/categories, there are well over 100 items – I was just hoping there might be a more expeditious and/or efficient way to accomplish this than spending the 1-3 hours re-entering each item individually.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  TomC 15 years, 4 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum