Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

I use Verio as my hosting company.

One tech guy at the company who was getting big on joomla gave me a script to run through the shell, which when executed would set the permissions of all directories to be writable – thus allowing me to install an extension or a template. Running another script turned all the directory permission back to how they were before.

This had benefit of meaking changing all relevant directories in joomla that need to be writable to being writable in just a second – and then making then unwritable again for security.

Unfortunately, his script didnt work – since it was configured for his server settings, and I never modified it.

But this is my suggestion – could Joomlart do something that would make changing directory permissions easier. It’s a pain spending 15 or so minutes clicking and clicking through the necessary directories to make them writable!

Could there even be a quick start package with all the relevany joomla directories set as writable by default?

fixyourtech Friend

I have permission issues too

one of the main problems I have with 3rd party add-ons (plugins, extensions, etc) is permissions
    I use the joomla FTP Layer in order to manage my site without changing all the folder permissions to 777
    Obviously I wouldn’t have this problem on a dedicated server but that is way too expensive for me.
    K2 is a pain because even if you have all the folders it has under the info screen as writable there are still other ones that it needs to add images to items
    I had a major permissions issue with JoomArt Extensions Manager because it has to write the folders of the actual plugins, components, etc
    I wish that joomla would allow addons to also use the FTP layer in order to make changes

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  fixyourtech 14 years, 2 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum