Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author

Well phpBB may not be the best, but it is free. vBulletin is far way the best board probably, but it is not free and not all people are willing to pay for a forum, especially for small/medium communities. And in my opinion phpBB is a good alternative for it. Also there is a good bridge at the moment, called jFusion, which gives opportunity to seamless integrate phpBB into your Joomla-website. When JA provides a suitable phpBB-template with the Joomla-template, it will be very nice.

Just my 2 cents.

Peter

SP Media Friend

Well it’s not entirely seemless, the user sync is, but there are no modules available (not that I am aware of) which pulls information from phpBB onto your main joomla page, should you want to do that.

swemmel Friend

spmedia;105966Well it’s not entirely seemless, the user sync is, but there are no modules available (not that I am aware of) which pulls information from phpBB onto your main joomla page, should you want to do that.

At least there are several modules available in the JED which can display the latest posts on the main page. http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/search/1/phpBB

Also integration with Joomunity and CB is available or/and is worked on.

Peter

zorroh Friend

phpbb templates is definitely needed! phpbb is free, gpl and everyone can use phpbb.

swemmel Friend

swemmel;105972At least there are several modules available in the JED which can display the latest posts on the main page. http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/search/1/phpBB

Also integration with Joomunity and CB is available or/and is worked on.

Peter

Latest news on the jFusion bridge. For the next release they are developing a discussbot for all supported forums. :p They are doing really a great job.

Peter

wooohanetworks Friend

Fot the latests mentions about phpBB3, like the bridges to Joomla etc., there you also have to see that the most popular free board, Fireboard in it’s latest version is still RC4, the plugins are only working on 1.5 in legacy mode, and probably one should rather think about another solution when you build a properly used community, also when the board is not filled with 100,000 users, also with 1000 maybe. So maybe phpBB3 is the best way to go when you do not want to pay for vBulletin. Also when JA made the FB Theme for Sanidine, this is some easier work as doing one for phpBB3. When you see the RT Themes, I did not say they do not look good, but RT is a thing for youngsters and I like to see some commercial themes, that still do not bother with lack of fresh design but not design as flippy RT Themes. Actually I never tested phpBB3, can’t implement it into CB I think, so this one falls out due this, currently. One also can create an own theme, so I think, it is a business thing if JA will make such or not, it must also pay out the efforts taken or it would also reflect negatively on the users of the template club here.

roeland Friend

Rokbridge is now version 1RC8:) Great options available and more improvements to come. Time for a phpbb3 template!?

Phill Moderator

I’m sure that jfusion will be up and running well soon. When it is, these themes will be a little pointless IMO.

alepou Friend

<em>@spmedia 105386 wrote:</em><blockquote>I’d personally vote for theme integration with vbulletin, phpBB has never fitted my personal requirements. :(</blockquote>
    Although I’m admin in some phpBB – based – fora, my experience finally says that vBulletin is a better solution.
    However, vB isn’t free (as you’ve already mentioned in other posts) and therefore, it’s not the webmasters’ #1choice.

I voted “Yes”, but as some (or many) of us need a professional – looking site, we’ll probably pay for vB and in this case, one more “Yes” -so, the Joomla! templates to be available for vB, as well…:-[

scotty Friend

There are 7,358 active members on this forum. This poll has been running for 6 weeks.

The fact that only 19 members ( 0.2% of all active members ) have voted in favor of JA making phpBB templates tells Joomlart everything they need to know.

moixa Friend

Hi,

Just for my tuppence worth, I have recently joined JA after my RT membership expired, I think both of the clubs offer very good templates… but you need to have some knowledge of joomla, what you wish to do with your site (s) etc. Last year, for my year with RT I had never used Joomla so thought get a template from them and that would be it, a website finished and I would be rich over night with very little knowledge etc and basically thought a website would run itself because who could resist a flashy template? – but all I did really for many months of the year was just to switch templates around, try change graphics and nothng really towards making a consistent stable website, like adding much content :P.

Well a year later I am wiser, but RT forums were extremely helpful, I do not run any web design company I work in a factory but like to see how stuff works and have a go for own amusement and I do learn something, even if not as rapid as some of the younger/older more talented people here and at RT. If I was half as talented as some of these teams and I guess like most of you would, I would have no need to join a club in the frst place or am I missing something?

As for me with joining a theme club is I wish to learn stuff, have a play around in my free time and over time get better and quicker at the little I can do. I do not make make money from the templates, re-colour them change a few things and sell to a client for a profit that many of you do for a living ( I am not moaning).

But I would personally love to see some phpbb3 themes coming from JA occasionaly and which are free to members, or maybe sold very cheaply per theme, the reason being PhPbb3 is a very popular forum and it is free and pretty stable, and well Vbulletin may be great but it costs and I do not sell a product so makes my “hobby” more expensive. RT made a big thing about their phpbb bridge last 6 months I was there, and seems now they nearly there they start to sell an addtional package for forum templates as well (as many of you know), personally they charge way too much. And a reason I left them was because after all this talk they did not provide even a simple basic template for free for members! which was extremely annoying.

Jfusion is free, I go with them they admit if not enough donations come in*possibly* they may have to charge, but it is out, people can use it at no cost and as you know it supports multiple forums, rather than just Phpbb3. And the Developers/Desgners among you I am sure would have no problem donating a little money to them if they help get you more business because of the intergration work they done.

I guess what I mean to say is, JA make us some lovely forum themes and free or very cheap, make people even keener to come here, and would increase your overall business and reputation! – If not wish to do, for what ever reason, maybe someone could run tutorials to help people like me so if you do not make the forum themes I could do them for you etc? but I love sites that offer tutorials and genuinely helpful and very informative – it makes me come back:D

Oups, sorry am overtired so is why I typed so much, I hope makes sense but as a new memeber here is my little byte sized chunk.

Regards,

Moixa

roeland Friend

<em>@scotty 108972 wrote:</em><blockquote>There are 7,358 active members on this forum. This poll has been running for 6 weeks.

The fact that only 19 members ( 0.2% of all active members ) have voted in favor of JA making phpBB templates tells Joomlart everything they need to know.</blockquote>

It tells me that most members here do not care about anything, there is no community involvement AT ALL. That is what it is, nothing more, nothing less. The members that did vote do care, even if they voted no, at least they show an interest.

Phill Moderator

I doubt that is the reason roeland. I am only looking around as I am new. I bet most members only come here when they first install to get their problems sorted and ask a few questions.

I voted no simply because I believe that once bridge solutions such ad jfusion are up and running there will be little need for dedicated themes. Simple by picking variable width phpbb3 theme from the hundreds out thereand integrating the css using one of the online tools such as http://www.mehdiplugins.com/misc/cssintegrator.htm you have a very good working solution. I cannot see people paying for a theme when that easy solution is free.

alepou Friend

<em>@roeland 109080 wrote:</em><blockquote>(…) most members here do not care about anything, there is no community involvement AT ALL. (…) The members that did vote do care, even if they voted no, at least they show an interest.</blockquote>
    “Business as usual”…

I bet most members only come here when they first install to get their problems sorted and ask a few questions.</blockquote>
    …and, yes. Most people just want to solve their installation ‘problems’ and that’s all! “Active member” doesn’t mean “I login and read” (or ask a couple of questions in order to proceed with my installation) but “I participate”…

(…) I cannot see people paying for a theme when that easy solution is free. </blockquote>
    It depends on the standards each one has for his website, perhaps…

scotty Friend

roeland;109080It tells me that most members here do not care about anything, there is no community involvement AT ALL.

They do care! They care about getting their Joomla sites working. That’s the one and only reason they are here. If they wanted phpBB templates then they would be on a website that does them!

This one doesn’t.

And don’t reply saying it should! Someone else will say they should make wordpress themes and someone else will say ZEN, and OSC, and drupal, and so on.

It’s not called Joomlart for nothing you know!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

This topic contains 37 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  elaine millward 15 years ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum