Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Hello. I’m a newbie to Joomla, have only just installed it with XAMPP on my pc. Can anyone help me to understand how to get started with a Joomlart template. I do not understand which files I need to download :confused:

I already have a Joomla install, so I have learned the hard way that I do not want a template with quickstart (as it includes another Joomla installation). Is it possible just to download the template?

What is the difference between extensions and source files (for downloading). I am so new, this is all very confusing. Can someone please help?

TomC Moderator

<em>@missyw 52204 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hello. I’m a newbie to Joomla, have only just installed it with XAMPP on my pc. Can anyone help me to understand how to get started with a Joomlart template. I do not understand which files I need to download [/quote]
    Whichever template you want to download, all you need to is go to the DOWNLOADS section and select which template you want. You simply download the zip file to whatever specified location on your computer … unzip the contents … and then install the template and modules using your Joomla Control Panel. Very simple.

Have you read through the Joomla User Guide that you can get FREE at the Joomla.org website?

missywI already have a Joomla install, so I have learned the hard way that I do not want a template with quickstart (as it includes another Joomla installation). Is it possible just to download the template?

Yes, it is of course possible. May I ask, though … do you already have a website set up? If not, then what would be the hesitation to try out using one of the Quickstart Packages. For a beginner, it’s really an invaluable tool in learning how Joomla websites can function, how to properly create articles and content, etc.

I really recommend looking through the primary Joomla site –> HERE[/url]

Here are some additional helpful resources for Joomla beginners . . .

http://docs.joomla.org/Beginners

http://www.joomlatutorials.com/

missyw Friend

Thank you Tom, your response is very much appreciated. It is kind of you to include the joomla resources for beginners. You said:
    <em>@tcraw1010 52212 wrote:</em><blockquote>Whichever template you want to download, all you need to is go to the DOWNLOADS section and select which template you want. </blockquote>
    My problem is which download file do I want? :confused: :-

1. If I select the download file which includes the template and quickstart, does this mean I need to use the zipped file to do a Joomla install from scratch? It sounds like that is a good idea, otherwise I am working with the Joomla sample web site.
    2. Is it necessary to also download the extensions (for example JA Corona Stable 1.5 Extensions )?
    3. What are the source files for? (For example, JA Corona Stable source files).
    4. In the case that I just want to download the template without the Joomla install, which download file contains the template only – is it the ‘source files’?

As you can see, I still don’t understand these basics. I hope you, or someone can clarify these points for me so I can get started. Thanks again!

TomC Moderator

Source files are simply (and generally) the photoshop images from which the website was designed, sliced and pieced together. Some people like to have them because it sometimes helps with modifying certain aspects – colors, shapes, images.

Sources files aren’t really anything that you need to work with Joomla templates.
    They’re just something extra some people like to have at their disposal.

As for installing a template, check out this tutorial

missyw Friend

Thank you! I see that you are a club member. This is very kind of you to help me out.

Now I understand about ‘source files’. I am still a bit confused about the quickstart and template. I will experiment with the downloads and see what I can learn.

One remaining question:
    Is it necessary to also download the extensions (for example JA Corona Stable 1.5 Extensions ) as well as the template?

Thanks again for your help.

TomC Moderator

<em>@missyw 52231 wrote:</em><blockquote>
    One remaining question:
    Is it necessary to also download the extensions (for example JA Corona Stable 1.5 Extensions ) as well as the template?</blockquote>
    The extensions are generally included (as separate zip files) within the non quickstart template download. You would have to install them individually via the installation manager within your Joomla control panel.

If you want the same functionality as you see in the demo version of the template right from the start then installing the Quickstart Package is the way to go. You can always unpublish or uninstall the modules you do not want.

missyw Friend

TOM
    You’ve been wonderfully supportive. I really appreciate it. I’m up and running now, thanks to your kind help!:D

nakamura Friend

I can’t download

Hung Dinh Friend

nakamura, because you have not sign up for Club Membership. Download permission are granted to Club Member only

michaell Friend

Where do you put the source files? what directory? where?
    thanks

Sunsetdriver Friend

MichaelL;52499Where do you put the source files? what directory? where?
    thanks

You can save the sources’ files in whatever local folder you want. You only need sources files to edit template’s graphics like logos. Just open the .psd files with photoshop and .png files with fireworks.

😉

TomC Moderator

<em>@MichaelL 52499 wrote:</em><blockquote>Where do you put the source files? what directory? where?
    thanks</blockquote>
    They are generally within a “psd” folder/zip within the template package.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  TomC 16 years, 5 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum