Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

I have been trying and trying and trying to figure this out on my own, but I simply have not been successful.

What I am trying to do is create a new position (to which I can assign modules) next/adjacent to the JA Slideshow position. In other words, I’ve reduced the slideshow image width to approximately 670px and 370px hight, and I want to create a new vertical position (same height) at approximately 300px.

As the width of the site is 980px, this should fit fine.

Essentially, I am trying to “recreate” the basic layout feel of the middle section of http://www.payless.com
    With the main slideshow image and three vertical “ads” along the right – hence, my need to the new position.

I can’t seem to create the new position so that it displays within that area – which, it appears, is within the “top.main” div.
    Every time I try something, it displays under the slideshow image as a “full width” position.

:((

Can anyone out there, possibly, help me out by steering me in the right direction on how I can create this position?

THANK YOU !!!

TomC Moderator

Or, in the alternative . . . how can I reduce the width of the “top” position so I can try to insert a new position to the right of it?

I’ve tried a couple of different ways I thought would work, but – alas – no success.

zao dao Friend

http://www.payless.com/store/
    this site is like a shopping site
    you can try magento
    and hellowired template(this is a free magento template from hellotheme)
    demo
    http://demos.hellothemes.com/hellowired/
    download
    http://www.magentochina.org/download/viewcategory/3.html

www.8media.com
    www.zaodao.com

TomC Moderator

Why are you directing me to a Magento template when I am trying to utilize a Joomla template?

I appreciate the assist – but I, at this time, I would rather continue to try to utilize this Joomla template for my project. That being said, my original inquiry remains.

Saguaros Moderator

<em>@tcraw1010 194838 wrote:</em><blockquote>Why are you directing me to a Magento template when I am trying to utilize a Joomla template?

I appreciate the assist – but I, at this time, I would rather continue to try to utilize this Joomla template for my project. That being said, my original inquiry remains.

:((</blockquote>

now, you open the file: templatesja_kyanitelayoutsdefault.php and find the following code
    [PHP]
    $this->_basewidth = 20;
    $positions = array (
    ‘left1′ =>’left’,
    ‘left2’ =>”,
    ‘left-mass-top’ =>”,
    ‘left-mass-bottom’ =>”,
    ‘right1′ =>’right’,
    ‘right2’ =>”,
    ‘right-mass-top’ =>”,
    ‘right-mass-bottom’ =>”,
    ‘content-mass-top’ =>”,
    ‘content-mass-bottom’ =>”,
    ‘content-top’ =>”,
    ‘content-bottom’ =>”,
    ‘inset1’ =>”,
    ‘inset2’ =>”
    );

$this->definePosition ($positions);

[/PHP]

and replace:
    [PHP]
    $this->_basewidth = 14;
    $positions = array (
    ‘left1’ =>”,
    ‘left2’ =>”,
    ‘left-mass-top’ =>”,
    ‘left-mass-bottom’ =>”,
    ‘right1’ =>”,
    ‘right2’ =>”,
    ‘right-mass-top’ =>’right’,
    ‘right-mass-bottom’ =>”,
    ‘content-mass-top’ =>’ja-top’,
    ‘content-top’ =>”,
    ‘content-bottom’ =>”,
    ‘inset1′ =>’left’,
    ‘inset2’ =>”
    );

[/PHP]

when done, you put the slideshows module on the ja-top position, and set width 670px for this module via the Main Item width parameter.

Note: when you changed the layout , you should follow to the design concept

TomC Moderator

Thanks Tien- and please forgive my non-programmer naivite’ – but I’m still not sure how this helps me in creating the new position adjacent to the position the slideshow is assigned.

What does changing that code section in default.php accomplish?

:-[

Saguaros Moderator

Yes, that right, that code use for re-deffined positions of the template, did you try with this? may be you need this change. if not , please let me know, i will give you an other solution * _)

TomC Moderator

<em>@tienhc 195058 wrote:</em><blockquote>Yes, that right, that code use for re-deffined positions of the template, did you try with this? may be you need this change. if not , please let me know, i will give you an other solution * _)</blockquote>
    I modified the code as you indicated, but I did not see any change that would allow me to add/insert the position. Here is a graphical depiction of what I am hoping to accomplish . . . .

In that new position, I basically just want to be able to assign modules (custom_mod) within which I will have small banner ads – again, very similar to http://www.payless.com.

Thoughts? Advice? Instructions?

1. new-position
    Saguaros Moderator

You open the file: templatesja_kyanite_iilayoutsblockstopsl.php and find the following code:

<jdoc:include type=”modules” name=”top” style=”raw” />

<div class=”left”>
    <jdoc:include type=”modules” name=”top” style=”raw” />
    </div>
    <div class=”right”>
    <jdoc:include type=”modules” name=”top-right” style=”raw” />
    </div>

when done, the template has a new position named is “top-right“, you will put that module on this position.

TomC Moderator

THANK YOU, tienhc . . . IT WORKED !!!!

Never would have figured it out on my own without your help !!

😀

TomC Moderator

<em>@tienhc 194921 wrote:</em><blockquote>now, you open the file: templatesja_kyanitelayoutsdefault.php and find the following code
    [PHP]
    $this->_basewidth = 20;
    $positions = array (
    ‘left1′ =>’left’,
    ‘left2’ =>”,
    ‘left-mass-top’ =>”,
    ‘left-mass-bottom’ =>”,
    ‘right1′ =>’right’,
    ‘right2’ =>”,
    ‘right-mass-top’ =>”,
    ‘right-mass-bottom’ =>”,
    ‘content-mass-top’ =>”,
    ‘content-top’ =>”,
    ‘content-bottom’ =>”,
    ‘inset1’ =>”,
    ‘inset2’ =>”
    );

[/PHP]and replace:
    [PHP]
    $this->_basewidth = 14;
    $positions = array (
    ‘left1’ =>”,
    ‘left2’ =>”,
    ‘left-mass-top’ =>”,
    ‘left-mass-bottom’ =>”,
    ‘right1’ =>”,
    ‘right2’ =>”,
    ‘right-mass-top’ =>’right’,
    ‘right-mass-bottom’ =>”,
    ‘content-mass-top’ =>’ja-top’,
    ‘content-top’ =>”,
    ‘content-bottom’ =>”,
    ‘inset1′ =>’left’,
    ‘inset2’ =>”
    );

[/PHP]</blockquote>

Tien . . .

I’ve noticed an issue when I implement your code suggestion above. Some of the styling for my left menus/modules seem to disappear (see image below – look at the left “Main Menu” and “Resources” positions compared to the right “Advertisements” module).

How can I get the module styling back for my left menu modules?
    url is http://www.musicians-marketpalce.com/mmplace

1. Left-Menu-Prob
    Sherlock Friend

Dear tcraw1010,

If you select to apply the left module position for the insert1, that would cause your left modules to lose its style accordingly. Thus, you should only select the left position to display on left1 or left2 block.

I hope you understand this !

TomC Moderator

I do understand what you’re saying … but if I only apply the left module to left1 or left2, will that mess up the fix for the added position in the “top” section that tienc helped me with ??

Saguaros Moderator

I think that my fix at previous post, it seem only applying for the home page :), and other pages use original design, arent they ?
    if so, you should create a new layout :
    1) you duplicate the templatesja_kyanitelayoutsdefault.php file and named is “home-default.php” and then you make your customizations following to previous solution . When done, you access this template’s configuration => you use the overriding layout function to overriding the homepage layout by way:
    put this text into the Override Layout parameter:
    [PHP]
    1=home-default
    [/PHP]2) if you would like to change positions of blocks in the template, please refer to my post #5 , Please take a detail look on the snapshot and try mapping all positions of the snapshot with positions defining of php codes and read the guide in here http://wiki.joomlart.com/wiki/JA_Template_Framework/Guides

it helps you changing those positions easier than 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

This topic contains 14 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Saguaros 13 years, 12 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum