Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Hello people!

I dont no if you have notice but the user 4 position the search bar its hard to find to some people, it could help if had some text in the search box, how can i insert a text like “search here”.

Im sending an example from a member of this forum.

http://www.madix.pt/

Thanks

shertmann Friend

well i have found a half solution, not make the on focus on blur function but it allows at least tu set the value on the search module

look for the following file default.php inside the following directory templates/jamesolite/html/mod_search/ and look near the line 16 the following line of code

<?php
    $output = '<input name="searchword" id="mod_search_searchword" maxlength="20" alt="'.$button_text.'" class="inputbox'.$moduleclass_sfx.'" type="text" size="'.$width.'" />';

and replace it with this

<?php
    $output = '<input name="searchword" id="mod_search_searchword" maxlength="20" alt="'.$button_text.'" class="inputbox'.$moduleclass_sfx.'" type="text" size="'.$width.'" value="Search" />';

if you see the edited code you will found the value=”Search” tag one that is that set the default value of the search field. there is a java script function that make it work but i not figure it out now how to set it, so this one can make the work

shertmann Friend

tell me this works for you?

aquario Friend

Hi, its exacly what you said a half solution, if i dont discover any other solution im gonna use it!

Thanks a lot for your help!

shertmann Friend

well i do not know so much of javascript so if has to be with insert it in the code so allow me a couple of days for to find a good solution

aquario Friend

Thanks a lot, Im thinking in put the search module in the top position because its gonna be used a lot by the clients, i have at least 20.000 products.

wooohanetworks Friend

<em>@aquario 86262 wrote:</em><blockquote>Thanks a lot, Im thinking in put the search module in the top position because its gonna be used a lot by the clients, i have at least 20.000 products.</blockquote>

I disabled the user 4 search completely and added a VM Search to left. There is no better way.

To the text displayed, when you use the user 4 Joomla menu, there is text added automatically and is also auto removed when typing in new text. Using the VM Search displays in my system the “search text” above the field, as it is aligned quite good, it also can be that way…

My suggestion, I have 15,000 products in 608 total categories, so I created a new page for the search alone accesible via a link in the main menu using a third party VM search module that displays more than just the simple search but also extended search by parameters, login, cart, etc.. This is the only way to go in my case.

Much success!!!

shertmann Friend

<em>@aquario 86262 wrote:</em><blockquote>Thanks a lot, Im thinking in put the search module in the top position because its gonna be used a lot by the clients, i have at least 20.000 products.</blockquote>

good luck then aquario and do not forget to send your link for members showcase coments.

Happy Joomla

shertmann Friend

aquario what a challengue you set me here, i have made this that sets the code the same way of the example but i can make it work properly so i put here in order to see if a good helping soul can finish it because my javascript habilities sucks.

the modified com_search in template

<?php
    $doublesinglequotes= "''";
    $singlequotes= "'";
    $output = '<input name="searchword" id="mod_search_searchword" maxlength="20" alt="'.$button_text.'" class="inputbox'.$moduleclass_sfx.'" type="text" size="'.$width.'" value="Search" onblur="if(this.value=='.$doublesinglequotes.') this.value='.$singlequotes.'Search...'.$singlequotes.';" onfocus="if(this.value=='.$singlequotes.'Search...'.$singlequotes.') this.value='.$singlequotes.''.$singlequotes.';" />';

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  shertmann 16 years ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum