Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I need to remove the link/menu item for “Home” in the Portfolio theme. No matter how I try to remove it though, Joomla gives me an error, saying I cannot remove that menu item.

How do I exclude the Home link in the menu?

I’ve seen others ask this, but cannot find an answer for this template.

Thanks,
    Bill

TomC Moderator

The key is that you ALWAYS need a menu item designated as “default” and as type (for J1.6) “Featured Articles” (aka: your Home page). However, it doesn’t matter which menu the default menu item is assigned – so long as the menu is active.

SO, to accomplish what you want, you could (for example) designate a menu item in a different menu as “default” and as type “Featured Articles.” That way, you can then unpublish the “Home” menu item in the Main Menu.

FOR EXAMPLE, on your site I notice you have some items within your lower “user” positions (i.e. Tech Info, Lighting Info, Privacy, etc.) – though these don’t appear to be actual menu items (yet). One way you could go is create a new menu with those items as menu items, and an additional item called “Home” or whatever you want – but which you will designate as the default “featured article” type item that will represent the Home page. So long as this menu is active, that will be the “home page” item and you can unpublish or delete the “HOME” item from the main nav.

Another way to go is create a new menu that you will designate to the “footer” position at the bottom of your site. here you can then designate the “home” menu item – and any other items you might like to have for a footer menu nav (i.e. contact us, site map, etc.). The menu can be relatively stealth there at the bottom … but if you have that menu active and one of the items designated as “default” and as type “featured articles,” then you can unpublish/delete your main nav “Home” item.

Hope that makes sense. I would set it up FOR you, but I didn’t want to do anything you might now want – as I can see you’ve done quite a bit of customization from the base template.

Let me know if any of the above is confusing and/or if you need any additional assistance.

😎

billrust Friend

Gotcha, that kind of makes sense.

I have another menu, that I am not done with, but it can be made the default if necessary. My design does not include a Home link where the main nav is, the home link is actually going above the nav bar to the right of they header.

In place of the current default Home link, I have a Buy Tickets link I need to be in there. I have it disabled for now, because we’re working on other parts of the site and if I enable it, it’ll screw up some other things because with the Home link still there, it makes the menu too wide.

So, if you can re-assign the default to that “top nav” menu, I can then enable my Buy Tickets menu item and have it perfect 🙂

I tried doing it, but when I tried it, I lost my home page content.

Thanks,
    Bill

TomC Moderator

Okay, so what I basically did for you was move the original “Home” menu item from the Main Nav to the “Header Menu” – with it still being assigned as as the default. I then assigned the modules from your original Home Page menu assignment to the new “Home” in the “Header Menu.” (If I forgot to assign any modules, all you have to do is open the particular modules and assign to the new “Home” within “Header Menu.”)

So, now there is no longer a “Home” item on your Main Nav menu – as it is now within the “Header Menu”.

Hope that is along the lines of what you wanted.

Sherlock Friend

Hi billrust,
    i checked your site and see it is ok now, have you solved it ?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Sherlock 13 years, 4 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum