Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Hi,

I have run into a problem with IE9 and strange template style switching behaviour.

I believe that turning on the built-in CSS compressor would solve this problem however, I do not know how to do that.

Can someone tell me how to turn on the CSS compressor for Lens?

Rene

swissa Friend

Don’t think there is a css compressor in the template Rene.

You can try this free plugin – I’ve used it on some other sites before and it works well for them.

Any version of IE is a pain in the arsch so best of luck!! 😀

renejdm Friend

Hi swissa,

Are you actually using this CSS Compressor for a Lens site?

Rene

renejdm Friend

Hi,

On my test website I have two styles (light and dark) that users can choose. The default style is light. In IE9 when you click on an EasyBlog blog, the template switches from light to dark. This also happens when you select EasyDiscuss on the menu. This does not happen in any other browser except IE9. I have not tested this with IE8.

See this short YouTube video that illustrates the problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NXhaekhqJ8

Rene

renejdm Friend

I tried a few css compressors from the JED. None of them work properly with JA Lens. I was able to verify the problem above is fixed when compressing all css files into one.

So what I really need is a css compressor that actually works with JA Lens. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Rene

swissa Friend

<em>@renejdm 338914 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi swissa,

Are you actually using this CSS Compressor for a Lens site?

Rene</blockquote>

No! Used it on other sites and seems ok but never tried it on Lens. Sorry!

renejdm Friend

Hi swissa,

Thanks for your reply.

I have tested four different CSS Compressors without success. None of them work properly with the masonry wall:

JCH_OPTIMIZE
    ICE SPEED
    JBETOLO
    ROKBOOSTER

While the unwanted template style switching behavior only affects the light theme, this issue should be a concern for everyone. Because one of the ways to speed up your website is to compress css files into one file.

I am hoping that one of the developers can help to solve this issue.

Rene

renejdm Friend

Hi,

Okay. I found a CSS Compressor that works with Lens. It is jBetolo from jproven.com: http://jproven.com/extensions/jbetolo

When I first tried it, the masonry wall was completely screwed. But they have a section (see image) where you can exclude components. I excluded com_k2 and it works.

Rene

1. jbetolo-css-compressor-for-lens
    renejdm Friend

Hi,

I spoke too soon. This ruins the responsiveness of my template. Also, the font sizer and ratings in EasyBlog do not work with this enabled. Back to square one.

Rene

HeR0 Friend

Hi renejdm
    I appreciate the idea of using CSS compress in JA LENS template. However, in fact using CSS compress in this template is not improved much because it contains small css file number.

Regards,

renejdm Friend

Hi HeR0,

I would like some help to fix this problem that I have with unwanted style switching in IE9. This happens because I am also using a 3rd party component.

Please view this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NXhaekhqJ8

Regards,

Rene

renejdm Friend

Hi,

I just want to clarify my problem. When you click on a menu item (petdietdesigner.net/blog or petdietdesigner.net/software/forums) over 30 css files are loaded. IE9 is ignoring some of these files and one of these files is the css file which switches the template from dark to light. Since I am using the light style as my default style, this particular css file is ignored and the template automatically switches from light to dark.

So the main problem I have is this: How can I keep the light style? If I only had to choose one style for my website it would be the light style. The dark style is not a good choice for my website (although it would be nice for the user to be able to switch styles — after all, some people really love dark styles).

So I am asking the developers for help on this issue.

Rene

renejdm Friend

Hi HeR0,

After some investigation I have figured out why JA Lens does not work properly with any version of Internet Explorer. Please read on.

In all versions of Internet Explorer there is a bug that only lets the browser load 31 css files.

A bare bones JA Lens site loads over 20 css files. So if you want to have typography for your website (to make it look nicer) and you install JA Typo, then you will have 2 extra css files. Now if you want to add extensions to your website so that you can make money, or have a community, or whatever, you will be installing extensions that will most likely have at least one css file each. You will rapidly reach the 31 file limit for Internet Explorer. So the 32nd, 33rd, 34th… css file will never be loaded.

This should be a big concern to everyone who uses the JA Lens template.

On the problem stated above where the template switches from light to dark, the reason is because the css file that controls the light theme is css file number 33. So it never gets loaded, and the template will automatically switch from light to dark.

So there are three possible solutions:

1) have the developers add inbuilt css compression to the template (best solution)
    2) use a 3rd party css compression plugin (getting it to work is problematic)
    3) have the developers use the @import tag inside a css file to load more stylesheets (and thus cheat the 31 css limit)

Note: #3 might have some issues, esp. with javascript

Rene

P.S. Again this is a very important issue.

tfosnom Friend

<blockquote>A bare bones JA Lens site loads over 20 css files</blockquote>

#4. Have the developers reduce the number of css files needed to get the site operational
    #5. use inline css for a lot of it?
    #6 Revolt and make everyone stop using Internet Exploiter – Best solution

renejdm Friend

Hi JA Lens developers,

I am still looking for help on this issue. Is there any way to combine all (or most) of these css files into one file so that the issue with Internet Explorer can be solved? See image.

Rene

1. JA-Lens-combine-css-files-into-one
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

This topic contains 16 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  HeR0 11 years, 12 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum