Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

I’m using Joomla 1.5 with the Ja Teline template installed with the Legacy plug-in. When I try to follow the set-up instructions it tells me to create a Position for ja-tabs and ja-news but I don’t have the Position option in Module Manager or in Template Manager.

What am I doing wrong?

TomC Moderator

<em>@lcgrant 24254 wrote:</em><blockquote>I’m using Joomla 1.5 with the Ja Teline template installed with the Legacy plug-in. When I try to follow the set-up instructions it tells me to create a Position for ja-tabs and ja-news but I don’t have the Position option in Module Manager or in Template Manager.

What am I doing wrong?</blockquote>

I’m not sure what you mean by “you don’t have the position option.”

To create a position, you simply type that position name into one of the open/empty fields within your Module Positions administration.
    The path within your Joomla Control Panel is is Site -> Template Manage -> Module Positions

That’s all there is to it. When you go back to your Module Manager and you want to designate a position for a particular module, you will now have the newly created positions available to you within the drop down (within the module parameters area itself).

Hope that answers your question.

TOM

MuffinDCC Friend

With Joomla 1.5, the positions are/will be controlled in templateDetails.xml. As it is legacy mode, I am unsure but with the 1.5 conversion, I have done, you add the following to templateDetails.xml
    <blockquote>
    <positions>
    <position>A position name</position>
    </positions></blockquote>

Either way, I would not use the legacy plugin and try to convert yourself, there is enough documentation for it now.

lcgrant Friend

<em>@tcraw1010 24270 wrote:</em><blockquote>I’m not sure what you mean by “you don’t have the position option.”

To create a position, you simply type that position name into one of the open/empty fields within your Module Positions administration.
    The path within your Joomla Control Panel is is Site -> Template Manage -> Module Positions

That’s all there is to it. When you go back to your Module Manager and you want to designate a position for a particular module, you will now have the newly created positions available to you within the drop down (within the module parameters area itself).

Hope that answers your question.

TOM</blockquote>
    Thanks Tom,

That’s just it. I don’t have the Module Positions option in either Template Manager or Modules Manager for me to select.

TomC Moderator

<em>@lcgrant 24326 wrote:</em><blockquote>Thanks Tom,

That’s just it. I don’t have the Module Positions option in either Template Manager or Modules Manager for me to select.</blockquote>

You may need to reinstall Joomla clean then … sounds like a corrupted install.

Back up your template, components, modules, etc. and reinstall would be my suggestion.

lcgrant Friend

I’m game. I’ve used the past day or so to learn a little php. Where would I find documentation to convert a template to Joomla 1.5?

Thanks.

TomC Moderator

<em>@lcgrant 24782 wrote:</em><blockquote>I’m game. I’ve used the past day or so to learn a little php. Where would I find documentation to convert a template to Joomla 1.5?

Thanks.</blockquote>

I am not sure you can “convert” a template designed around Joomla 1.0 to Joomla 1.5 – at least not without some more advanced php coding skills. Many template developers are now creating Joomla 1.5 compliant templates – which suggests to me that one would need to do this first, rather than “covert” an existing template.

Don’t take my word for it, though … these are just my suppositions. Part of me thinks that you should absolutely be able to convert an existing template to 1.5 … I just don’t know how to do it.

I would think that you might be able to find more help on this topic on the Joomla forums themselves. I know for a fact that thee is a whole section of categories devoted to Joomla 1.5.

Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful – Good Luck, and let us know what you find out.

TOM

lcgrant Friend

I went back to the Joomla site and downloaded 1.5RC1 again, unzipped it and uploaded the files (using smartFTP) to my hosting account (Yahoo) and nothing’s changed.???!!

BTW, whenever I attempt to re-install, Joomla tells me at the end that it could not write to my configuration file. It tells me to copy the displayed code and create a configuration.php file and palce it in my root directory. Could this be part of the problem?

Thanks.

TomC Moderator

These kinds of things are the very reason why I haven’t even touched Joomla 1.5 yet.

Until they release the final/stable version – complete with steop-by-step installation/upgrade instructions, I am not going to even bother trying to deal with the recoding and possible incompatibility issues.

Sometimes waiting a little bit longer to get that shiney new car is the best decision.

😉

lcgrant Friend

Thanks Tom.

I’ll check out some of the forums for version 1.5. I bought the Ja Teline template that JoomlArt claimed was compatible with 1.5 on the sign-up page but when I went to install it Joomla told me I had to use the Legacy plug-in. So I figured with the help of folks like you I could fix the situation myself. Oh well, Thanks anyway.

TomC Moderator

I’m sorry I could not be of more help at present.

I’m still learning more and more myself . . . if PHP/CSS were karate, I’d be a white belt with three black stripes. 😉

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

This topic contains 11 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  TomC 17 years, 2 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum