Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Hi:

I currently use JA Sanidine for a Gamers application. It and its component parts are outdated. I very much need a current template I can use for gaming that includes

1.) Primary Template that uses current stable build of Joomla
    2.) Forums-that use current stable build of Joomla (perhaps Kunena)
    3.) Community-that uses current stable build of Joomla
    4.) Expandable for Captcha security and current modules, components, plug-ins.

It is important to be using Joomla templates that are current with at least the most current solid version. The Sanidines are outdated 1.0 legacy templates which use Fireboard (this legacy version of Joomla does not allow a switch to Kunena) which is no longer supported/available. They also use a free version of Community Builder that is outdated and unsupported by the developer.

Can someone here at Joomlart suggest a template combination that accomplishes the above goals with current versions? I really like what I have done with Sanidine but it MUST be upgraded for a variety of reasons. To see what I have done with the template,
    please visit http//:wpwolvesden.com

Thank you for your help and guidance.

TomC Moderator

Greetings:

My friend, YOU’RE IN LUCK . . . . JA SANDINE IS COMPATIBLE WITH J1.5 – for which most EVERY 3rd party extension is, likewise, compatible – including Kunena, JomSocial, Community Builder, etc.

😀

ejoomart1 Friend

Thank you. What would be the safe procedure to do this so the site doesn’t get damaged in the upgrade process?
    And aren’t Jom Social and Community Builder paid programs?

jneubauer Friend

is your 1.0 site already large/developed/complete?

Also, Jomsocial is a commercial extension – Community builder has a fully functional component that is totally free. They have some nice addons that are commercial, but the core Community Builder product is totally free.

ejoomart1 Friend

My 1.0 site is fully developed, yes (http://wpwolvesden.com). Also, Community Builder’s old free version is NOT SUPPORTED by its maker(s). The version and its add-ons which you are apparently referencing are FEE based. The problem here is that the gaming template package that Joomlart provided included all of this within the membership fee. Regrettably, the Community Builder and Fireboard elements are now totally out of date, unsupported and have security exposures which cannot be fixed in the 1.0 framework. It is unfortunate that to fix and upgrade them beyond the membership, MORE money would have to be spent for a product that should either be fully updated or taken out of the catalog offering. This has put me in a tough position. I am looking for a solve which frankly and with respect I think should come from Joomlart. I would hate to go to another template club and spend more money for this.

jneubauer Friend

Regarding Community Builder, I work for Community Builder – I know what they offer.
    Community Builder IS supported by it’s maker, Joomlapolis.com. Its primary component, the CB Component is 100% free, no fees required. Community Builder is NOT out of date – it is remarkably up-to-date and in fact, was one of the very first components ever to release versions for Joomla! 1.7.
    So to recap – Community Builder is supported, yes it is up to date, and yes it is free. I know because I work for them 🙂

TomC Moderator

Dear Friend:

While JoomlArt will often include certain free 3rd party components/extensions as part of the quickstart + sample data installation packages as a courtesy/bonus to our members, the fact of the matter is that these are 3rd party extensions and, as such, are neither created/developed nor supported by JoomlArt. The JoomlArt membership package includes access to JoomlArt’s Club Templates and related Support Services for those templates. JoomlArt has never claimed nor promised support for 3rd party extensions/component that may be integrated into a quickstart package as a courtesy/bonus to our members.

Furthermore, this will be the case with virtually any other Template Club you may feel you want to jump over to.

I do not believe it to be a secret to anyone that technology often progresses rather rapidly. As you correctly stated above, Fireboard is both outdated and rarely (if at all) utilized anymore. Community Builder is still utilized and, largely, up-to-date. There are also new, up-to-date, alternatives for both – some fee based, some open-source/free. Such is simply a reality of moving forward and “growing with the times and technology” – as most any other webmaster would eventually need to address at one point or another.

Nevertheless, we are certainly here to assist you in providing Support for our Club Templates and Club Extensions – as well as provide advice, recommendations and (in many cases) resources to assist you with various issues outside the purview of JoomlArt Support . . . as is the JoomlArt Community Membership.

We sincerely appreciate your understanding and consideration in this matter – and we look forward to a continued positive relationship.

TOM

ejoomart1 Friend

I’m not here to debate with you regarding CB. I am a paid Member HERE and have entered this forum for help not a lecture about your relationship to CB. I have in fact had direct conversations with the actual CB developer which can be seen in their forums which expressly states that he/CB does not and will not support the version (and will not update it for free) that Joomlart has included here. I don’t argue that certain things can and should be paid for. It’s just that in this case, the products are offered all inclusive with both implied and stated support which Joomlart and CB are not doing. I do not want to pay for the same thing twice.The key issue that I have run into is security and certain modules. The 1.0 framework by and large does not allow current security upgrades.

jneubauer Friend

yep – no one is here to argue, or to lecture 🙂
    My comments there were to point out that there are free alternatives that are readily available.
    Not sure what conversation you had, but I can assure you that any security problems or bugs with CB are taken care of quickly, and made available for free download for all.

As Tom mentioned, we do integrate things like CB to help our users, however, that doesn’t mean we support that component. If we did that Joomlart would never be able to make anything new!

Both Joomlart and CB are very clear that support above and beyond bug and security fixes is available to subscription members only, and is restricted to their components. Just as Joomlart cannot support CB, I’m sure that CB would be hesitant to support Joomlart problems 🙂

Hope that helps clarify what we do. If there are any bugs with ANY of the Joomlart products, we encourage you to ask them here, or put in a support ticket for fast, and comprehensive support by our support team!

TomC Moderator

<em>@ejoomart1 262891 wrote:</em><blockquote> It’s just that in this case, the products are offered all inclusive with both implied and stated support which Joomlart and CB are not doing. </blockquote>
    Once again, JoomlArt provides support for JoomlArt products and services.

JoomlArt does not provide direct support for any 3rd Party extensions that may be included as a courtesy/bonus to members as part of a quickstart installation package – nor has JoomlArt ever implied such explicitly or otherwise . . . nor does/would any other Template Club.

This is not to say that there may not be JoomlArt Community Members – including some of our Moderators and Support Team Members – who may be willing/able to provide insight/advice and/or additional recommendations to/for you on these issues. Such is one of the additional benefits of the JoomlArt Member Community.

Again, appreciate your understanding in this matter.

ejoomart1 Friend

Dear Tom:

I appreciate your comments and also think in a very significant sense this is really a conversation for owners/developers at Joomlart. They are the people that put this package together and included it in the club and nowhere does it sate that CB or Fireboard are third party add-ons which are just “courtesies or bonus'”. That is not how this has been offered. I would think people at Joomlart would be somewhat embarrassed and concerned that they are offering out of date, non-supported and discontinued elements within their offering and I cannot believe Joomlart would take no responsibility for this. The reason this has been an issue is that CB 1.4 and Fireboard (defunct) have been offered but not supported here or at CB; each “company” deferring back to the other-it puts the end use in no mans land which is frustrating.

Again, I have not entered the club or these forums to argue. I have done so based on stated product offerings, the belief that Joomlart is a fair and reasonable provider and that I can ask for support and help and get it.

As a webmaster I am addressing these issues and appreciate actual help. I don’t feel I should be under attack for expressing my direct experience with CB or that I believe Joomlart has a responsibility to keep its offerings up to date. Further, if Support Members cannot give help, it is suggested they stay out of these threads and let Moderators and Developers such as yourself provide actual help that is paid for, needed and appreciated. I just need the help Joomlart has promised. Perhaps this topic can be discussed with the Joomlart owners.

Thank you Tom

ejoomart1 Friend

This is an example of what an effective “Help” and solve response might be for this situation.
    Is it perfect?
    Is it stated as one you might write?
    Does it address the Member’s issues and provide a point by point affirmative solve?

Even if not perfect or done your way, this seems like constructive help: for your consideration.

“Dear…thank you for contacting the Member Support Forum. Here’s are some solves for you to consider:

1.) The Sanidine template(s) are compatible with Joomla! 1.5 (we are working on Joomla!1.6 for this template also).
    a.) To upgrade to Joomla! 1.5xx if you need to: Always start by backing up your site.
    b.) Then, download the most recent stable build of Joomla! 1.5xx to your computer (http://www.joomla.org/download.html).
    c.) Then, upload 1.5xx to your remote site root folder (via your ftp client). We have help files in our forums to help you with this.

Note: as you are currently in 1.0 Legacy mode (yet have Joomla! 1.5xx), you will have to access your Administration back-end, go to Extensions>Plugin Manager and disable “System – Legacy”.
    You will then be able to make certain Joomla! 1.5xx relative upgrades (such as CAPTCHA) and additions to your site, but you will no longer be able to run Community Builder 1.4 or the
    Fireboard forum (they are not compatible with Joomla! 1.5xx and above).

2.) Your Forums- You will however, now be able to download Kunena, if that is your choice (it is a free, Joomla! 1.5xx compatible forum) and follow its directions to upload to your site root
    directory. There are other forum solves such as this available to you.

3.) Community Builder- The free 1.4 version of Community Builder is not compatible with Joomla! 1.5xx (which is why it is packaged in the Joomla 1.0 Legacy mode).
    You may contact Community Builder (http://www.joomlapolis.com/) and purchase the current, Joomla! 1.5xx compatible version or you may want to look at Jom Social (http://www.jomsocial.com/) another purchasable community product that is Joomla! 1.5 and 1.6 compatible. Both have support.

Hope that helps. Please feel free to use these support forums for further help or submit a trouble ticket if you think it may be called for.”

Phill Moderator

It was always stated at the time that these are third party add ons. While they are packaged in the quickstart only they are not in the actual downloads, JA are not allowed to do that. By the same logic you seem to think JA should support Joomla itself just because it is packaged in the quickstart? That would be wrong and best left to the Joomla.org team.

What is provided by JA is styling for those components. In this case it was CB and Fireboard. It is ONLY the styling elements that JA can support.

Since that template release FIreboard has become no more so unfortunately there is nothing we can do about that. Kunena took over from the Fireboard project. As this was already a very old template at the time JA did not go back and re-visit it to modernise it with new features such as Kunena. At that time as a user of JA products I spent some time creating a Kunena compatible theme for that template. However about a 8 months ago Kunena changed their template system entirely for Kunena so older themes would not work. JA cannot be held responsible for that either.

CB has come a long way since Sandine was released. I tried updating an install of CB for a user a couple of months back and while it took some effort it did work. I did that update as a courtesay not because JA had to do it contractually. It is not something I would want to undertake again though.

You seem to be running the very old Joomla 1.0. Support for this ran out a very long time ago. As such you are running at a bit of a security risk by using it so you are making the right choice in updating.

Back to your original question are there any of the new templates from JA that would fit your needs better? Pick something like JA Anion and couple it with some of the extensions already mentioned in this thread and I am sure you could have a great site.

Good luck with your site and thanks for your comments.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Phill 13 years ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum