Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

I appreciate your help in the past.

The menu in the “A” position of JA Edenite replicates the section names of the main menu, which is located in the left column. This is NOT what I want.

I can’t find “A” as a module position.

How do I:

– disable or replace the menu that is currently in “A”,
    – maintain the main menu as is in the left column, and
    – reassign to the “A” position my previously created Top Menu .

After the new menu has been moved to “A”, II would like to keep the same fonts, font size, and color bar that come with the original template

Thanks,

George

TomC Moderator

Hi George …..

I think I understand your issues, but forgive me if I am off track.

It’s very easy to unpublish the MainMenu in the left position – simply go into your Module Manager and disable that module. This doesn’t mean that you can’t have a “Main Menu” in that position – simply create a new one in your Menu Manager and assign it to that position. The fonts will conform to the same css stylings as the previous one.

BY the way, don’t concern yourself with this whole “A,” “B”, “C” labeling – that is simply a way the JA Staff labels the template for showcasing purposes on the template pages, that’s all. They are not actual module positions.

Does this help to address your issues?

metroarea Friend

Tom,

Wow, you are polite! (That’s a good thing.)

Anyway, I want to do just the opposite. I want to keep main menu in the left position. I want to put another menu in place of where the main menu located on top.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

George

TomC Moderator

Do you mean change the order of the menus ont he left side?
    In other words, you want another menu displayed above the main menu on the left side?

If this is the case, then all you need do is modify the order of the modules on in the left position.
    You can do this very easily in your Module Manager – in the “Order” column.

Again, if it’s a custom menu you want to create, you can do this within your Menu Manager.
    You can create as many menus as you desire – and display them in any order you wish.

metroarea Friend

Tom,

I am attaching a link to my web sight. The problem is that I do not know how to make the menu items in the horizontal menu at the top of the page different from the main menu on the left. If I change the one on the left, the same happens to the one on the top. I would like to have a different menu on the top.

I hope this helps.

http://www.siteground160.com/~filestor/fss/

Thanks/

George

TomC Moderator

Ahhh, I think I understand now.

Well, all you would really have to do is disable/unpublish the MainMenu module in your Module Manager. Then, just create a new menu (in your Menu Manager) and assign/publish to the “left” position where the Main Menu (on the left) used to be.

NOTE: Don’t disable MainMenu in your Menu Manager – since, there, it is connected to your top horizontal menu. You can still have it unpublished in your Module Manager and enabled in your Menu Manager without any conflict. If you need more items for your top horizontal menu, just add them to the MainMenu in your Menu Manager.

Hope that makes sense.

metroarea Friend

Tom,

Your logic sounds reasonable but has my brain tied in a knot. Let me give some thought to what you suggested, play around with Joomla and give it a try. I’ll get back to you. OK?

George

TomC Moderator

No problem . . . Let us know if have any more trouble.

metroarea Friend

Tom,

I think we we might be getting close to a solution.

I want to do just the opposite of what you suggested. I think it might be less work for me.

Since the top horizontal menu is connected to the MainMenu in the Menu Manager, is there a way to create a new menu and point the horizontal menu items to it. That way, maybe, the left menu could remain unchanged.

I hope this makes sense.

Regards,

George

TomC Moderator

Well, you don’t really need to do that …. all you need to do is keep the Main Menu enabled in your Menu Manager – but unpublish it within your Module Manager. That way, you will have the categories you want within your top horizontal navigation menu, but you won’t have the same items within a “Main Menu” on the left. (You also won’t have the hassle of trying to figure out how to connect a new menu to the top horizontal navigation)

THEN, you simply create a new menu within your Menu Manager with the items you want, and publish it in the same order (or whatever order you want) that the formerly displayed Main Menu used to be.

This is EXACTLY what I did with my site.

Or, as an alternative (if you’re uncomfortable creating an entirely new menu) – and especially if you started with the Quickstart Package installation – simply modify one of the existing alternative menus already created (i.e. other, user, resources, etc.).

metroarea Friend

Your insight is extremely valuable. Thanks.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  metroarea 16 years, 6 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum