Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

I would like to see an INTRANET template for school or company, this is very useful to control the private info cascade within organization.

I haven seen any TEMPLATE PROVIDER had made an INTRANET project,

PERHAPS JOOMLART will be the pioneer in this area, you are the best,

I wish can have response on this suggestion ASAP.

Thanks in Advance.

By,
    Kevin.C

instantinlaw Friend

Please excuse me if this is a stupid question, but isn’t an intranet just an internal website? If so, why don’t you just use one of the less fancy templates like Edanite?

myeco Friend

instantinlaw;128384Please excuse me if this is a stupid question, but isn’t an intranet just an internal website? If so, why don’t you just use one of the less fancy templates like Edanite?

Thanks friend,

You was misunderstanding what my NEEDs!>:(!

What i mean is it can develop a new template just design for INTRANET purpose, of course including ACL, project mgmt, and security component, etc. The main concern is about the USER ACCESS LEVEL and IINFORMATION SECURITY ; THAT not just a simple design template.

You may ask why i had this kind of request or suggest me go joomla.org to download related extension by myself. This is because i had download JA-SANDINE which was FireBoard integrated, but that is not very proper for Company/Education/Hospital and related private area. In my case, my company had 300 suppliers then the INTRANET will become very useful platform for cascade trade information.

Since JA can develop a forum integrated template, so i just wish an INTRANET NATURE TEMPLATE can be in this wish list.

Am i in a wrong room?? or missing something else?? PLEASE guide me, but perhaps you can think twice and really understanding what the member needs before you give reply.

thanks in advance.

“ If i follow as your suggestion, i can use rhuk_milkyway directly, then no need use JA or post any issue at here.

By,
    Kevin.C

Hung Dinh Friend

So it should be called an INTRANET SYSTEM or Turnkey solutions, not a template Kevin

myeco Friend

Hung Dinh;128452So it should be called an INTRANET SYSTEM or Turnkey solutions, not a template Kevin

Dear Hung Dinh,

Thanks for your correction.

So, i think this is not will be in JA future project list, since it is not a template nature. Or you will consider to develop further??

Am i right ?

Thanks for response.

jay973 Friend

<em>@myeco 128361 wrote:</em><blockquote>

I haven seen any TEMPLATE PROVIDER had made an INTRANET project

</blockquote>

I’m not going to post links to other providers here but have you tried Project Fork with the corresponding Projectpraise template?

myeco Friend

jay973;128461I’m not going to post links to other providers here but have you tried Project Fork with the corresponding Projectpraise template?

YES, i am using ProjectFork now. It is a good component, but not very flexible when alter each member privilege, sometimes it not work.

Currently, i study the LifeRay, another impressive intranet open source solution.

wooohanetworks Friend

<em>@Hung Dinh 128452 wrote:</em><blockquote>So it should be called an INTRANET SYSTEM or Turnkey solutions, not a template Kevin</blockquote>

That is correct, there are some more or less serious sites out there that offer “Turnkey solutions” but be cautious with a lot of them. There are mostly resellers with old stuff. The big TM offers turnkey websites for people with no knowledge about anything, but sorry to say, what you get there is not the state of the art anyone looks for.

<em>@myeco 128447 wrote:</em><blockquote>
    What i mean is it can develop a new template just design for INTRANET purpose, of course including ACL, project mgmt, and security component, etc. The main concern is about the USER ACCESS LEVEL and IINFORMATION SECURITY ; THAT not just a simple design template.
    </blockquote>

First, don’t be so rude to members who want to assist, when somebody does not understand your request, first look at your own, what may have caused the misunderstanding, before you front others…;)

I also do not want to make advertising for others but Microsoft offers a lot of stuff and when you talk about serious intranet applications, that may need a bit more than what Joomla offers out of the box or with some free extensions, the big ones like MS may be the right choice.

Yet. Joomla is used by Citibank or one other bank out there for their intranet, but people should understand, they simply spend 100,000$ into a open source software rather then paying plus 200,000$ more to Microsoft or other companies that offer same stuff. So, what they do is, they use the few megs of Joomla and add like a ton of stuff to it, so do not expect a cheap ready to go solution that can really be of use…

When Joomlart.com would consider doing turnkey websites, what they infact do right now with the quickstarts already, I and from my experience, which is not just a few months here at Joomlart.com, the focus should rather be on other regions of the internet, but not directly intranet applications. The problem is that, this is only really possible with a new area of business. You will need to create a new framework of how to achieve “the perfect cost effective intranet application based on Joomla!” because, as soon you fork something like Joomla to an intranet and not more internet solution, you will need to establish a complete new infrastructure to handle follow up support, expansion of the software, to keep the tools up to date and safe.

I would not bring out an intranet extension people can download for below 100$ yearly fee or so, it should always match the relations of what the product should bring and who wants to use it. Sometimes it is like that, when you want to build a strong secure intranet, you need the funds to do so, as negligence here can cause real problems, Intranet is not Internet. It is like comparing the worlds real estate market with a small towns one. When in the world one region is affected by the recession, it does not mean the whole world falls down. In a small town, like a small intranet of 300 users, one error coming up the whole system collapses.

Think about that…

myeco Friend

wooohanetworks;129863That is correct, there are some more or less serious sites out there that offer “Turnkey solutions” but be cautious with a lot of them. There are mostly resellers with old stuff. The big TM offers turnkey websites for people with no knowledge about anything, but sorry to say, what you get there is not the state of the art anyone looks for.

First, don’t be so rude to members who want to assist, when somebody does not understand your request, first look at your own, what may have caused the misunderstanding, before you front others…;)

First, thanks for point out mistakes so that i can improve myself, i will learn to control my temper when i get hurt by disappointed feeling.

As an open source Intranet solution, i found that Liferay is a suitable intranet portal and comply security issues. But it need a dedicated server to host it.

Deeply appreciate about your “small town” theory, it make me think twice before launching the intranet. Hmm, wooohanetworks, May i have some details what is the diff between Extranet and Intranet, i feel that hosting company was confusing me on this. Thanks in advance if can give me a hand on this.

But in terms of Joomla, i think that ProjectFork had potential to envolve to a basic intranet system, i had implement it as project mgmt and it can be highly modify, and development team of the extension seems very promising to continous make it better.

It is worth to recommend to others.

By,
    Kevin.C

mfcphil Friend

For a good read up

Extranet

Intranet

myeco Friend

give a big thanks to you first, buddy, i will study on that. Thanks

myeco Friend

hmm, after read thru your source, i think that i need an EXTRANET not an intranet, because supplier is using internet to login….

Haiz, i need to overhaul the whole project again.

wooohanetworks Friend

<em>@myeco 129986 wrote:</em><blockquote>First, thanks for point out mistakes so that i can improve myself, i will learn to control my temper when i get hurt by disappointed feeling.

As an open source Intranet solution, i found that Liferay is a suitable intranet portal and comply security issues. But it need a dedicated server to host it.

Deeply appreciate about your “small town” theory, it make me think twice before launching the intranet. Hmm, wooohanetworks, May i have some details what is the diff between Extranet and Intranet, i feel that hosting company was confusing me on this. Thanks in advance if can give me a hand on this.

But in terms of Joomla, i think that ProjectFork had potential to envolve to a basic intranet system, i had implement it as project mgmt and it can be highly modify, and development team of the extension seems very promising to continous make it better.

It is worth to recommend to others.

By,
    Kevin.C</blockquote>

Hmm, myaco, there is a thing called dictionary that first will explain what extra and intra means, and also what inter is standing for. But, to short it up, extra relates to external and intra to internal. Also when an extra is something more like the extra cup of coffee, the internet is a thing that connects people all over the world via their computers, each computer just forms the internet and the ones that are always on, like hosts computer, they merely form the hard wire of the internet while users called clients more form the softwire of the structure. In an intranet, you know there your 300 computers form a very small internet with the difference that all the clients are also like hosts and there the security issue comes up. When one user with a lazy knowledge about the thing gets some malware on his client / host, the thing can spread very fast and in a second the 299 other computers have the same malware, while on the internet, the 300 Billion computers will never be affected all at once… So, if ProjectFork is good or not, it is still always the user of the software, who is mostly never a real pro who causes system breakdowns and you know, tell me that Project Fork has same wise people as MS and others, who also fails often, that build some security routines into their programs that avoid that lazy users break the little wired network with no hassle at all…

Got the point… Free is cool, but not very interesting when you need something where you can blame the provider later when the system collapse because the software failed, and who can blame open source providers later, no one, those things come all with the “no warranty thing” and this bad for a commercial intranet that shall serve for some time with 300 busy computers and users on it.. sounds nice for a small private network or intranet with 10 computers on it but 300 professional users will need either a real good one or someone, who you are not, as you state you look for someone to build such, who could enhance the system to really be a wise choice for an intranet of this size. A company with 300 offices connected, they would use it only with some wise investment into it to make it better or use a known closed source program with warranty and so on…

Understand it now? Thanks!

mfcphil Friend

<em>@myeco 129993 wrote:</em><blockquote>hmm, after read thru your source, i think that i need an EXTRANET not an intranet, because supplier is using internet to login….

Haiz, i need to overhaul the whole project again.</blockquote>

Good luck in your project Myeco

wooohanetworks Friend

<em>@mfcphil 130018 wrote:</em><blockquote>Good luck in your project Myeco</blockquote>

He should quickly sign up for a project mgmt. class about network security before starting such project with the intention to get it for free or for low money with Joomla!, that is what I can say…:D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

This topic contains 16 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  myeco 15 years, 5 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum