Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

is this process will easy?

i am a template designer, now i am thinking to design for 1.6 using JT3.
    if i will design in 1.6 then my client must have 1.6 too.

please advice me.

Phill Moderator

I have tried a coupleof times and the process is a lot easier than 1.0.x to 1.5.x was. If templates are very similar it should be an easy task but as I am sure you appreciate, if the structure of templates are very different then as with any upgrade it does become a lot more complex.

Your biggest problem will be available extensions. It all depends on how quickly developer upgrade their extension for J1.6. Joomlart have already made available many of their extensions with the remaining few to follow soon, othere developer may or may not be as fast. Some developer may no longer be actively working on their projects so you may have to look for alternative options.

I myself have been playing with J1.6 for some time now and I am very impressed. However, I plan to wait a few months before I begin updating or creating new sites based upon it.

rahulxx Friend

i am thinking to end my template design for 1.5,
    but it look like it is not as easy I thought.

is joomla 1.5 extensions will not work on joomla 1.6?:confused:

Phill Moderator

No, there will be no legacy mode for Joomla 1.5 extensions to work with Joomla 1.6. All will have to be re-coded to work. Some will be simple while others may require a lot of work. However, this time the transition will be a lot simpler for developers si it is expected that upgrades to extensions will happen a lot faster. I centainly hope so and from what I have seen I believe this will happen very quickly.

As for data migration there are already tools available that will handle that. It looks like a simple component on both ends will be all that is needed. When all the data is migrated it will then be a matter of careful configuration of all components until things are working as they should.

rahulxx Friend

thanks for nice info

developers got extra tension :confused:
    jomla 1.6 releasing tomaro

so we must ready to handle our cleints,

smitheringale Friend

I just tried replacing purity css with portfolio css and the purity 1.6 template looked virtually identical to the portfolio 1.5. template (except background images were missing)

Couldn’t one just use ja purity 1.6 as a starting point and replace all purity 1.6 css with css from the 1.5 template (provided it is a relatively recent template using the latest framework). Then one could replace the image folder from purity1.6 with the image folder from the 1.5 template.

That’s really very easy to do – and hopefully all of the latest 1.5 templates using the recent t3 framework will be updated in a matter of days – or am i missing something?

I’m thinking about a fresh new site – rather than necessarily upgrading an existing site.

Phill Moderator

Please be patient, over the next few days many of the templates will be available in J1.6 versions. The modifications of most of the JAT3 V2 templates is quite easy. The pre-jat3 templates are a lot of work inded and it is more like building a complete new template.

In addition, this thread is about the data migration of one template to another, no coding the update of existing templates. Can we keep it to one topic as it may confuse people.

TomC Moderator

So, I’m just wondering . . . will we need to use the NEW templates that have been “upgraded” for J 1.6, or will we be able to upgrade our existing 1.5 templates? (e.g., if I’m working with Zeolite II (with the JA T3 Framework), will I need to start over if I want to take advantage of the J 1.6 features?)

Phill Moderator

You will need to use the new template but will be able to transfer the css changes. Can you show ust the site you wish to transfer?

TomC Moderator

<em>@phill luckhurst 214553 wrote:</em><blockquote>You will need to use the new template but will be able to transfer the css changes. Can you show ust the site you wish to transfer?</blockquote>
    oh noooooooooooooooo …. it’s very much still a WIP. 😉

Though I have made some relatively significant CSS modifications – as well as modifications of the Virtuemart files.
    I assume we will be able to simply transfer over things like Virtuemart template files with no problem, yes?

What about database info transfer?

Phill Moderator

As above, there is a migration tool available but there will still be a lot of work involved. Is virtuemart available for J1.6?

TomC Moderator

<em>@phill luckhurst 214555 wrote:</em><blockquote>As above, there is a migration tool available but there will still be a lot of work involved. Is virtuemart available for J1.6?</blockquote>
    Knowing the snail-pace of Virtuemart development/innovation, probably not (yet) :((

scotty Friend

Virtuemart will most likely never be available for 1.6. Development came to a stand still some time ago and unless someone else takes it on it will go no further. It’s written for much older PHP and would have to be completely rewritten from scratch.

Tienda is the cart of the future (or so they’re telling us anyway!). It’s already written with the MVC framework so is already suited to 1.6

TomC Moderator

<em>@scotty 214565 wrote:</em><blockquote>
    Tienda is the cart of the future (or so they’re telling us anyway!). It’s already written with the MVC framework so is already suited to 1.6</blockquote>
    Unless I’m completely missing something, that Tienda site doesn’t even provide a “demo” to look at/review – nor are there any examples of sites using their extension. I’d like to take a look before downloading/installing any extension.

scotty Friend

It’s still in BETA but I know some of the VM extension developers have already switched sides.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

This topic contains 20 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  rahulxx 13 years, 9 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum