Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

The bottom line is that no matter how you make them, templates have basic structure:

Header
    Body
    Footer

whatever site you want to create.

Layout and positions

Each of the above maybe elaborated or made more unique by defining the “positions” in each of the above major divisions, and each subdivision subdivided further depending on how complex your site is.

Based on this idea, if all positions are collapsible when not in use, then from a single general template, you can generate a gazilion permutations. The trick is the insight to identify what and how many general positions would be in the general template.

If there are very limited positions, like the case with JA Teline II (even less than the original JA Teline), then there is less number of permutations to create uniqueness among websites created by customers.

Layout and CSS

The beauty of a few basic general templates is that the css could essentially be made “constant” and hopefully they have defined positions — not like right now where the left is actually to the right of the “Main Section” and the Top is actually at the Bottom of the Main Section.

One of the most difficult things to do is to change CSS, and unless you know the terrain, you can mess up everything. The more these basic templates are kept constant, it would be easier for everyone to learn the “house” layout.

If this is done, and the webdesigners resist the temptation of changing them, there would be less errors when they create “clone templates, and less confusion from clueless users.

Modules and modular format

What really differentiates one site from another, even using the same general basic template would be the modules added — with each module wrapped properly so that they do not break the layout when placed in a specific position; and with flexible width and height so that they would occupy the maximum alloted to a give position.

Based on the above basic guidelines, what Joomlart should be focusing on would be the creation of stand alone modules that have been tested to be compatible with the basic templates.

There could be multiple modules for the JA News for example, akin to the “News Module” of Gavick Pro, so that you could stick them anywhere — change the color quickly, background of the templates, ordering of contents and number of articles, and more.

If the webdesigners are savvy enough, it should not be difficult to create two-column layouts where the widths are different.

The same can be done with slide shows or other multimedia. How about creating header sections so that the logo is floating and the space at the top could be a virtual slide show of featured images — preferrably featured images that you can click on and will transport you to desired sections, categories, or specific articles.

If Joomlart adopts this more creative perspective there would be more reason to stay.

What is the sense of staying if all you get month-to-month are clones of the same tired layouts? And, let’s be more practical, how many of you are going to change your website because you found a template with an interesting feature? A new template that may have its own baggages of bugs because it has not been fully tested.

Since I joined Joomlart, the only thing that excited me to come back was JA Teline II. It truly is different from the usual clones, but sadly, there was a regression in the layout positions and abandonment of layouting styles that are more aesthetically pleasing.

I was really bummed when I came back, and the debate about merits or lack thereof of two templates per month was being renewed yet by another post. I thought the powers that be at Joomlart finally had the backbone to make a stand, when it tried to test the waters. To my knowledge many of the posters (albeit quite a minority of the total) were leaning towards one template per month.

It is apparent based from the posting in the forum that Joomlart cannot support two templates per month. The lack of originality of the new templates is evident, and the lack of well-written manuals have caused confusion and frustration.

Not that Joomlart will listen to my ramblings, but I see many posters here who have the ears of Hung. So, why don’t you exert your influence?

Cornelio

osix Friend

i say is lovely 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

This topic contains 17 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  osix 16 years, 3 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum