Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Is it possible to use JA News modules within the Pyrite theme?

I did a hack early today and I got most of it working by transferring PHP code from the Teline II index.php to the Pyrite index.php and including the JA News CSS. But I can’t resolve the Left column.

Turning off or pushing all left modules right still does not allow the module to site correctly in the left module position. If I add the JA news position to the templateDetails.xml I can get the JA news to work but it is pushed to the bottom of the left module position.

I need to use a white theme and Pyrite has great Typography… any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

geekyartist Friend

I am not sure this is approved by JoomlArt but here is how I solved adding JA News modules to JA Pyrite theme.

1. Copy the ja.news.css and ja.news.fp.css from the Teline II CSS directory to your template/pyrite/css directory.

2. Open the Teline II Index.php file and extract the following code into your Pyrite Index.php file.

First the CSS – add a new line and paste the follow below the last CSS entry.

<link rel=”stylesheet” href=”<?php echo $tmpTools->templateurl(); ?>/css/ja.news.css” type=”text/css” />

Next

Look for the section labeled – <!– BEGIN: CONTENT –> and the following code:
    <?php if ($ja_left) { ?>
    <!– BEGIN: LEFT COLUMN –>
    <div id=”ja-col1″>
    <div class=”ja-innerpad”>
    <jdoc:include type=”modules” name=”left” style=”xhtml” />
    </div></div><br />
    <!– END: LEFT COLUMN –>
    <?php } ?>

Now copy and paste the following code from the Teline II index.php file below the upper code for Left!

<!– BEGIN: JAZIN –>
    <?php if($tmpTools->isFrontPage()) : ?>
    <div id=”jazin-fp”>
    <jdoc:include type=”modules” name=”ja-news” style=”raw” />
    </div>
    <?php endif; ?>
    <!– END: JAZIN –>

3. Open the templateDetails.xml and look for the section labeled – <positions>

Add the following –

<position>ja-login</position>

Now look for the section labeled – <css>

Add the following –

<filename>css/ja.news.css</filename>
    <filename>css/ja.news.fp.css</filename>

Almost done!

4. Login to to the backend administration account and select Main Menu
    Select the Home menu (should be in the 1st position) default and is set to front page view.

In the parameters
    set # Leading = 0
    # Intro = 0
    Columns =1
    # Links = 0

Now install the janews and janews.fp modules that came with the Teline II template. Activate them and set your desired front page parameters.

Make sure you don’t have any modules set to left on the home page. Now refresh your page and you should see JA News in Pyrite! Yea!!!

Done! 😀

The mistake I made initially was to install the JA News Component and that hoses me.

If you decide to partake on this little exercise I suggest you make a copy of all your files clean after installation before you make any mods.

Good luck

codger Friend

Hi geekyartist,

Thanks for an interesting post. I am curious that your attempt to use the JA News Component failed. Was this the beta version or the final paid-for version?

btw, what’s “hoses me”?

Codger

geekyartist Friend

Hello and thanks for your reply.

As I said in my follow-up post I was able to resolve the problems but not without making changes to the CSS and other files. The JA News component will not work out of the box, but will work if you make the adjustments I outlined.

That is the only explanation I can give you at this point.

I am a paid user and yes this was the full released version.

codger Friend

Hi geekyartist,

Thanks again for your contribution. I think we (both you and I) might not be understanding each other clearly.

Your first post seemed to indicate that you would have liked to adapt the JA News MODULE fom Teline II into the Pyrite template and that seemed clear enough. (Many of must have wondered about that). Then in your second post you showed us what looked like a pretty cool solution to achieve just that. Then at the end of your post you said “The mistake I made initially was to install the JA News COMPONENT . . “

You will see that I am drawing attention to MODULE vs COMPONENT. (Sorry for the shouting.) There is a free-standing JA News Component (as distinct from Module) and I was trying to establish that it was indeed the Component that you were referring to. Sorry if this is a bit laboured.

Codger

geekyartist Friend

Codger,

Ok I see what you are refering now. I originally installed the JA News module. The component works just fine regardless of what template you are using. It was the module that I was having difficulty with working correctly with the Pyrite template. I have used the JA News MODULE with many JA Templates that do not come with the code built in like Pyrite.

Sorry for the confussion!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  geekyartist 15 years, 9 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum