Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Just a thought I had . . . . .

There are a number of pretty decent PHP script developers out there who have created some great function scripts for various purposes. One that comes to mind is Built2Go.

I was thinking that it could be a very cool and unique offering if, perhaps, the JA Development Team considered approaching Built2Go for a possible partnership in developing combinations of JoomlArt Templates with Built2Go scripts (i.e. Classifieds, Auctions, Shopping, Portal, Personals, Movie Reviews, Real Estate).

BOTH could benefit from such a partnership – as I know that the B2G people also have Themestock – where they offer skins for various CMS and Bulletin Boards.

Again, just a suggestion.

TOM

instantinlaw Friend

tcraw1010;23168Just a thought I had . . . . .

There are a number of pretty decent PHP script developers out there who have created some great function scripts for various purposes. One that comes to mind is Built2Go.

I was thinking that it could be a very cool and unique offering if, perhaps, the JA Development Team considered approaching Built2Go for a possible partnership in developing combinations of JoomlArt Templates with Built2Go scripts (i.e. Classifieds, Auctions, Shopping, Portal, Personals, Movie Reviews, Real Estate).

BOTH could benefit from such a partnership – as I know that the B2G people also have Themestock – where they offer skins for various CMS and Bulletin Boards.

Again, just a suggestion.

TOM

Or if you needed a custom component, you could make a post over at Joomlancers.com

TomC Moderator

<em>@instantinlaw 23194 wrote:</em><blockquote>Or if you needed a custom component, you could make a post over at Joomlancers.com</blockquote>

Well, that’s true, of course . . . .

However, I was making the suggestion for the JA Development Team as a way to stand apart from the rest of the pack. I mean, YooTheme has their innovative Web 2.0 Templates which make them somewhat unique amongst the pack. RocketTheme is introducing new elements and features all the time. I really like the JA Community, and I would love to see things get exciting again around here.

🙂

ErikThorsen Friend

Gotta say I agree with Tom here.

Unless Joomlart Team start coming up with some really impressive templates they need to add something else to the templates. There are large amounts of developers out there to “get in touch” with. They could also benefit from a partnership with Joomlart.

The Joomlart team could also partner with a new developer for each project if they want.

I think my point ( and perhaps also Tom ) is that currently the templates doesn’t offer the same whizz kabang as they did previously and thus need something else to “stand out” from the rest.

There are quite a few template providers out there and JA needs to be on top and not among the top… If you know what I mean.

Just my 5 cents. I would have contacted a few developers just to test/try it out and also looked at how JA could add additional features to templates that stands out a bit better than the latest templates.

Ok, enough “bad review” but I am just trying to be constructive and give my opinion and also try to give some feedback on how I think it could improve. Feel free to add you voice to this thread!

Menalto Friend

One good thing with the Ja templates is that they dont use so much add ons and different scripts. Just look at all the other template providers.
    There is many conflicts with different add ons for Joomla and all thoose scripts that make people frustrated.
    And if people wants a template with alot of functionality its no problems to add that later on and still can use the add on’s without problems.
    It just requires some work there and then and its finished.

For partnering with different php script developers, hmm, think about all the testing needed to make it stable etc,support. Maybe its worth it maybe not.

cgc0202 Friend

I agree with the idea of the original post by Tom. I am reluctant to hire just any freelancer because I do not know the quality of the work, and what he did with the script. And, most likely since it is one on one, it would be too costly for the one who sought technical assistance.

I found out about JA, only because of my interaction with Merav, the founder of iJoomla. She suggested that what I was looking for and proposed in my mock template is quite similar to JA Teline. And, when I looked at the JA Teline, it had many of the features, I was looking for, notwidthstanding the bugs mentioned by others, in this forum. With that as a starting point, the staff w would work with me to integrate their script and further modify the JA Teline. She was emphatic however that they are not in the template business so they could not be of much help in that direction.

The actual template and script that I am looking for example must integrate the best features of the iJoomla Magazine and their News Portal, to be able to transform my website’s content into a more cohesive site — even if it is not really a news magazine site. I have been suggesting some changes to integrate them into iJoomla’s products because the result would more approximate the online templates of really professional online news and news magazines, like New York Times, BBC News, and others that I like.

I am sure I have wasted much of the time of Merav because I requested her to install the stuff for me, but iJoomla is not really a template company. On the other hand JA is. So, if both would collaborate as well as listen to the features rhat template users actually want, then truly innovative and useful templates would come out.

A much improved JA Teline or other similar templates plus the integrated scripts from iJoomla’s magazine and news portal could rival even some of the truly professional online news and news magazines.

In contrast, if JA and iJoomla just collaborate, they might be able to produce the hybrid “magazine — news portal” template with many of the features that I wanted — both companies would benefit because they could market truly innovative products and services, and I get the template that I want, all for just $130 paid to both JA and iJoomla.

So, it is all a win-win situation.

It took me forever (more than two weeks) to prepare the mock up and corresponding CSS. I have asked for help from some “friends” but that was not as productive either. If they did, I would have owed them a lifetime favor too that could not be repaid. And, if I paid myself for the effort with what I have done (however bad it was to present my concept to Merav), it would have cost me more than a thousand dollars to pay myself. Custom templates that are truly professional do cost more than that.

So, I strongly support the suggestion in the original post. In fact, as well intentioned as open source scripts are, many have not reached the stage yet to be worth considering. It might help in economizing “modules” integrated into Joomla, if many of the features found are integrated properly in robust scripts and presented in elegant and practical templates.

And, I am spending more time here than setting up my templates and site right now because the sooner I can make the template and scripts developers integrate features that I wanted, the sooner my site would look what I really wanted it to me and be more effective in reaching my desired visitors also.

Cornelio

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  cgc0202 17 years, 2 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum