Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Is it possible to have 2 JA Slideshows on my home page that have synchronised changes?

The idea would be to have a main slideshow where the slide topics were complemented with a linked slideshow. For example; company overview topics with images (in content-mass-top) could be augmented with testimonial quotes (in right) that relate to that topic.

I know something like this could be done with a suitably designed image set in a single slideshow, but this could offer more flexibility.

himangi Friend

Hi,

As I understand, you want to display some image on the left and some related testimonial on the right.. My question is, do you want to display some decription on the image or the testimonial will be the only description shown with image? Second question is while the image stays there, different testimonials will be shown or only one?

If you have say img1 in some folder, and you want to display only specific testimonial with it, you can simply use the Ja slideshow module with “From Image Folder” option in module params and define the testimonials to be shown as description of the image..

If my interpretation is not correct, it would be good if you can provide a screenshot where I can see what result you are expecting exactly.

midsomer Friend

Hi,

This is the idea I had in mind.

The existing experimental test site setup I have uses JA Hedera with a slideshow and a custom module to show an article as a testimonial, which being an article is fixed.

What would be a nice effect is that if several testimonials could be in another slideshow, each linked to the main one in a synchronised manner, such that when the main slide changed the testimonial changed to the one relevant to that slide.

I see that JA Slideshow in JA Social has a setting to show a description text over the slide image. This certainly has the facility to overlay more information, however, I think a side-by-side display is a better layout.

I didn’t envision the child (slideshow2) slide changing whilst the master (slideshow1) remains in show. But this feature would be very flexible and enable very creative slideshow displays.

As I said in my initial question, I realise this layout style could be done using graphic design where each slide image in a single slideshow has an area for extra text or image, but synchronised slideshow modules would give more options for using images and articles.

TomC Moderator

Wow . . . I am not sure about how close you will be able to get the syncronization – as I believe the loading time is relative to the size of the images – which could/would affect the initial start of the respective slideshows.

A possible “work-around” alternative could be to implement the slideshow layout and relative script files from the JA-Kyanite II template – which has a very similar side-by-side configuration as the example you created above. Of course, there will be some custom styling that will need to be done . . . but, if I understand what you are trying to accomplish, it seems completely do-able.

😎

midsomer Friend

Might be worth experimenting. Which are the ‘relative script files’ in Kyanite II?
    I can hack around with php, but if it’s js it’s black magic to me at this stage.

TomC Moderator

<em>@midsomer 248710 wrote:</em><blockquote>Might be worth experimenting. Which are the ‘relative script files’ in Kyanite II?
    I can hack around with php, but if it’s js it’s black magic to me at this stage.</blockquote>

Well, by “relative” i meant whatever CSS styling, and php configuration (within the slideshow.php file) that makes the slideshow in Kyanite II work/display as it does.

Mind you, Kyanite II has not yet been upgraded for J1.6 – so that may or may not be an issue insofar as the slideshow module function is concerned (I’m thinking not – but it will take some trial-and-error experimentation).

Just be patient with the process . . . I have no doubt whatsoever that you will achieve the result you want.

midsomer Friend

Tom, thanks for the moral support.

Any pointers on the code that triggers the manual/auto slide navigation in JA Slideshow?
    It occurs to me that having a common navigation event handler feeding two slideshows may be an approach.

Malc

TomC Moderator

Not sure about that …. though If you had two separate slideshow modules enacted, then the same elements would be in place and functional for each.

Dig the family crest. 😉

himangi Friend

I am not sure about the sync you want between 2 slideshow modules.. You may need to get some custom development done for your requirement.. If you are willing to pay for the custom development, you can post your requirement at joomlancers.com and find a freelancer to get the work done.

midsomer Friend

OK, I’ve played around with the two slideshow modules in the JA Social demo having them both active on the home page. They seem to sync changes together ok, so now I would like to position the two of them side-by-side in the content-mass-top block.

I read the JA T3 Framework 2 Developer Guide and tried cloning and modifying a layout as below to see if I could get the inset2-left block to embed in another custom block “myblock”.

<blocks name="middle" colwidth="22">
    <blocks name="myblock" style="xhtml">
    <block name="content-mass-top" style="jaraw">content-mass-top</block>
    <block name="inset1">left</block>
    </blocks>
    <block name="content-top" type="spotlight">user1,user2,user3</block>
    <block name="right2">right</block>
    </blocks>

This didn’t work at all. Probably because I didn’t define the “myblock” properly or maybe because I used nested <blocks> tags. Unfortunately the JA T3 Wiki does help on this kind of layout change.

I read that customising the JA T3 Framework should be done with the layout xml files rather than the default.php layout, but I could use some guidance. Do I also need to modify the default.php?

The below image describes what I’m trying to achieve. Pointers on how to do this would be appreciated.

What xml layout or default.php modification can achieve this?

TIA

himangi Friend

Hi,

Instead of your code
    <blockquote><blocks name=”myblock” style=”xhtml”>
    <block name=”content-mass-top” style=”jaraw”>content-mass-top</block>
    <block name=”inset1″>left</block>
    </blocks></blockquote>

You can use <block name=”content-mass-top” style=”spotlight” special=”right” specialwidth=”25″>yourposition_left,yourposition_right</block>
    The style spotlight, normally allows you to use multiple positions which will have same height and equal widths unless defined otherwise. The Special & Specialwidth params allow you to define some specific width for a left / right positions from whatever positions you define in the type spotlight.
    Now in my code, I am defining some specific width to the yourposition_right so I am using special=”right” and I am defining some special width to it, which is in percentage.. So from my code the yourposition_right will have 25% width of the total available width and yourposition_left will have remaining that is 75% of width.. This division will change if there are more than 2 positions..

For example, say I have defined positions like following
    <block name=”content-mass-top” style=”spotlight” special=”right” specialwidth=”25″>position1,position2,position3,position4</block> then the position4 will have 25% of the total available width and the remaining positions will have 75/3 % width each.

Hope I am clear enough and this will solve your problem. 🙂

midsomer Friend

Thanks Himangi,

I experimented with your code suggestion and eventually got the layout I was looking for :). As you can see there are still styling issues I need to resolve in order to get a clean look, but the layout is effective as shown by ?tp=1 and Firebug.

I would never have worked this one out myself, so thank you. I would suggest that this tip be included in the JAT3 Wiki for others to benefit from. Any other special Block layout tips would be very useful.

Here is what I got so far, with markings. Hope it helps others too.

:(( There seems to be a lot of delay in seeing the changes when a modification is saved and when you see any effect on a live site. Using JAT3 Clean Cache doesn’t really help. The only way I found to force changes to be seen quicker was to use the CPANEL tools select a different layout, apply it, then go back and select my layout and apply it again. Any tips for reducing this latency?

midsomer Friend

:confused: It just occurred to me after posting the last reply, that I used type=”spotlight” rather than style=”spotlight” as Himangi suggested.

I arrived at using type by looking at its use in another line in the layout code, so experimented with it.

Changing the layout to style=”spotlight” works too but the default slideshow settings somewhere increases the width to force the two of them to wrap to two rows instead of side-by-side.

Any ideas where to change the width settings to get control?

Phill Moderator

That is because there are style definitions for “Spotlight” in the css. Search for the string spotlight in template.css

midsomer Friend

Thanks for the css pointer Phil.

Well I eventually got side-by-side slideshows working but unfortunately trying to use JA Slideshow for this effect proved too cumbersome. Trying to align JA Slideshows horizontally seems quite difficult, as it appears to use js script files as well as css and jat3 core stuff. I couldn’t find a way of stopping them wrapping >:(.

I decided to try using a simple slideshow extension and found one that is based on a plugin that was ideal for my purpose. So rather than use JA Slideshow in content-mass-top I made a custom html module and used this simple slideshow plugin code.

{besps}set1|align=3|width=500|auto=1{/besps}
    {besps}set2|align=4|width=244|auto=1{/besps}

To get a nice appearance I designed the slides to have background layers that looks like a module style outline. Set1 on the left, set2 on the right.

It turns out that the slide changes between the sets is virtually in sync as far as I could tell. Maybe having a common plugin engine helps.

Here is the eventual look.

After all this maybe you could say it would be as easy to make single slides showing the same images. Probably, but it wouldn’t be as flexible when you only want to change the smaller slide set. Also it wouldn’t be as much of a challenge :laugh:!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

This topic contains 15 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  midsomer 13 years, 4 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum