Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I asked this question is a different thread, but it may have been lost in the shuffle . . .

I’ve decided I want to use JA Social for a project. I would like to take advantage of the upgraded features of JomSocial 2.2 – so I know/understand that the JA Team is working on upgrading JA Social for this (and that it’s not yet available).

What I am wondering is whether or not I can, at least, begin working on styling modifications using the JA Social template – without yet purchasing/installing the JomSocial script – and then, when JA releases the updated JA Social template, be able to upgrade just those elements that the template requires to work with JomSocial 2.2.

Does that make sense? Any insights/thoughts about this ??

:confused:

TomC Moderator

Anyone ??

:((

housefly Friend

I would wait a little while.

It appears that the template will go through some structural changes/rewrites before it is released – so I wouldn’t bother styling the old one – if I were you.. However – you can of course do all your basic menu and content setup – and make your artwork ready (custom logo etc.) – just be aware that you will probably need to apply the artwork again (overwrite defaults) after reinstallng the new template.

Basically, just wait like the rest of us.. :laugh:

TomC Moderator

Yah … I thought that might be the case. Just thought I’d throw the question out there anyway to see if the upgrade would be something where only the JomSocial scripting related elements would be affected rather than the CSS styling. Oh well – was worth asking.

🙂

TomC Moderator

Thinking logically … I would suspect that the CSS styling is separate and apart from the re-coding for compatibility with JomSocial 2.2 – so if one were to modify the CSS for one’s needs, the upgrade modifications of JA Social for JomScoial 2.2 should be a matter of overwriting the respective files within the structure.

In the alternative, if one were to have done some CSS modification and the above upgrade method wouldn’t work, then would not one simply be able to overwrite the respective CSS styles for the upgraded JA Social template? I can’t imagine that the Dev Team are concentrating so much on the CSS styling as they are the JomSocial 2.2 and Kunena Forum issues – right?

I would like to hear from JA Developer or one of the other Dev Team members as to this issue, though.

TomC Moderator

To provide info for all, here is the response I received from the JA Support Team . . .

[FONT=Candara, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]

I’m afraid you have to take note which css find you have modified and what you have done on it. Then when upgrading ja social, you have to re-apply the changes again. Thats the safe and certain way.
    Sincerely,

Hung Nguyen Duy
    JoomlArt Customer Service.

[/FONT]

So, if I’m reading this correctly, it sounds to me that one could work with the current template and start to style various base elements – keeping track of what one has modified – and then overwrite the relative css when the update is released.

As I wouldn’t be touching the JomSocial elements anyway, I would think that starting to modify the css of other non JomSocial elements of the template will work with the above noted plan of action. (at least I hope so).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  TomC 13 years, 6 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum