Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Hi,

I have just purchased and downloaded the latest JA Social package and uploaded via FTP the quickstart zipfile on my Debian Linux, PHP 5.3.3-7, Apache2, MySQL 5.1.49-3 server.
    I unzipped it and after the configuration I have reached the main site and I see only a white blank page as the front office. :((
    However the backoffice is still available and I did the disable of System-SEF plugin as suggested in another forum.
    I also reuploaded and reinstall everything but so far no luck.
    Can you please help ?
    Thanks,
    Luigi

Sherlock Friend

Hi magimax.

Can you send me FTP and super admin Joomla account via PM, I will check and try to find a solution for you.
    Regards.

Paul Massell Friend

Did you install JomSocial? The quickstart does not include JomSocial but it may be calling JomSocial elements since the demo does.

<em>@magimax 248755 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi,

I have just purchased and downloaded the latest JA Social package and uploaded via FTP the quickstart zipfile on my Debian Linux, PHP 5.3.3-7, Apache2, MySQL 5.1.49-3 server.
    I unzipped it and after the configuration I have reached the main site and I see only a white blank page as the front office. :((
    However the backoffice is still available and I did the disable of System-SEF plugin as suggested in another forum.
    I also reuploaded and reinstall everything but so far no luck.
    Can you please help ?
    Thanks,
    Luigi</blockquote>

magimax Friend

<em>@nguoiabcd 248794 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi magimax.

Can you send me FTP and super admin Joomla account via PM, I will check and try to find a solution for you.
    Regards.</blockquote>

Your private message box is full, I cannot leave you a message

magimax Friend

<em>@xenocast 248860 wrote:</em><blockquote>Did you install JomSocial? The quickstart does not include JomSocial but it may be calling JomSocial elements since the demo does.</blockquote>

I tried but same result..

Paul Massell Friend

I installed to check this out since I want to use this template. I got the same problem but found that it is an issue with JA Thumbnail. Disable that plugin and you won’t get the blank page. I haven’t looked yet at the plugin but if I remember correctly I had a problem like this in the past and it was a permissions issue under /images/

I will look at that later and if I can give you specific instructions to resolve it I will.

Regards
    Paul

magimax Friend

<em>@xenocast 248994 wrote:</em><blockquote>…JA Thumbnail. Disable that plugin and you won’t get the blank page. </blockquote>
    Done but nothing change.
    <em>@xenocast 248994 wrote:</em><blockquote> a permissions issue under /images/ </blockquote>
    I have full root access to my server and I set chmod -r 777 * on my root directory but

I still have a blank home page :((

TomC Moderator

Did you install the sample data ??

magimax Friend

<em>@tcraw1010 249004 wrote:</em><blockquote>Did you install the sample data ??</blockquote>

yes i did, as I am new to JA Social i did so 🙂

magimax Friend

In my apache2 logfiles I can see the following error:
    Fatal error: Class ‘T3Hook’ not found in……htdocs/templates/ja_social/html/com_content/frontpage/default_item.php on line 40
    but when I check the administrator backoffice I can see the JA T3 Framework correctly enabled.
    Any idea???:cool::((:((:((

Paul Massell Friend

For clarification, when you said “latest” I assumed you meant for 1.6 is that what you are talking about or the latest1.5 version?

So assuming we are dealing with J! 1.6 here are some suggestions:

first thing that I’d recommend since you still have admin access is go to your Global Config and
    1) Go to Global Config > Site. What is the default access level set to?
    2) Do you have any of the SEO settings set to Yes? If so, set them to No temporarily just to rule out anything.
    3) Go to Global Config > System and set Debug System to Yes
    4) Go to Global Config > Server – do you have your temp path properly configured? If you have a trailing forward slash remove it i.e. /tmp not /tmp/
    5) Go to Global Config > Server – set Error Reporting to Maximum.
    6) Go to Global Config > Permissions Have you assigned these yet or are they at default?
    7) (Save the settings then) Go to your home page. What errors do you see now?
    8) If you still see a blank page do you have a default .html page in your web root and have it superceding index.php? Try going to your home page like this: http://www.domain.com/index.php instead of http://www.domain.com/
    9) the .htaccess file enabled in the web root? (not required but could affect things especially if you made changes like rewrites)

Once this is resolved then restore your global settings to your preferred wrt things like error reporting.

*Also before doing any of the above if you haven’t already done so – make sure that all of your caches are clean and run the Global Checkin
    *Do a browser cache clean too.

<em>@magimax 249001 wrote:</em><blockquote>Done but nothing change.

I have full root access to my server and I set chmod -r 777 * on my root directory.

I still have a blank page :((</blockquote>

Sherlock Friend

<em>@xenocast 249008 wrote:</em><blockquote>For clarification, when you said “latest” I assumed you meant for 1.6 is that what you are talking about or the latest1.5 version?

So assuming we are dealing with J! 1.6 here are some suggestions:

first thing that I’d recommend since you still have admin access is go to your Global Config and
    1) Go to Global Config > Site. What is the default access level set to?
    2) Do you have any of the SEO settings set to Yes? If so, set them to No temporarily just to rule out anything.
    3) Go to Global Config > System and set Debug System to Yes
    4) Go to Global Config > Server – do you have your temp path properly configured? If you have a trailing forward slash remove it i.e. /tmp not /tmp/
    5) Go to Global Config > Server – set Error Reporting to Maximum.
    6) Go to Global Config > Permissions Have you assigned these yet or are they at default?
    7) (Save the settings then) Go to your home page. What errors do you see now?
    8) If you still see a blank page do you have a default .html page in your web root and have it superceding index.php? Try going to your home page like this: http://www.domain.com/index.php instead of http://www.domain.com/
    9) the .htaccess file enabled in the web root? (not required but could affect things especially if you made changes like rewrites)

Once this is resolved then restore your global settings to your preferred wrt things like error reporting.

*Also before doing any of the above if you haven’t already done so – make sure that all of your caches are clean and run the Global Checkin
    *Do a browser cache clean too.</blockquote>
    xenocast, you are good guy.
    magimax, please kindly do as xenocast advise, then we can see what is wrong on your site. And you can send pm now (I made empty pm box)
    Regards

magimax Friend

Well, i’ve installed the quickstart for Joomla 1.5.
    I will now try installing J1.6 then if I can I will send FTP details to nguoiabcd.

Paul Massell Friend

Got it. Many of those things I listed still apply for the 1.5 version. Something else to check on if you get the same problem with 1.6, check the cookie parameters in the Global Config. And in 1.6 check the “Warnings” tab for insights into problems.

I’m reaching here but you might also want to check your php.ini settings wrt max post / upload and script execution. With the quickstart / data you may have bypassed some of the bottlenecks that you normally would not be able to get by when installing JomSocial.

Another stretch – but when you setup your site were you logged in as the ftp or the root user? If you were logged in as root or if you executed commands as root even after the install, you may have some files/directories owned by “root” or “apache” rather than your ftp / virtual user. This can cause big problems and you’ll want to do a recursive chown. So something like:

chown -R user1:user1 /home/user1/htdocs/*
    user1 being your ftp user name. If you have groups defined then you might do something like user1:group1 – and that path being however your server is setup to house your webroot. So if you were use Plesk it might look more like /var/www/vhosts/user1/httpdocs/*

<em>@magimax 249082 wrote:</em><blockquote>Well, i’ve installed the quickstart for Joomla 1.5.
    I will now try installing J1.6 then if I can I will send FTP details to nguoiabcd.</blockquote>

magimax Friend

I have installed the quickstart for Joomla1.6 and it works perfectly! 🙂
    I don’t mind to go for Joomla1.6 but I had some previous experience with J1.5 so I preferred to go for it, but it’s time to change.
    So I stay with Joomla1.6 and JA Social and I am happy like this.

To sum up the steps I did so far ( for others to have a clue with possible problems ):
    1) I have checked my apache2 error logfile to understand some potential problems (var/log/apache2/error.log )
    2) I have checked my php.ini to see if “Resource Limits” settings were properly set (in particular my “memory_limit” was set to 128mb and I think it was enough)
    3) I have installed separately Joomla 1.5.23 and later the template (+ required plugins), but still had the same blank homepage.
    4) I gave full read-write-execute rights to my virtual user, with chown -R myuser:mygroup * and chmod -R *
    …but the blank page still was not resolved, so I upgraded to J1.6.

Thanks for your support.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

This topic contains 16 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Paul Massell 13 years, 4 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum