Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Joomla 1.7 will be released on July 10th

This is the link :http://www.joomla.org/announcements/release-news/5372-joomla-17-alpha-released.html

It seems Joomla 1.6 is just an interim upgrade and will only be supported 1 year after Joomla 1.7 is released.Thereafter only Joomla 1.5 and Joomla 1.7 will be supported.

So how will Joomlart support the templates? ….would it not be a better strategy to just support J1.5 and J 1.7 ie release release all old and new templates under Joomla 1.7 rather than Joomla 1.6 ?

Some clarifications from Joomlart would be much appreciated.

Arvind Chauhan Moderator

Hi there,

Yes, we got the news and i even tweeted it today morning. We would be deciding on the same soon. AS per joomla.org the upgrades should not be much of a problem… lets wait and watch… i think we may put the July 2011 Joomla 1.6 template version to hold and update it for Joomla 1.7 directly.. though nothing confirmed yet on the same.

Arvind

2Patrick Friend

Hi

Apparently, Joomla 1.6 is going to be supported just one month after Joomla 1.7 is launched.

So it makes sense to have the July template running on J 1.7.

The major release is not J 1.6 or J 1.7

Its J 1.8 or it may also be called J 2.0 .Its supposed to be launched in Jan 2012.

So the strategy JA can adopt is to have all new templates on J 1.7 ( from July ) and the important ones like Teline II,III,IV etc on J 1.7 and J 1.5 until Jan 2012.

Phill Moderator

I really hope the updates by Joomla.org for all the interim builds will not cause all the template clubs and extension developers a real headache. If they are carefully done then templates and extensions on the whole should work straight off or require only minor modification. If that turns out not to be the case then developers really are going to be fed up with having to re-do all their work every 6 months which can only in turn hurt the Joomla project. Let’s wait and see what J1.7 brings.

Paul Massell Friend

1.7 is supposed to be a direct update path from 1.6 rather than what we’ve seen with 1.0>1.5 and 1.5>1.6. I think the versioning turmoil with Joomla is primarily semantics. IMHO 1.7 is meant to be a more traditional versioning path between 1.5 and 2.0 where if you thought of Joomla on these terms of Major versions:

Joomla V.1 = (actual) 1.0
    Joomla V.2 = (actual) 1.5
    Joomla V.3 = (actual) 1.6
    Joomla V.4 = (actual) 2.0 (NOT- 1.7)

Then you can see 1.7 for what it actually is. A direct progression between 1.6 and 2.0 rather than a major version as 1.6 really is, semantics aside. In other words, don’t expect the wholesale changes between 1.6 and 1.7 that you saw in 1.5 to 1.6. So saying that support for 1.6 will be limited is more like saying support from 1.5.21 is limited because it was deprecated not because 1.5 was phased out. Again IMHO it is more on the level of semantics. 1.7 alpha is available for download for developers or anyone who wants to check it out.

Phill Moderator

I fully understand what you are saying but there still maybe hurdles to overcome. Any code change can cause functionality problems. The key here is that with 1.7 some core chages and new features will be added and that is always going to have consequences. Where say 1.5.21 was changed to 1.5.22 or 1.5.23 etc they really are only minor changes. 1.6 to 1.7 is more of a problem and only time will tell exactly how much.

Paul Massell Friend

Phill, I can totally see why 3pd are frustrated and anxious about 1.7. The implementation of 1.6 wrt to 3pd was not handled the best and generally speaking there is some long-standing frustration wrt how things get done with Joomla from the top down. Fortunately we haven’t seen another major fork aside from some of the original “forkers” going back to Mambo.

I’m largely very happy with 1.6 though and it seems either disingenuous or ignorant for some of the 3pd to complain about 1.6 because 1.7 is just around the corner and 1.6 won’t be supported. While that is technically true again that seems semantics to me and it comes across to me at least as more of an excuse for not using the past year+ to start getting their act together for 1.6 and beyond. Some of the more significant 3pd have long standing feuds with some of the higher ups and to me (not referring to Joomlart) it seems that they’ve used this situation as a platform instead of just rolling with the punches – to the detriment of their users, members and customers.

Here to me is what I think is the key thing to take away from 1.7+ When Joomla says this “One of the major goals of Joomla 1.7 was to separate the Joomla Platform, that is the engine upon which the Joomla CMS runs, into it’s own product.”

What I read into that is that they are making the API more 3pd friendly – simpler. By separating into its own product – what I see that meaning is that they are creating a simple API for 3pd and that most future Joomla updates will no longer impair 3pd extensions or at worst require minor updates. This should be a dream come true for most extension developers. It should also be a major step forward for Joomla since it will open things up to a lot of existing products that are not Joomla-friendly and a lot of developers that would not formerly consider developing for Joomla.

regards,
    Paul

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Paul Massell 13 years, 4 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum