Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Hi,
    I updated to the latest version. In the template manager, I have invitations to update both the T3 framework and the template. If I click those buttons, what will happen?

1. This is now a custom website which has been extensively remodeled. I do use the custom.css file, but, also make edits to template.css. Because Internet Explorer does not read custom.css. Wll all my ccs files be overwritten?
    2. Mobile view also has been edited with extensive customization of bootstap.css. Will all those edits be deleted if I update template?
    3. Stock images which came with template have all been replaced with custom images. Will all of them be deleted? Will website revert to some "stockl" view with no customizations visible?
    4. In template manager, layout is no longer working. I really don’t use it. Is this the main thing which has been broken by Joomla update?
      Thanks for any answers to this problem which is only going to become increasingly common as host companies pressure us to keep our software current.
      -Jim Gribble
    Ninja Lead Moderator

Hi,

Basically, when you proceed updating new version of template, the based files of template (which come along with template by default) will be overwritten. The custom.css file will not be affected. If you add custom css into template.css file, you should backup this file first before updating.

I recommend you make a full backup of your site (just in case)

Regarding to the custom.css file in IE browser, you can use this way

<!--[if !IE]><!-->
        <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="templates/ja_university_t3/css/custom.css" />
    <!--<![endif]-->

Regards

gribblej Friend

This is helpful. If I understand, here’s what will happen:
    All custom images which I uploaded for the template will be overwritten – deleted.
    All changes to template.css and other css files will be overwritten – deleted.
    Not all edits were confined to template.css. Those files will be overwritten – deleted.
    Correct?
    Could I download all existing css files; and then re-upload them after template is updated?
    I also wondered, would it be possible to upload the new template without overwriting the old one? Then update it with my edits and custom images. And then switch over to it in the template manager?
    Finally, since the website is working fine for now, should I just wait? Is your latest version of University compatible with Joomla 3.64?
    Thanks,
    -Jim Gribble

gribblej Friend

You’re saying that custom.css can be made to work with Internet Explorer, with this code:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="templates/ja_university_t3/css/custom.css" />

<!–

Just curious where do I insert it?
    This would solve so many headaches.
    -Jim Gribble

Ninja Lead Moderator

Hi,

I checked on your site and saw the templates/ja_university_t3/css/custom.css file is existing but you can create templates/ja_university_t3/css/custom-ie.css file and add the code below to templates/ja_university_t3/tpls/blocks/head.php file

<!--[if !IE]><!-->
        <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="templates/ja_university_t3/css/custom-ie.css" />
    <!--<![endif]-->

Hope it helps

Regards

gribblej Friend

Thank you, but I am not yet comprehending. First in the template CSS root I create a new file called custom-ie.css
    What do I put in there?
    Then I add your code to templates/ja_university_t3/tpls/blocks/head.php
    Can it go anywhere, say at the top, or at the bottom?
    Can someone answer the questions I am asking, above?
    Thank you.

gribblej Friend

Am I correct, after I do this, that custom-ie.css is going to have all the modifications contained in the all-purpose custom.css file? So I will be making edits to both files? And this way neither one will be overwritten when I update the template? Sorry for being so dense.
    -Jim Gribble

Ninja Lead Moderator

Hi,

I’m not sure of what did you do on your site? But I added the code templates/ja_university_t3/tpls/blocks/head.php file as my suggestion above and you can see the screenshot here: http://prntscr.com/dgt2u4

Regards

gribblej Friend

I haven’t done anything yet but will try this solution. It seems like I am going to be creating a separate custom.css file just for IE. And any custom code edits have to be added there as to the standard custom.css file? Is that correct?
    Thank you!
    -JG

Ninja Lead Moderator

Hi,

Yes, it looks like your thinking.

Regards

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ninja Lead 7 years, 9 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum