Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

I got the error on an old machingewith win 98 and ie6

are you using ie6

lets move this to my forum as of now, check responses there

Thanks from me too, I heaviely use this myself!

mj1256 Friend

<blockquote>(Had no idea what name to chose)</blockquote>

why not, wooohanetworks

wooohanetworks Friend

Check my email I used, to be confronted with a super clean new forum with no other member posts within made me act very strange…:D Like from a internet school book

mj1256 Friend

we are working on the issue, we were finally able to recreate it, hope to have it solved soon.

thanks for the debugging help 🙂

I know about the new forum feeling, but it will fill up fast

scotty Friend

Hi MJ, Nice job. I have too suggestions for you…

1. Slow down the slideshow. It’s just a little fast.

2. Add…

a:hover, a:active, a:focus {outline: none;}

…to your CSS. This gets rid of the dotted box that appears around links when clicked in Firefox. They’re very noticable on darker pages (as they’re often white).

How do you find IDoBlog? Is it any good?

mj1256 Friend

you are right, we have not done the browser compatibility yet, thats next, IE6 is a total mess, but that wil lbe resolved 🙂

also, the download issue was resolved, it was not a browser issue, but an issue with the component I used for subscription.

wooohanetworks Friend

I quit with Joomla and VM until next year, so maybe I will use one of your CB 2.0 Highslide modules or so….;) Using VM results in too high costs as soon you cross the line to make a truly professional shop, so I will see how VirtueMart 2.0 will look, act and feel like, should be something that supports the users and not vise versa only….:D Also the shops I have seen in their showcase where a lot of time and money was invested in, those still miss those features I need and I see this as unreasonable to invest something in a platform that has messy codes, is a fork at all and will be replaced by a new system when 2.0 comes out in a matter of time.

mj1256 Friend

I think all issues are resolved and people are downloading

thanks for the css tip for firefox

as for IDOblog, its not my 1st choice, but i thought i would try it. Its OK, but I do not have a raving review of it

TomC Moderator

<em>@wooohanetworks 120345 wrote:</em><blockquote>I quit with Joomla and VM until next year, so maybe I will use one of your CB 2.0 Highslide modules or so….;) Using VM results in too high costs as soon you cross the line to make a truly professional shop, </blockquote>
    I’ve recently “reintroduced” myself to VirtueMart and have begun building my new ecommerce venture around it – and I have to respectfully disagree with you. There have been quite a few improvements and recently emerged third-party developers who offer extensions and theme improvements for VM that can make one’s store look/feel VERY professional.

Have you checked through the numerous extensions available? –> http://extensions.virtuemart.net/

Here is just an example of a 3rd Party Developer who has taken the task of developing much more professional looking/flowing flypages and checkout themes based on popular (and successful) ecommerce sites –> http://www.poweredbyvirtuemart.com

In fact, I corresponded with that site’s owner/developer and suggested a couple of additional themes he could develop/offer (including the product page/checkout theme of NetShops.com) – which he advised he liked and would be developing and posting by the 15th of this month.

Now, I am not saying that you shouldn’t go with Magento. There are still a handful of functions that Magento offers that VirtueMart does not (yet) – one of the most significant (in my opinion) is the ability to “build a product” with configurable options and corresponding price increase or decrease. I simply find Magento’s file structure system (at this time) to be far more cumbersome than VirtueMart’s – especially considering how comfortable I am working within the Joomla environment. Not only that, but the sheer variety for building a dynamic site experience that is currently available for Joomla vs. Magento is significant (i.e. much much more for Joomla than Magento).

If / When the day comes where my online business venture becomes successful and I have the capital to invest in a higher end ecommerce solution, I may very well do that. For the time being, however – the diversity and multitude available though a Joomla + VirtueMart pairing (in my opinion) tips the scales in favor of the Joomla+VirtueMart combo . .. at least for now.

Also, the pending enhancements planned for VirtueMart look exciting.

wooohanetworks Friend

<em>@tcraw1010 122089 wrote:</em><blockquote>I’ve recently “reintroduced” myself to VirtueMart and have begun building my new ecommerce venture around it – and I have to respectfully disagree with you. There have been quite a few improvements and recently emerged third-party developers who offer extensions and theme improvements for VM that can make one’s store look/feel VERY professional.

Have you checked through the numerous extensions available? –> http://extensions.virtuemart.net/

Here is just an example of a 3rd Party Developer who has taken the task of developing much more professional looking/flowing flypages and checkout themes based on popular (and successful) ecommerce sites –> http://www.poweredbyvirtuemart.com

In fact, I corresponded with that site’s owner/developer and suggested a couple of additional themes he could develop/offer (including the product page/checkout theme of NetShops.com) – which he advised he liked and would be developing and posting by the 15th of this month.

Now, I am not saying that you shouldn’t go with Magento. There are still a handful of functions that Magento offers that VirtueMart does not (yet) – one of the most significant (in my opinion) is the ability to “build a product” with configurable options and corresponding price increase or decrease. I simply find Magento’s file structure system (at this time) to be far more cumbersome than VirtueMart’s – especially considering how comfortable I am working within the Joomla environment. Not only that, but the sheer variety for building a dynamic site experience that is currently available for Joomla vs. Magento is significant (i.e. much much more for Joomla than Magento).

If / When the day comes where my online business venture becomes successful and I have the capital to invest in a higher end ecommerce solution, I may very well do that. For the time being, however – the diversity and multitude available though a Joomla + VirtueMart pairing (in my opinion) tips the scales in favor of the Joomla+VirtueMart combo . .. at least for now.

Also, the pending enhancements planned for VirtueMart look exciting.</blockquote>

I have done 6 month research and every day work with VM, so my conclusion is based on experience, modules here, modules there, they are mostly not built well, with cross conflicts in the scripts, the 1.2 will be the last edition based on php shop, afterwards you will have to decide if to still use the 1.2 or use a completely new VM that you can’t upgrade to like it is now. This alone is not good when planning to operate stores, when in around 8 months one has to change the system or again will be stuck.

Compared to other systems like Magento today, respectfully said, the VM is nothing against it and is running out.

On the first look it looks nice, nice modules, all free, or cheap, but when you would have spend half a year in a project with certain goals and task that the final shop would have to accomplish, you also would say the same. What does is bring to have a shop that is super slow unless you throw away again all the nice modules with extra scripts, slideshows and so on, as when more tha few people access a VM like that, the site breaks, the Joomla breaks and I am not the only one who knows this. The case is, when you build a shop with a few products like 100 max, just do it, maybe it will work out, otherwise, no chance. There are some stores out there that are looking kind of good and are also fast, you see no modules used at all, those are not only security risks but slow down the site and cause conflicts a lot. Still, those shops are only 60 to 80% as professional and userfriendly as a large retailer store, missing certain account and user functions VM does not bring unless you can code those or want to pay someone.

In general, please refer to my answer in my Thank you thread to your comment, this gives some more additional information.

Thanks!

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

This topic contains 25 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  wooohanetworks 15 years, 6 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum