Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Hello,
    How do I get the layout like on the dome in K2? I have installed K2 and I have categories and articles. But it does not display the same as the demo.

1. Screen-Shot-2012-02-24-at-12.04.54-PM
    TomC Moderator

<em>@infinart 302477 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hello,
    How do I get the layout like on the dome in K2? I have installed K2 and I have categories and articles. But it does not display the same as the demo.
    </blockquote>
    When you installed your template, did you do so utilizing the quickstart+sample data installation process ?

Or is this an issue of you using JA Erio for J1.7/2.5 and manually installing K2 – now trying to duplicate the K2 styling within our J1.5 demo?

infinart Friend

I have new copy of joomla 2.5 and manually installed K2.

I also uploaded the the quickstart (to see parameters) but it did not include k2. I installed k2 and it does the same.

I have a lot of articles in the first one i mention here and would prefer to get it working properly in that.

infinart Friend

Seriously. I pay hard earned money to get a nice looking template and it I can’t get it to look like the demo. Are there any instructions on how to get K2 to look like the demo????

:((

TomC Moderator

Allow me to try to explain the issue with regard to K2 and JA’s J1.7/J2.5 Templates . . . .

When JA was developing templates for J1.5, they decided it would be a great idea to not only release the standard template, but to add styling for certain 3rd party apps. Later on the K2 component became popular, so some aditional features were added – so those using K2 would have some elements of their CCK styled to fit the Joomla template.

This was great until along came Joomla 1.6. At that point the K2 developers were not planning on releasing a version of K2 that worked with Joomla 1.6 – and this carried on well into the later versions of Joomla 1.7. For nearly a year there was no version of K2 that would work with the latest releases of Joomla.

In the early days of that JA made a very tough decision and that was to continue adding K2 support for J1.5 templates then add some extensive extra styling for the Joomla 1.6 and then J1.7 versions. Users understood that there really was nothing JA could do other than send a hit man around to the K2 people with a big pointy gun and force them into action. Then just a few months ago the K2 team finally came up with a stable version of their app and from that point on K2 styling for new templates begun again. But what should JA do with all those templates from that intervening period? The decision was doubly hard with the imminent release of Joomla 2.5 closing rapidly on the horizon.

And so, the decision had to be made to not re-visit the older templates at this time. The majority of users it seems do not use K2 – so the most productive plan was for the JA Developers to work their butts off for a number of months testing and releasing all the JAT3 portfolio for Joomla 2.5 – and this work is still ongoing. So the majority of customers now have some fantastic templates that are fully Joomla 2.5 compatible.

The problem here is a smaller number of users are currently stuck without a migration path if they want to use K2. The thing is, you CAN still use K2, but it will lack some (but not all) of the specific template styling that was added as a bonus for the J1.5.x version.

At this time JA still do not know whether there will be a big push to go and re-visit older templates and add new features to them. It really is a massive task that would take a huge amount of man hours to complete. JA still have a number of components to update and test and those are the priority at the moment. JA Voice, and JA Comment are 2 examples of big components that are actively being worked on.

So what do users of K2 for J1.5 do? Well they are free to update as the templates will work but may not look 100% like the J1.5 version. They can wait and hope that by the time support for J1.5 ends that their chosen JA template will have this extra styling. They could choose to migrate to one of the newer JA Templates that JA have integrated some specific K2 styling for the J2.5 versions such as JA Kranos for example. They could ditch K2 as part of the migration process and use the core Joomla features instead/ Or they could choose a different template clubs template (though we would hope you stick with us).

It is a difficult decision to make for some and one template users from many of the template clubs face as JA are not alone here. All I can say is we too were frustrated delays from K2 and a lot of pulling of hair has been the result. Currently there are discussions underway as JA central as to how to proceed and you can be assured that when a decision is made either way you will be informed.

I hope this has helped to provide some historical perspective on this issue. We appreciate your understanding and patience .

infinart Friend

I wish i had of known that before! There should be a note near the download button for 1.7 and 2.5.

I have new installed the template on the 1.5 version. Again, the K2 template is not showing properly. What are the parameters that K2 needs to be configured too?

infinart Friend

Can you send a screenshot of the K2 parameters of the demo site??? The styling is now there but what are the layout parameters??

TomC Moderator

<em>@infinart 303459 wrote:</em><blockquote>Can you send a screenshot of the K2 parameters of the demo site??? The styling is now there but what are the layout parameters??</blockquote>
    Actually, a more practical and productive idea would be for you to download the JA Erio files to your download
    (I recommend downloading the quickstart package files) to a folder on your desktop for review and reference at your leisure.

infinart Friend

I did that but k2 is not installed in the QuickStart. So how can the parameters be set already?

infinart Friend

I was wrong. I installed the QuickStart again this time I clicked the sample data. This worked fine. YAY.

TomC Moderator

<em>@infinart 305124 wrote:</em><blockquote>I was wrong. I installed the QuickStart again this time I clicked the sample data. This worked fine. YAY.</blockquote>
    Glad to be of assistance !! … All the best with your continuing site development

🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  TomC 12 years, 7 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum