Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

I was over at bestofjoomla.com and they have release the next version of fireboard. kunena will Sanidine be able to work in it?

isgroup Friend

I dont see any good upgrades or new features in KUNENA.

Whats the deal in it ??

mihirc Friend

Hello,

I think they only changed it because they were planning to now only develop it for Joomla 1.5.x.

Also, bestofjoomla is now a portal , with all the listing and extensions directory and all that. So i think they wanted to move it to some place else. And i think, they didnt want to keep getting associated with joomlaboard, hence change of name.

This is my personal opinion, dunno what others think.

Regards,
    MIhir C.

flaviomauro Friend

<em>@isgroup 110679 wrote:</em><blockquote>I dont see any good upgrades or new features in KUNENA.

Whats the deal in it ??</blockquote>
    The deal is that fireboard project is over. Kunena is a fork based on Fireboard. At this point the Kunena team are working hard to fix some bugs, solve performance issues and to make it joomla 1.5 native, thats why we can’t see new features in Kunena.

I didn’t finished my tests yet but until now, almost everything that I had on Fireboard worked on Kunena, I found just an issue with the discussbot.

I hope that everything work perfectly for you guys.

Best Regards,

FlΓ‘vio Mauro

isgroup Friend

Just tried KUNENA. Its not compatibe with Joomla 1.5 Native. And I dont think,whats the move by BOJ team πŸ™

They could have even released new version of Fireboard..

johnnydement Friend

Kunena doesn’t has any relation with BOJ, besides having worked in latest 1.0.5 build…

Yes, kunena 1.0.8 is not yet joomla native, as our first priority was to fix some of the major bugs in fireboard, (high security risks that rendered it our of the JED for example) as well as options unusable that never worked… we fixed more than 50 bugs fromfireboard 1.0.5, and taht version was already fixing over another hundred from 1.0.4

<blockquote>I think they only changed it because they were planning to now only develop it for Joomla 1.5.x.</blockquote>
    No, we changed because WE’RE NOT BOJ, we are old moderators and developers from there that been working hard for fireboard and left alone without a notice of the abandonement of the project…

Yes, we plan to develop only for 1.5 and followers (as 1.0 is being deprecated when 1.6 is out) but we may consider maintaining a 1.0 branch if there’s enough interest and devs

Our next step is j!1.5 nativeness, improved performance (did a lot of this already), and redoing some functions (moderation on top priority) as well as redesigning a easy customization tempalte API and 3rd party extensions one…

For the OT, sanindine will not work on it unless you, or authors fix it, you can find a guide in our docuemtnation for it, I would recommend to do, as fireboard is pretty dangerous software to use.

wooohanetworks Friend

<em>@johnnydement 114636 wrote:</em><blockquote>….as fireboard is pretty dangerous software to use.</blockquote>

Tell us some more…! I mean, really tell us some more, what exactly makes FB pretty dangerous? Thanks!

johnnydement Friend

I can’t say more, as it could cause problems to sites already using, same motivation on JED not telling hte concrete issue nor BOJ, but it’s been already corrected in Kunena. It was an important security hole.

http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?p=1481804#p1481804

thatcomputerdude Friend

I use it because it works with JomSocial – the best social component for Joomla.

wooohanetworks Friend

<em>@johnnydement 114644 wrote:</em><blockquote>I can’t say more, as it could cause problems to sites already using, same motivation on JED not telling hte concrete issue nor BOJ, but it’s been already corrected in Kunena. It was an important security hole.

http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?p=1481804#p1481804</blockquote>

So, what’s the deal about http://www.getfireboard.com and that there shall be a new FB Place? Now, Kunena ist not more Fireboard, but on this domain, people shall soon see a new Fireboard.

Kind of strange….

johnnydement Friend

Have you checked that link on the latest times? because since BOJ decided kunena as successor of fireboard, that domain has been closed… have you checked BOJ (former devs of fireboard) forum lately? http://www.bestofjoomla.com)

Even if you decide to bypass that info, it doesn’t change a thing… obviously, at this stage (1.0.8) kunena looks very similar to fireboard… I can’t say enough times KUNENA IS A FORK OF FIREBOARD… because we give a crap about looks, more counting we have plans for a easier and improved template API in future versions… this release 1.0.8 is a massive bugfixing of old fireboard, including security issues, and integration between jomsocial and community builder…

In resume kunena != fireboard

wooohanetworks Friend

<em>@johnnydement 115200 wrote:</em><blockquote>Have you checked that link on the latest times? because since BOJ decided kunena as successor of fireboard, that domain has been closed… have you checked BOJ (former devs of fireboard) forum lately? http://www.bestofjoomla.com)

Even if you decide to bypass that info, it doesn’t change a thing… obviously, at this stage (1.0.8) kunena looks very similar to fireboard… I can’t say enough times KUNENA IS A FORK OF FIREBOARD… because we give a crap about looks, more counting we have plans for a easier and improved template API in future versions… this release 1.0.8 is a massive bugfixing of old fireboard, including security issues, and integration between jomsocial and community builder…

In resume kunena != fireboard</blockquote>

Because I clicked that link and no site comes up, already since weeks, I wonder what the whole deal of BOJ is about. I know it is a fork and you simply added some security to it, and the FB was removed from BOJ as to this issue they mention. I just wonder what the whole deal with the “original FB” is. They say it has some issues so they removed all the downloads, the link on their sites shows some article about Kunena and also points to the new homepage of it

No, we changed because WE’RE NOT BOJ, we are old moderators and developers from there that been working hard for fireboard and left alone without a notice of the abandonement of the project…</blockquote>

That you have come up with some new version now called Kunena is great, I just wonder about a lot of things like:

Quote from BOJ at http://www.bestofjoomla.com/component/option,com_fireboard/Itemid,38/

You can find the FireBoard files under joomlacode.org. (BUT)
    Upgrading to Kunena is highly recommended!

I do not say that the mentioned security issues are not present as described, I merely wonder about those lines that can lead to possible underestimations of the problems as the old FB siles are still available to the public but stating they recommend to use Kunena! In the matching Joomla.org Forum threads, they say they removed all the downloads. I am not about checking if there are mentioned files at Joomlcode.org, as it does not matter, when people see their FB is still on Joomlacode.org, they will often get the idea to simply not use Kunena from now, when they have their old FB installed somewhere. This note alone can lead to what I mentioned.

Kind of strange….

johnnydement Friend

This is nothignwe can do about it, as we’re not BOJ, we can just be happy and thanksful to them for marking kunena as fireboard successor πŸ™‚

And our plans for kunena are more than fireboard with these secuirty issues fixes, see our roadmap πŸ˜‰

wooohanetworks Friend

I know, good that you guys do this job, have you thought about contacting one of the JA Staff members to let them replace the FB in JA Sanidine I and II to Kunena. I think this would be some help for members here.

johnnydement Friend

I contacted thru the contact form for collaboration when we released 1.07b, weeks before we we’re releasing current 1.08 version… on the upcoming days we will be releasing 1.09, service release, that will be our final (hope) 10.x branch one, and the last non joomla 1.5 native release πŸ˜‰

We didn’t plan at first to release the 1.0.x branch, but we felt we had to give a proper ending to what was started with fireboard 1.0.5 (fxstein, kunena main dev, worked on it alone…)…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  johnnydement 15 years, 6 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum