Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

I’m trying to execute LESS to CSS as I want to make our website responsive.

It says “unexpected error. Please refresh the page try again later.”

I saw in another thread that it’s to do with memory limit. However, the host already increased the memory for us to 512MB as I had memory issues with another site before, which since then worked fine.

I also had it working before on the same server on the original website. I’m now using a test copy. It was also working on my local copy, taking very long time to compile tough. Is there no way to speed this up? Every time you make a change have to wait like 5 mins to update.

Please advise.

1. Screen-Shot-2015-04-22-at-5.52.25-PM
    Saguaros Moderator

Hi Hooftman,

If you’re familiar with LESS and are customizing your site with LESS file, you can enable the Development Mode in template manager section. Your site will load with LESS files and you don’t need to compile less to css for each time you make changes.

Once done with development stage, you can disable this ‘Development mode’ Option later and compile less to css.

Saguaros Moderator

Hi Hooftman,

If you’re familiar with LESS and are customizing your site with LESS file, you can enable the Development Mode in template manager section. Your site will load with LESS files and you don’t need to compile less to css for each time you make changes.

Once done with development stage, you can disable this ‘Development mode’ Option later and compile less to css.

hooftman Friend

Thanks for the idea Saguaros, I’ll try that. However, still can’t compile the LESS to CSS.

hooftman Friend

Thanks for the idea Saguaros, I’ll try that. However, still can’t compile the LESS to CSS.

Saguaros Moderator

As you mentioned above, there are some culprits for issue of compiling less to css:
    – Please check again with the PHP memory limit to make sure that it’s already changed
    – Try to backup your site and roll back all of your change in LESS files because if there is something with the less file, it will not be compiled

Saguaros Moderator

As you mentioned above, there are some culprits for issue of compiling less to css:
    – Please check again with the PHP memory limit to make sure that it’s already changed
    – Try to backup your site and roll back all of your change in LESS files because if there is something with the less file, it will not be compiled

hooftman Friend

There’s 512MB memory available so that should be plenty. It works on my localhost, so don’t think there’s anything wrong with the less files. I keep getting the same error on the live server with both the development site and the live site, so I think it’s server related. Since this compiling takes ages, maybe it’s the 60 second max_input_time????

Resource Limits max_execution_time Maximum execution time of each script, in seconds 900
    Resource Limits max_input_time Maximum amount of time each script may spend parsing request data 60
    Resource Limits memory_limit Maximum amount of memory a script may consume (32MB) 512M
    Data Handling register_globals You should do your best to write your scripts so that they do not require register_globals to be on; Using form variables as globals can easily lead to possible security problems, if the code is not very well thought of. Off
    Language Options safe_mode Off

hooftman Friend

There’s 512MB memory available so that should be plenty. It works on my localhost, so don’t think there’s anything wrong with the less files. I keep getting the same error on the live server with both the development site and the live site, so I think it’s server related. Since this compiling takes ages, maybe it’s the 60 second max_input_time????

Resource Limits max_execution_time Maximum execution time of each script, in seconds 900
    Resource Limits max_input_time Maximum amount of time each script may spend parsing request data 60
    Resource Limits memory_limit Maximum amount of memory a script may consume (32MB) 512M
    Data Handling register_globals You should do your best to write your scripts so that they do not require register_globals to be on; Using form variables as globals can easily lead to possible security problems, if the code is not very well thought of. Off
    Language Options safe_mode Off

Saguaros Moderator

If everything goes fine in local server, then there must be something wrong with your server. You can ask your server /hosting to check above values: php memory limit, max_input/execution time, … because some servers often limit these value.

You can take a look at this discussion which discuss the same topic: http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/compile-less-to-css-unexpected-error-please-refresh-the-page-try-again-later/#post-497351

Saguaros Moderator

If everything goes fine in local server, then there must be something wrong with your server. You can ask your server /hosting to check above values: php memory limit, max_input/execution time, … because some servers often limit these value.

You can take a look at this discussion which discuss the same topic: http://id.joomlart.com/forums/topic/compile-less-to-css-unexpected-error-please-refresh-the-page-try-again-later/#post-497351

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Saguaros 9 years, 4 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum