Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hi all

I have been using T3 for a while.
    I am about to start using an outsourced developer.
    Now that I am writing instructions for them, I realise that I am actually quite confused about the workflow involved in using T3.

I need some input on the broad steps, not the details. Please correct or re-order the steps…

SINGLE STYLE FOR THE WHOLE SITE

1. Install Joomla, custom extensions, make pages, menus etc (I prefer to have all content and functionality in place before I tackle the design.

2. Install the T3 package

3. Select T3_BS3_blank as the default frontend template

4. Go into the T3 BS3 Blank styles configuration and edit it
    – General settings suitable for the development phase – dev mode on, theme magic on, optimization off
    – Theme settings – everything except the “theme”
    – Layout
    – I generally use a single layout for the whole site, and just choose from the options that are available – e.g. default-content-left
    – I adjust the number of positions on each row
    – I adjust the responsive layouts

5. I think that I should be creating a custom theme rather than using the default.
    I am concerned that a T3 update will overwrite the default theme that I have adjusted.
    I make a new theme in Theme Magic and adjust all the settings available there.
    I then apply the theme on the theme tab.

6. I create a custom.css file for adding my CSS customisations (this part I think I understand well).

7. I go to megamenu to tweak individual menu items (css overrides and icons)

SOME PAGES NEED TO BE FULL WIDTH

Create a new style – e.g. t3_bs3_blank – Full
    Use the same theme and mostly the same settings
    On the layout tab, choose default (I guess this is full width)
    Assign to specific menu items

Use of LESS

I have a broad, thin understanding of LESS and SASS.
    I can’t work out practically where to fit changes to LESS into my workflow above, and under what circumstances.

HTML Overrides

I know how these work in relation to T3

Breadcrumb

I always want them at the top, under the menu.
    I tweak the T3 code to make this happen, but have to redo it each time I update T3.
    Is there a better way to move it?

Sticky menu

Still trying to work out how to do this in a way that doesn’t require modifications to the T3 core

ANYTHING ELSE?
    Have I missed anything out?

Thanks
    Brendon

TomC Moderator

Check out the JOOMLART YOUTUBE CHANNEL

There are many informative and helpful video tutorials on and using the T3 Framework.

TomC Moderator

Check out the JOOMLART YOUTUBE CHANNEL

There are many informative and helpful video tutorials on and using the T3 Framework.

brendonhatcher Friend

Hi Tom

Thanks for the response.

The videos are great resources for learning the “bits”.
    What I am looking for is commentary on whether I am using the bits in the right way, and doing so in the right order.

Thanks
    Brendon

brendonhatcher Friend

Hi Tom

Thanks for the response.

The videos are great resources for learning the “bits”.
    What I am looking for is commentary on whether I am using the bits in the right way, and doing so in the right order.

Thanks
    Brendon

Adam M Moderator

Hi @brendonhatcher,

1. Don’t forget about the usage of local folder where you can copy folder etc or tpls and put it here to override these files.

2. I prefer to override CSS rules via custom.css file rather than modify LESS files.

3. You can copy the mod_breadcrumbs and place it in folder HTML inside template, then modify from there instead.

Adam M Moderator

Hi @brendonhatcher,

1. Don’t forget about the usage of local folder where you can copy folder etc or tpls and put it here to override these files.

2. I prefer to override CSS rules via custom.css file rather than modify LESS files.

3. You can copy the mod_breadcrumbs and place it in folder HTML inside template, then modify from there instead.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Adam M 8 years, 11 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum