Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Hi there,

Where can i change main menu description?
    For home i know where to change but i cannot find the for the other menu option like for example Contacts, News and so on.

Regards,

Carlos Santos

Arvind Chauhan Moderator

open your menu item and on the right side look for Parameters>>system . Change the Page Title to your preference.

Hope this helps

regards

carloss Friend

Thanks for your replay.
    Your solution works whem the menu item is not a url. The menu item is a url the page title dont exist.

Regards,

Arvind Chauhan Moderator

<em>@carloss 121345 wrote:</em><blockquote>Thanks for your replay.
    Your solution works whem the menu item is not a url. The menu item is a url the page title dont exist.

Regards,</blockquote>

Yup, i realize that now, this amazes me too, m stumped and let me see if i can find a solution to this. By default its taking the title of menu item as description.

Arvind Chauhan Moderator

Ok got it.

Take a backup first and then open your templates/ja_olivine/ja_menus/Base.class.php

Look at the code around line 170:

[PHP] //Add page title to item
    if ($level == 0 && $this->getParam(‘menu_title’)) {
    if ($this->getPageTitle($iParams)) {
    $txt .= ‘<span class=”menu-desc”>’. $this->getPageTitle($iParams).'</span>’;
    } else {
    $txt .= ‘<span class=”menu-desc”>’. $tmp->name.'</span>’;
    }
    }[/PHP]
    Change it to this
    [PHP]
    //Add page title to item
    if ($level == 0 && $this->getParam(‘menu_title’)) {
    if ($this->getPageTitle($iParams)) {
    $txt .= ‘<span class=”menu-desc”>’. $this->getPageTitle($iParams).'</span>’;
    } else {
    $txt .= ‘<span class=”menu-desc”>’. $tmp->alias.'</span>’;
    }
    }[/PHP]

Let us know if it works. Waiting for your input.

regards

arvind

Arvind Chauhan Moderator

In your menu item (external link) put the description you want to be displayed to get the above fix to work. But it shows – in between words. Working on it, lets see if i am able to fix that too.

Arvind Chauhan Moderator

Menu alias if written with space such as “this is title alias” is converted to “this-is-title-alias” automatically. Thats joomla default routing i guess. Not sure where to turn this off or alter it. This shall however will have global effects too, of which i have no guesses.

Now even i am waiting for expert opinion over this. Can’t think of any special character that will be formatted to space after routing.

Arvind Chauhan Moderator

As is the case with external url in joomla menu items, it does not leave us with any parameters or page title, and the only thing that can be pulled to the description is the “title alias”. which can be achieved by the code edit as above. but “title alias” with special characters is auto combined together without space, and if we put space then the space is converted to -.

Here is the quote from Joomla Alias routing rules :

<blockquote>The first step is the generation of the so called alias. The alias is used in the URL instead of the title (the title is the text you want to have in the url). The alias has to be URI safe, which means accented UTF­8 characters are replaced by their ASCII­7 equivalents, white spaces by hyphens, etc.</blockquote>

The whole entry can be read here http://docs.joomla.org/Routing

carloss Friend

Hi,

You code works, but when i write something like Aplicações de Gestão the text is transform to aplicacoes-de-gestao which is not correct in portuguese.

Regards,

Arvind Chauhan Moderator

<em>@carloss 121368 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi,

You code works, but when i write something like Aplicações de Gestão the text is transform to aplicacoes-de-gestao which is not correct in portuguese.

Regards,</blockquote>

Yup, please read all my replies, i have mentioned the reasons of the same in my replies. The transformation is because of joomla routing. May be the template developer find a way out for this, currently i am stumped and waiting for expert input over this. Sorry mate. That was all i could do. There might be a way out but i cant think of that now.

carloss Friend

Many thanks.
    I will tried to find something.

Regards,

Carlos Santos

John Wesley Brett Moderator

Okay … who wants to buy the beer!!!

Install JUMI – the greatest single little component ever! Sort of like a Joomla Can Opener.

Once you’ve installed it:

1. Goto COMPONENTS > JUMI
    2. Click “NEW”
    3. Give it a title and add this in the CUSTOM CODE

4. <?php
      header( 'Location: http://www.yourExternalSite.com/' ) ;
      ?>

– Make sure to change “www.yourExternalSite.com” above to whatever URL you want to jump to.

5. Click SAVE
    6. Goto MENUS > and the Menu You Want to put your link in
    7. Click NEW
    8. Choose JUMI
    9. Add TITLE
    10. In Parameters (Basic) select the Jumi File you Created
    11. In Parameters (System) Add what you want in the 2nd menu line to Page Title
    12. Buy John a Beer! (Or at least click Thank You)

Seriously JUMI can do just about anything. It’s an amazing little gizmo.

Have fun!
    John.

Arvind Chauhan Moderator

Hey John,

It works :D. Ha ha. That’s amazing stuff you did with jumi. This should go as sticky in atleast Ja olivine Forum. 3 years into joomla, for once i am amazed.

Well the thread isn’t mine but would love to buy you beer. Now tell me how do i buy you a beer :p

learned a great tip.

thanks and cheers

arvind

John Wesley Brett Moderator

Thanks Drarvindc!
    Jumi is amazing…with it you can put modules in content, modules in modules in modules.
    Just about anything you can think of that little guy can do. I came across it a couple of months back and its been a life saver. The main Jumi site has a bunch a tips and tricks you can use it for.

Have a GREAT week.
    John.

carloss Friend

Problem solve.
    Many thanks to all

Regards,

Carlos Santos

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

This topic contains 15 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  carloss 15 years, 6 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum