Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hello,

I am interested to make the Joomla more secure.

I have been looking for any Joomla extensions that will make the registration more secure. Right now, anyone who registers — provide a username and legitimate email address — is automatically registered.

I have been looking at the Joomla Extensions site, it is possible I am using the incorrect key words for the search (registration, permissions, security) but I have not found one that seems to address the issue.

If you know any extensions, I would appreciate this.

I am interested with a system that will require an Administrator approval. If possible also, if the notification to the Admin for a new registration goes to the Administrator, it will include not only the username, email address but also some other information requested in the form (except the password to protect the privacy of the registrant).

A related issue is the permissions process (that would include the permissions also for registration). Right now, for the Joomla it only has three: Public, Registered, Special. [By the way, how do you use “Special”?]

I am interested to have one where you can specify a group and then add people into that group.

TikiWiki has the most advanced permissions system that I know of — you can literally specify permissions by page, if you want to.

Thanks.

Cornelio

cgc0202 Friend

Not sure if it is the solution but someone suggested Community Builder. I heard both pros and cons for this extension, but I paid for it already. I like the captcha though, it has some audio component.

If you have a better alternative, I would appreciate any feed back.

Thanks.

Cornelio

php_guy Friend

I recommended Community Builder IMHO.
    I have used it for a long time and the overall is good.

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@php_guy 37142 wrote:</em><blockquote>I recommended Community Builder IMHO.
    I have used it for a long time and the overall is good.</blockquote>

Indeed, php_guy. I uploaded it in a number of the sites I am developing. The Registration security for now is adequate, and I like the simplicity of the captcha, plus the added audio to go with it.

Some Featues seem to break my layout for the JA Teline though. But, it may just be due to the placements.

I have to read more about the CB and its features. Maybe you may know some solutions to some of them. May I send you a private mail sometime?

Thanks.

Cornelio

Menalto Friend
    cgc0202 Friend

<em>@Menalto 37200 wrote:</em><blockquote>Take a look at this two here also:
    http://joomlaequipment.com/content/view/48/79/
    http://www.byostech.com/</blockquote>

Thanks Menalto,

I looked briefly at them. It seems to me, the software were more really geared towards getting information from the registrants, and that is good in a sense because I would be interested with some of the information, like knowing you the person is.

I will read more on the softwares.

However, my main interest in terms of security is more on access and permissions, especially from the Front End.

Right now, the Joomla system has:

Publisher
    Editor
    Author
    Registered
    Public

What I needed is the ability to create unlimited subgroupings, for example: Familty (or even FamA, FamB, etc.), Relatives, Friends, Office mates, etc.), so that some specific contents may be targeted much more specifically. And, then, to be able to assign what each group can do.

TikiWiki has that capability already, and one of the best I have used so far. In fact, you can specify access and permissions privileges control ddown to each file, if you want. In fact, the beauty of TikiWiki’s is that it is the “permissions” that are specified. And the, after you have defined the nth groups, you may then decide what groups would have ability to access or perform each specific permissions (edit, delete, rollback, etc.) wrt each file, or categories or sections, etc.

The only problem that I have with TikiWiki is that it is a very bloated CMS, many of my visitiors with older computer or slow connection could not open the pages I created (it goes blank or will stall).

Coppermine Photogallery (CPG) has a slightly less elaborate permissions than TikiWiki since it was more intended as access to images, but it is still much much more advanced that Joomla;s very limited.

I believe some Forum boards have similar capabilities, but again not as refined as that of TikiWiki

Something similar to TikiWiki or even the other ones I mentioned above would be preferred than the default grouping and automatic permissions for Joomla.

Cornelio

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@php_guy 37142 wrote:</em><blockquote>I recommended Community Builder IMHO.
    I have used it for a long time and the overall is good.</blockquote>

Hi php_guy; and Menalto (or others who might have used Community Builder. I am gettting the

“Invalid Security Code”

when I login, whether the captcha feature of the Community Builder was turned on or off in the login in module. For one thing, the “captcha” form does not appear in the login module — whether the captcha function was turned on or off, for login.

Have you encountered this before?

Cornelio

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  cgc0202 16 years, 9 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum