Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

I recently switched my site’s template from Ja Cooper to Ja Nickel.

I wanted something that was easier on readers’ eyes since there’s a lot of fiction on my site.

I haven’t addressed that issue where some of the right modules really ugly yet – but otherwise… So far – I think I’ve got it working like I want:

Link: http://www.tonyamoore.com

Suggestions and critiques are much appreciated. 🙂

nguyenhuu quang Friend

Very nice
    Good Job

theprofessor Friend

Excellent looking site. Nice and clean.

I love the lined paper background on some of the modules. Funny — I have done something very similar on an old website I built (it was built at Homestead, LOL). You can see it here: http://www.schoolyourpool.com (Not sure if it even displays properly. That was the very first website I ever made).

Anyways. If I could make one very small suggestion for change it is that the text for Latest Updates is bumpin up against the background image. I would add a couple px of padding in the ja-bullettin (template.css).

I see it is like that on other pages where there is article content…which I think looks fine. Maybe it’s just me but for the headlines it did jump out at me when I first loaded the page.

Otherwise, awesome job!! 😎

mikodragonfly Friend

Thanks quang268 & theprofessor

@theprofessor – I think I know what you mean – for some reason, it’s not appearing that way on my monitor due to the size and resolution – but I did see something of the sort when I tried loading my site on a work computer which uses a lower resolution and IE6.

I’m going to do as you suggested – and try to get a look at it on a comp w/ a smaller monitor to see how it turns out – thanks for the suggestion! 🙂

Nice job w/ http://www.schoolyourpool.com – and that was your first site? Awesome.

theprofessor Friend

<em>@mikodragonfly 130941 wrote:</em><blockquote>Thanks quang268 & theprofessor

@theprofessor – I think I know what you mean – for some reason, it’s not appearing that way on my monitor due to the size and resolution – but I did see something of the sort when I tried loading my site on a work computer which uses a lower resolution and IE6.

I’m going to do as you suggested – and try to get a look at it on a comp w/ a smaller monitor to see how it turns out – thanks for the suggestion! 🙂

Nice job w/ http://www.schoolyourpool.com – and that was your first site? Awesome.</blockquote>

For what it’s worth, I’m viewing with Vista OS and the latest version of Firefox. it really isn’t that big of a deal, but sometimes the tweaking the smallest things can make big improvements!

And thx for the kudos on the site. Yes, that was the first one. I knew nothing about website building (still know very little). I build it in December of 2008, and we already outgrew the capabilities of Homestead and had to get onto a CMS fast, so I’m building my first Joomla! site right now. Lots to learn! 🙂

ps5t0ck5 Friend

Hi

Site looks very good, my only comment would be that the background graphic on left detracts from information in articles and often text disappears into the image. Similiar comment I suppose to the professor… either more padding or maybe put image in a custom module? Then you could vary when and where it appears.

PS I’m looking at the site in IE7, Vista OS, monitor res 1440 x 900 if that helps.

🙂

sfpkent Friend

Nice! Neat and clean. 🙂

Arvind Chauhan Moderator

Hi mikodragonfly,

That’s a great effort there, i love the design. It does has the tinge of JA template, but difficult to make out the template name by its look. I had to look into the page source to confirm that its JA Nickel in action.

To me it appeared bit slow, so ran it through http://analyze.websiteoptimization.com. You are loading 18 Java scripts and 21 CSS files, plus 18-20 not found files. May be you can remove the references to the not found files, atleast your HTTP requests will go down and decrease bit of server load.

regards

arvind

sunrise Friend

Hi mikodragonfly. It looks nice. I liked the old one as well, but as you said, this one is easier on the eyes. Very easy, very pleasant. You’ve done a great job at adapting the template to your own style.

mikodragonfly Friend

Hey everyone -Many thanks for the great and very helpful feedback.

I was able to make a bunch of improvements due to your responses.

@ drarvindc – thanks for the tip – I’ll get that resolved first chance I get. 🙂

@ sunrise – I love the old one too – honestly if I didn’t also find it hard tryign to read the fiction posted on the site with ja-Cooper, I probably would have stuck with it for a very long time. 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  mikodragonfly 15 years, 4 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum