Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I was contacted by a customer who hosts large scale auctions offline, and is interested in offering online auctions. I know there has been some discussion about JA offering this type of template, but what I really need is a solution now. While checking on the Joomla Extension Directory, I found very few options. The Auction Factory has one of the more developed products, but the reviews were not good. Another product, WDC-Auction, only gives you the option of selling bids to visitors. When I asked if there was a way to toggle this functionality to a more traditional auction format (like Ebay), they replied that they could modify it for an additional $960. I think I’ll pass.

So, my question is whether anyone has had any success developing an auction site with a Joomla extension or any other approach? Thanks in advance.
    Brent

TomC Moderator

Greetings Brent:

What specific functionality are you looking for in the auction component?

brentsr Friend

The core basics would mimic a traditional auction. The visitor must register to bid. Bidders compete on timed auctions, and the winner is directed to PayPal or a payment gateway. The auction company can easily add photos and descriptions to items with a flexible backend interface. Of course, features where a registered user could “watch” an item, set up automatic bidding up to a specific price, etc. would be nice additions. Stability with a large number of concurrent users would be a definite requirement.

My client had mentioned http://www.swicoauctions.com/online/ as being a similar business model. She is working on a list of requirements, but I told her I would investigate what was available out of the box. I’m surprised at the sparse options. It would seem like there would be many traditional auction houses wanting to move to an online forum, since an auction’s success is typically based upon the number of interested buyers in attendance. Given the number of business liquidations, foreclosures, etc. right now, it seems like there would a demand for this type of template/script/extension.

Personally, I’m not making a formal request for JA to develop an auction template, since I have no idea if I will ever have a client contact me about an auction site again. However, if it did exist, I would be very interested today. I agree JA does need more e-commerce templates/options.

TomC Moderator

<em>@brentsr 275376 wrote:</em><blockquote>
    Personally, I’m not making a formal request for JA to develop an auction template, since I have no idea if I will ever have a client contact me about an auction site again. . . .</blockquote>
    Well, if you did … you wouldn’t be the first –> CLICK HERE

😎

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  TomC 13 years ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum