Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Hi Everyone

I’m currently developing a new site and I want to develop it in a new domain name rather than a subdomain.

However, I don’t want it to be picked up by the bots, nor do I want the client to see it until it’s completely finished 😉

So, is it possible to actually password protect an entire site?

To clarify: trying to access the home page, or any other directory or page on the site would produce an admin login panel?

I’ve searched around extensions.joomla.org but can’t find anything that would do this.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

wooohanetworks Friend

This is to be done with a properly written htaccess file in the root. I have no direct link, just google for “htaccess password protection”. Does all what you require without touching the Joomla at all.

Much success!

artmyth Friend

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/howto/htaccess.html

Careful about those htaccess generators – you might find on search engines,

If you host on a server that provides direct admin or cpanel theres a menu option to password protect your directory.

when I want to do this I first create a sub folder called public_html/something
    under public_html I also deny access to robots to that folder in my robots.txt file
    password protect the something file – after you install joomla and have deleted your installation file and installed any additional components you might want – I have experienced difficulties with password protected folders during instalation.

Id like to have the time to install my own small server to develop sites on my own home netowork then upload.

moving the finnished client approved site is relatively simple when done – in direct admin its as simple as copy and paste and a few changes in the confrig file

cheers

wooohanetworks Friend

I do not refer to htaccess “generators”, but to sites that teach you how to write those.. Thanks for the info though…!

questbg Friend

Many thanks both. Very intersting reading! I’ll check my Admin CP too in case I can protect the folder via that method.

anisjolly Friend

just put the site into maintenance mode.

global configuration in the joomla backend

much easier

questbg Friend

Sorted! Many thanks anisjolly, works perfectly and I can still login to see the front end development!

Cool 😎

anisjolly Friend

no problems mate.

just glad i could help 🙂

scotty Friend

Anisjollys suggestion is correct. However….

There is one drawback of using this method. As it’s a new site, if google index the site they will cache it with ‘this site is closed for maintenance….’ and this will be shown in SERP.

If you use .htaccess then google will not index the site at all as it has nothing to read.

Your host will almost certainly have a function to ‘password protect’ directories. This function will write and install the .htaccess file for you.

The joomla closed for maintenance function should only be used for very short term closures.

anisjolly Friend

i do agree upto a certain extent but you can modify the maintenance text to say under construction or something to that extent.

🙂

cjmicro Friend

The admin cpanel is probably the easiest way to do it. I just did it for one of my sites and it seemed you could do it with the root directory so hopefully that will help.
    Cheryl

dakruhm Friend

You could just develop it on a localhost / local server and then transfer it to a live server. That’s what I would do.

questbg Friend

Hi Cheryl

<em>@cjmicro 107959 wrote:</em><blockquote>The admin cpanel is probably the easiest way to do it.
    </blockquote>

I spoke to my hosting company this morning and they advised using this method too. I checked out my Admin CP and there it is … “Directory Protection”!

So, I just protected everything from the ‘html’ folder down and it’s working fine.

Many Thanks
    Chris

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  questbg 15 years, 8 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum