Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

To Joomlart Staff:

Almost two weeks ago, I expressed my intention here to buy one of the Magento templates subscription option. But, quite a number of the key questions I asked remain unanswereed (see Feedback Forum).

I have less than two weeks to come up with a working e-commerce site. Frankly, I am mainly considering the Magento because of all the hype it is getting, But, since I cannot even try it, beyond looking at a Demo, I am not too sure that it is really much better than the VirtueMart.

And, even if Magento is better than VirtueMart, it will be difficult to get on board with the tepid responses to the questions I asked.

Is this the same kind of response that I would get when I encounter a technical support issue with Magento?

So far, khoand is doing a good job responding to some of the ideas and issues I encountered with the standard Joomla-VirtueMart eCommerce template. So, for now, I am more inclined to stick to the latter.

Let me know when you are ready to support Magento. And, that would begin satisfactory answers to pre-sales questions asked.

Cornelio

TomC Moderator

Ask yourself this one question . . . .

How many successful, known/reputable VirtueMart based ecommerce sites are out there compared to successful Magento based ecommerce sites?

http://www.magentocommerce.com/blog/category/magento-spotting/

http://www.magentocommerce.com/casestudies

😎

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@tcraw1010 242810 wrote:</em><blockquote>Ask yourself this one question . . . .

How many successful, known/reputable VirtueMart based ecommerce sites are out there compared to successful Magento based ecommerce sites?

http://www.magentocommerce.com/blog/category/magento-spotting/

http://www.magentocommerce.com/casestudies

:cool:</blockquote>

Tom,

I am not sure how “unbiased” those studies are, partly because of the source. It is more anecdotal rather than one that has undergone the rigors of statistical analysis from an independent group.

I am just running out of time.

We are risking hundreds of thousands of dollars of investment that could be marred simply if the online site malfunctions — simply because we do not have the in-house technical expertise to deal with unexpected mishaps.

I can’t risk launching a site using a Platform and a template that I know nothing about with no indication that I would ge the technical suport needed if something goes awry. So far, I am not impressed with the support.

I visited the websites of the local competitions, and whatever I can make on my own would be much much better than they already have. I may ask someone locally to customize it a bit, later on.

There is a big event coming this mid June and of course the 4th of july “week bash” here. The major events before the “rich” students and young professionals (major customers) come back during the fall term.

In the end, it is the products that will sell the business, not the website (although, of course, the latter makes a difference). And how the people behind selling them that will tip the balance.

My partner has more than 25 years experience in the business. He was the manager of the top local competition for 18 years, until it was bought by new owners during the economic downturn. He wanted to move to Las Vegas, Texas or LA where he was being recruited. But, I persuaded him to stay and try it on his own, as owner-partner and manager. Greater risks but also greater rewards.

[My part in the business is throwing in a “few bucks” to experiment with a new project. If it succeeds, it has long term potentials for getting into the US market that one of my relatives want to explore.]

Since my partner had long term personal relationships with many of the major vendors over the years, they were willing to provide us line of credit (almost a hundred thousand, so far) even without any proof of financial support — so we do not even need a bank financed loan, except personal funds for the capital expenditures and day-to-day expenses.

In contrast, the new owners of the top competiton would not have the same line of credit because they ran into financial difficultires during the last economic downturn; and have to “pay cash” to get new products. Based from my analysis of their existing website, they are relying mainly on “rentals” from their old stock. Only a few new items. Their brick and mortar store is not very accessible to the major customers, especially the business customers located in the heart of the city.

For eighteen years, the face of the business of the competition — to both vendors and major customers — was my partner. We are banking that they would be loyal to him. To sweeten the deal and persuade major customers, we priced many of our products around 10-20% less than those of the major competition. I wanted to be more aggressive in the pricing but my partner cautioned that he did not want the new business to be tagged as “discount store”. However, he agreed to the promotional discounts for “new customers”. And, I hope I can persuade to other modes of attracting new customers and developing loyal customers, in the long run.

I visited the store of the other local competition. They just do not have the diversity of products that we already ordered, and we are not finished yet. They are in a more accessible part of the city than the top competition, but it is still “out of the usual route” as far as the social circuit of the city is concerned.

Location, location, location. For now, we expect the e-commerce site to introduce the business to former clients of my partner- until we sign a deal for the physical location. We expect most of our business (almost 90%) late this year to come initially from foot traffic. Since it is an impulse buying kind of business from more well-off students and young professionals — seeing and trying the products will make the difference.

If we get a good lease deal with the high traffic, high end location I am eyeing on, then we even have greater chance of success.

I can always replace the website platform later. Perhaps, by then we can afford a more customized looking website, including some unique features I have in mind. It may be better to start from “nothing” to build the site. There are many local talents to help. If not, I can always tap people from back home.

I am banking on the principle however that if you have good products, good business plan, good and motivated staff, and good location — they are the backbone of a good business.

When these ingredients are provided, even a “bad website” can be very successful. Craigslist has proven this. Man small businesses have become highly successful relying on the ugly eBay site to reach their customers. And, my partner has successfully run the business for years, without a very good website.

Of course, I still want a good websie to go with all of the above. But, it will not be the dealbreaker.

Cornelio

jessy_30 Friend

I am glad to read the post. I have some data now that I could use as reference. Thanks

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  jessy_30 13 years, 5 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum