Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I am about to set up my first Joomla web site with a Joomla 1.5.3 minimum installation (enhancements: German language, JA Newsflash). I made some small formatting changes in the css file (remove uppercase and similar).

I am unable to display the menu as shown in the Mageia live demo (only square bullet standard representation without highlighting comes up).

I have tried quite a number of things – only with “split” menu, the split part is displayed correctly (see enclosed pictures with screen shot and template/menu settings) – so under certain circumstances the menus appear to work correctly. The page can be reached under http://www.abdagon.com/j1 (it’s in German).

I could not locate the documentation for the template – it’s mostly “trial and error” so far.

Any hints and help would be much appreciated!

Thanks
    Peter

1. 2008-07-13-JoomlArt-Mageia-Menu-Issue-Screen
    2. 2008-07-13-JoomlArt-Mageia-Menu-Issue-Template-Settings
    3. 2008-07-13-JoomlArt-Mageia-Menu-Issue-Menu-Settings
    cgc0202 Friend

<em>@janes_p 66222 wrote:</em><blockquote>I am about to set up my first Joomla web site with a Joomla 1.5.3 minimum installation (enhancements: German language, JA Newsflash). I made some small formatting changes in the css file (remove uppercase and similar).

I am unable to display the menu as shown in the Mageia live demo (only square bullet standard representation without highlighting comes up).

I have tried quite a number of things – only with “split” menu, the split part is displayed correctly (see enclosed pictures with screen shot and template/menu settings) – so under certain circumstances the menus appear to work correctly. The page can be reached under http://www.abdagon.com/j1 (it’s in German).

I could not locate the documentation for the template – it’s mostly “trial and error” so far.

Any hints and help would be much appreciated!

Thanks
    Peter</blockquote>

Hi Peter,

Your site is not showing. I have not used Magela so I may not be able to be of great help.

If you are just beginning: Did you try the Joomla 1.5.3-JA Magela QuickStart Kit, if there is any? If not try it, and see if you can at least get the Demo page.

Cornelio

Menalto Friend

Are you talking about the menu on left side?
    If so go to the main menu module(or whatever module you have for menu there) and check the Module Suffix field if you have anything there, if you dont, put in _menu in the suffix field and see if it changes.

janes_p Friend

Thanks to Cornelio and Menalto for their quick responses. A few clarifications:

– I have corrected the link, it is pointing to the site now
    – It is the menu on the left which is not working properly; Main Menu equivalent has “_menu” as Module Class Suffix (I verified)
    – I am currently in the process of checking with Quickstart (upload running); I already did a number of Joomla and template installs, but it’s certainly worth a try

Is there a Mageia configuration description which I could use to resolve the issues?

Thanks
    Peter

janes_p Friend

Solved 🙂 (at least partially): I loaded the Quickstart example (and it is necessary to load the sample data!), and everything works fine with the example. Reason: I had the “Menu Style” set to “list” (doesn’t work), in the example it’s set to “Legacy – Vertical”. After changing to “Legacy – Vertical“, my site displayed correct menus as well.

In the example, there is not even a “_menu” Module Class Suffix. As I found out, “Legacy – Vertical” doesn’t interpret Start and End Level parameters.

To my understanding, “list” is supposed to be used for Joomla 1.5 onwards, while “Legacy – …” was used in Joomla 1.0. From my point of view, this should be brought up-to-date in the template (or am I wrong here?).

Thanks for your help
    Peter

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@janes_p 66245 wrote:</em><blockquote>Thanks to Cornelio and Menalto for their quick responses.

Is there a Mageia configuration description which I could use to resolve the issues?

Thanks
    Peter</blockquote>

You did all the work Peter.

Whatever came with the Demo page, the link by Hung

http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/ja-mageia-readme-bug-reports/

and those solved in the Magela site

http://www.joomlart.com/forums/forum/ja-mageia/

would be the extent of the Literature available. Which means not much, we are trying to resolve these issues among ourselves through a Collaborative Support Group. We want to have multinational translation of what we create. A German translation would be welcome addition if you wanted to help translate.

<em>@janes_p 66249 wrote:</em><blockquote>Solved 🙂 (at least partially): I loaded the Quickstart example (and it is necessary to load the sample data!), and everything works fine with the example. Reason: I had the “Menu Style” set to “list” (doesn’t work), in the example it’s set to “Legacy – Vertical”. After changing to “Legacy – Vertical“, my site displayed correct menus as well.

In the example, there is not even a “_menu” Module Class Suffix. As I found out, “Legacy – Vertical” doesn’t interpret Start and End Level parameters.

To my understanding, “list” is supposed to be used for Joomla 1.5 onwards, while “Legacy – …” was used in Joomla 1.0. From my point of view, this should be brought up-to-date in the template (or am I wrong here?).

Thanks for your help
    Peter</blockquote>

Good beginning. I visited the site, you work fast. Already translated at least some of the sections, categories and some links.

I do not know much about the second part. Menalto may understand it better.

Cornelio

janes_p Friend

Cornelio,

Thanks for the positive feedback on my site 😀 – currently it’s German only (still struggling with multilingual content), the Joomla translation comes from the language file (not my credtis).

Thank you for the documentation hints. I went through this information before, however some of the nitty gritty details are not fully covered.

Newbie question: Since the problem is solved, can I change the the thread status by myself?

<blockquote>We want to have multinational translation of what we create. A German translation would be welcome addition if you wanted to help translate.</blockquote>

I do not fully understand what exactly you are aiming to translate (documentation?). Joomla translations are covered by language files, multilingual content is highly complex and should go into Joomla core (see projects JoomFish, M17N – I was only partially successful so far).

A word about translations: In one of my projects, we translated documents in four languages (these things are quite normal in Switzerland) – the effort grows exponentially. Given the limited volunteer resources I would say English documentation is perfectly ok. IMHO it is certainly worth to invest some effort in making sure templates and documentation are up-to-date (Joomla 1.5 like, details documented).

I can support where appropriate. As you might have guessed from my site, I am ramping up my own company – so it would be on an “as available” basis.

Thanks again for your support
    Peter Janes

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  janes_p 16 years, 2 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum