Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I do not have a lot of web site developing skills, been using Microsoft’s Frontpage. How hard is Joomla to use/learn and also, is it hard to customize the templates in your template program. I really like what I see, I just do not want to make the investment into something that might be too daunting or time consuming. I would appreciate any input.

Devin

Hung Dinh Friend

Hi Devin,
    From my 4 years of experience using Mambo and Joomla, I myselft see that most of Joomla users does not have programing skill, most of them are webmaster/administrator or business people. If you have some Frontpage and HTML skill, you wil get used to use Joomla very quickly.

If you decide to use an CMS either commercial or opensource, it will take you sometime to play arround and get used to it and using templates is the first part of the story. Customize our templates basically include the following task

– Intall template/Quickstart package with latest Joomla version + JA Template (We have a step by step instruction)
    – Add/Edit remove joomla content (write article, adding images)
    – Add/Remove some html content if you wish
    – Changing some css line (eg: changing colors)
    – Install/Uninstall JA components/plugins

If you do not want a big cusomization (eg: changing the template fuctions) then I will end up saying “You can do it, or can learn to do it”

dreuther Friend

Hung, I really appreciate your answer. I am not looking for too much big customization, at least I do not think I am. Out of curiosity, could you look at my current site, I won’t list it yet, as I do not want this to be taken as spam, but I would appreciate your input. Let me know and I can send you the link.

TomC Moderator

To work with a Joomla based site, you need to at least familiarize yourself with basic css web design concepts (i.e. customizable parameters, div designation, etc.) and how css works/interacts within the Joomla template structure.

From there, it wouldn’t hurt to try to learn some php scripting basics – even if just the most common syntax and commands. This will help you to learn/understand the structure within a Joomla based template/site.

Taking both of the above together, good old fashioned experimentation is the key.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  TomC 16 years, 6 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum